LegacyGT.com

Zeal V6 Coilovers!!

Xenonk

This is the last time you'll see these babies CLEAN! [img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/40461/pic19.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/40461/pic20.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/40461/pic21.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.speedoptions.com/members/38458/40461/pic22.jpg[/img] [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v91/stillwill/Myles%20pics/Zeals/DSCN1497.jpg[/img] going to go install them now.. Keefe
Keefe

Ok, I finished only half of what I really wanted to do with the car tonight, but the coilovers are on the car.. (stupid 140 lbs ft self-locking nuts are :evil: ) I managed to realign the front of the camber and toe to the following specs throughout the whole install: Camber: -.5 degree on the camber bolt, -2.0 from camber plate, total -2.5 degrees Toe: I set my stock toe to 1/16" out, so right now the car is at 1/32" out. Castor: Ran out of time Ride Height Drop = 2.0" front, 1.75" rear Corner Balancing = Ran out of time Weight Reduction = 16 lbs, (stock fronts are 20 lbs each, new Zeals are 15 each, stock rears are 8 lbs each, new Zeals are 5 lbs each). Spring Preload = 1/4" compression front, 0" rear Rear Fender Roll = Ran out of time (will need to roll for 18"x7.5" 40mm offset rims with 225/40/18 tires, stock specs are fine). I'll have to do the corner balancing and finalize the toe and ride height no later than Thursday night.. I have an autox in about 3 hours.. (it's 4:30am for me right now, I just finished cleaning up..) Took the car for a test drive.. my impression already is :D :o :D :lol: 8) :twisted: More info later on Sunday night. Thanks for Racecomp Engineering for the install and alignment specs. Keefe
Keefe

Talk to my sponsor, [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] and they can work something out for you. I wasted no time and already autox the car with them on.. like I said, I didnt get the chance to do the FULL adjustments.. I ran the car with 45 psi front (hot) and 44 psi rear [225/45/17 Falken Azenis]. I havent really decided for the ride height and clearance issues yet.. but here's something to feast your eyes on: [img]http://www.kedawerx.com/bim/autox/racecomp.jpg[/img] I set the shock adjustments to 4 out 6 (6 is the hardest) and 3 out of 6 for the rear. Lemme tell you one thing, I am not sure how well the Spec B shocks/springs work, but these V6s are amazing.. I reset the shocks back to level 1 all the way around (full soft) and took my parents and my gf around town for the rest of the night, and they couldnt tell that I had upgraded the suspension at all.. stock ride! NO JOKE! NO TEETH CHATTERING, BACK BREAKING, GO-KART ride IF you dont want it. These OWNZ! :lol: Keefe
Keefe

Adjusting the shocks (dampening settings) are by turning a knob that clicks.. it's shown on the pictures if you can see numbers on the adjustment knobs.. for the fronts, it's on the bottom of the car, just stick your arm up and feel for the knob on the strut.. you can do this without lifting up the car. For the rear, you climb inside your trunk and lift up the interior panel to reveal the top of the reart strut, the knob is on top. The adjustment knob are the same as the fronts. This is the easiest of all three to adjust. These coilovers are 2-way adjustable in terms of ride height (raising and lowering the car) and pre-load of the springs (crushing the spring by raising or lowering the spring perch to simulate the car to think it's cornering already.. thus gives you a harder and more responsive ride).. Usually, you can just count the number of turns on hte spring perch and the threaded body to know how much you move. 1 full turn on these threaded shock body is 1/8".. this is really easy to do since the coilovers with spanner wrenches to unlock the opposing perches. The camber plate is easy as well, but figuring out initially of what the increments mean will require you to have some kind of camber gauge.. I made my own camber gauge, and it's good up to a tenth of a degree. The camber plates are held by 4 screws of which you just loosen so that you have enough play to just move the top of the strut left and right for camber.. this is also easy for me to do, but maybe harder for some people if they dont know what the car's camber measurements are without an aid of a tool. The tool I use is actually a Craftsman Digital Leveler made with some bracket system out of bolts, nuts and some metal plates with holes in them. The last one is the hardest do: corner balancing.. you'll need digital race scales for this job.. typical scales of these can be found at [url]www.longacreracing.com[/url] for their racing products. It's something that people turn away due to it's cost and not to mention that no typical driver for public road driving will ever care to know or even feel what a car feels during cornering differences left or right. You can look up "corner balancing" on google to find more information. Some things you can do yourself, and some can be done by a shop due to the cost of some equipment.. I personally do it all myself because I have the tools to do it.. my autocrossing/track team ( [url]www.salazar-racing.com[/url]) all chipped in to get the corner balance scales, made all sorts of alignment tools and are accurate for racing/seat time use. It all depends on how far you are willing to do your own work.. Ever since I had my WRX, I decided to all the work myself.. of all the money that a shop would charge me for installation, I used that money to just buy myself the tools, jacks, air tools, etc. and learn everything I need to know from the internet.. there's just a lot of information out there to absorb. After said and done, my car never saw the dealership ever again, and I know I trust the car because I am the one doing the work on it. Keefe
Keefe

Wow...very nice! 2 of my friends have Zeal B2 coilovers, (Civic, 240SX) and they work great! They ride a bit too harsh for me but it's also probably because they need to be rebuilt. I'd follow this route as well but I can't justify the costs (as you probably can) since this car is primarily a daily driver. I'll likely never change ride height if I had them anyway (which is the purpose of coilovers I guess) and I don't want to get corner balanced/aligned every time I change the settings. Since you're team supplies this stuff, I could see you changing settings frequently, but most of us aren't so lucky. :P That and my car won't see enough of the track to put those babys to use.... Nice setup though! Zeal units, from my experience are some of the best made! How much did they run you (if you don't mind) BTW?

