LegacyGT.com

carrying a canoe LGT wagon

My 17' Kayak sits upright on the Thule Rollercoaster (rear) and the Hydroglide Saddles (front). With the front edge of the cockpit coaming right at the front cross bar and the the rear cross bar about 8" behind the rear edge of the cockpit coaming, the cross straps lock the kayak in place so it can't go forward/aft/side-to-side on the top. It doesn't sway side-to-side as I'm driving or bounce up and down and, it's rock solid secure enough that I don't use front and/or rear tiedowns. If I were going out in the desert with where the high cross-winds might present a problem, I would try it first without the tie-downs and only add them if the wind became problematic.

I actually used to top my canoe upright and that ended much of the side-to-side, up and down difficulty. Harder to set up but once you're done, it's good to go.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

You don't see many aluminium canoes these days and there is a good reason for that. I believe it happened in Canada where a guy was transporting his metal canoe on his car during a lightning storm. A bolt struck his car and the canoe and permanently welded the canoe to the vehicle. Worse yet, another guy in Canada was struck by lightning during a portage and the canoe welded itself to his head.

You don't see many aluminium canoes these days and there is a good reason for that. I believe it happened in Canada where a guy was transporting his metal canoe on his car during a lightning storm. A bolt struck his car and the canoe and permanently welded the canoe to the vehicle. Worse yet, another guy in Canada was struck by lightning during a portage and the canoe welded itself to his head.

Double Yikes!:eek: :eek: First I'd heard that. Wonder which kind of weld it would be considered TIG or MIG... in both cases???? :)

SBT

Hey all,

This may be an old concept, but since the newer japmobiles are all plastic in the front, you can go to an underhood strap system. Haven't actually had to do this to my LGT (and will hopefully never have to... that's what the beater truck is for), but I don't see why this wouldn't work. Someone give it a shot and post the results.

thanks,

http://www.redrockstore.com/canoetie/canoetie1.htm

http://www.redrockstore.com/toptieinstall/index.htm

Wow - I had forgotten all about doing this. Thanks! and you don't have to farcle with trying to tie off "below" and "over" the bumper/grille/hood area and worrying about it being secure to the canoe/kayak and non-abrasive to the paint. Added bonus is that the straps are not directly in front and, located off-to-each side of the fender, could help with corner gauging.

SBT

• 3 years later...

That sounds like a myth to me.

Get Mythbusters on it! :lol:

• 5 months later...

Archived