[quote name='Drift Monkey']Wow...very nice! 2 of my friends have Zeal B2 coilovers, (Civic, 240SX) and they work great! They ride a bit too harsh for me but it's also probably because they need to be rebuilt. I'd follow this route as well but I can't justify the costs (as you probably can) since this car is primarily a daily driver. I'll likely never change ride height if I had them anyway (which is the purpose of coilovers I guess) and I don't want to get corner balanced/aligned every time I change the settings. Since you're team supplies this stuff, I could see you changing settings frequently, but most of us aren't so lucky. :P That and my car won't see enough of the track to put those babys to use.... Nice setup though! Zeal units, from my experience are some of the best made! How much did they run you (if you don't mind) BTW?[/quote] My car IS a daily driver.. the car is only 1 month old and I have already changed the oil twice and it has 5000 miles on it already. Your friends might need to lessen the pre-load to get the harshness out of the ride.. I justify the cost by actually autocrossing the car and what not.. and the fact that I like a very tight controlling car. Changing the ride height for the weather (snow) or track use is helpful. You want some clearance on public roads. Once you do it enough times on changing the settings, you'll know what to change them to and so forth. I do calibrations of alignments and other suspension settings every weekend for autocrossing on my WRX.. it's not a pain if you are really into preserving the tires for daily driving and changing to a full aggressive setup when you are doing motorsports... it's the ups/downs of having a daily driver and running the car. The coilovers are the solution for this purpose. It's too bad you guys are not on the East Coast, otherwise I would ask you all to be at the [url]www.subaruchallenge.com[/url] and get a ride with me in a car that is set up for autocrossing, but still variable and even acceptable enough for public road driving. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk'][quote name='Drift Monkey']Wow...very nice! 2 of my friends have Zeal B2 coilovers, (Civic, 240SX) and they work great! They ride a bit too harsh for me but it's also probably because they need to be rebuilt. I'd follow this route as well but I can't justify the costs (as you probably can) since this car is primarily a daily driver. I'll likely never change ride height if I had them anyway (which is the purpose of coilovers I guess) and I don't want to get corner balanced/aligned every time I change the settings. Since you're team supplies this stuff, I could see you changing settings frequently, but most of us aren't so lucky. :P That and my car won't see enough of the track to put those babys to use.... Nice setup though! Zeal units, from my experience are some of the best made! How much did they run you (if you don't mind) BTW?[/quote] My car IS a daily driver.. the car is only 1 month old and I have already changed the oil twice and it has 5000 miles on it already. Your friends might need to lessen the pre-load to get the harshness out of the ride.. I justify the cost by actually autocrossing the car and what not.. and the fact that I like a very tight controlling car. Changing the ride height for the weather (snow) or track use is helpful. You want some clearance on public roads. Once you do it enough times on changing the settings, you'll know what to change them to and so forth. I do calibrations of alignments and other suspension settings every weekend for autocrossing on my WRX.. it's not a pain if you are really into preserving the tires for daily driving and changing to a full aggressive setup when you are doing motorsports... it's the ups/downs of having a daily driver and running the car. The coilovers are the solution for this purpose. It's too bad you guys are not on the East Coast, otherwise I would ask you all to be at the [url]www.subaruchallenge.com[/url] and get a ride with me in a car that is set up for autocrossing, but still variable and even acceptable enough for public road driving. Keefe[/quote] I know you DD your car, but I'd probably have to ride on your car on the softest setting to prove to myself that it is civil enough for DD. :oops: Like I said, I'd never change the ride height so springs/struts would likely be a better choice for me, and that's besides the fact that I'll probably won't see the track/auto-x that many times in a year. If they were cheap enough maybe....but I know the quality that goes into those units so I'm sure they were pretty pricey (close to 3k IIRC).

V6s are more expensive than B6s.. [url]www.endlessusa.com[/url] is the MSRPs.. [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] worked out a good deal with me and a partial sponsorship to get these coilovers to make a point that the GT is every bit modify-able and competitive as the WRX at the Subaru Challenge.. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']V6s are more expensive than B6s.. [url]www.endlessusa.com[/url] is the MSRPs.. [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] worked out a good deal with me and a partial sponsorship to get these coilovers to make a point that the GT is every bit modify-able and competitive as the WRX at the Subaru Challenge.. Keefe[/quote] Yeah, I meant close to 3k. 2.8k at RCE.

[quote name='Dr. Zevil']Those look very nice! I am looking to get rid of that "floaty feeling" of the suspension and love the idea of being able to adjust them. Very nice. Please keep posting impressions are you "recieve" them ;).[/quote] One thing that I dont like about the rear suspension design of the GT and with these coilovers is that ride height adjustments are going to be akward. The lateral links, control arms, and the such that it triangluates and are all level plane of the locking perch for the ride height spindle, meaning it's very hard to get the spanner wrench in there without something getting in the way.. other than that, everything else is fine.. I am sure I'll find some way to adjust it without this minor problem. Other than that, the coilovers are working fine and the car still has that floating feeling if you set it to level 1 (softest)... the car and still have that "skipping/skimming" feeling during a bump in the turns.. but I think that can be fixed with a use of a bigger sway bar in the rear and possibly adjust the alignment and dampening settings. Keefe
Keefe

I just looked up that the Zeal B6 and Zeal V6 are doable on your BP body.. just have to make sure that you are ordering for a BP body.. a sedan is BL.. It's too bad that I dont know if Zeal is covering the differences between BP4 vs BP5 and BP6.. but as far as I know, they are grouping the BP5 and up together.. see [url]www.endlessusa.com[/url] or ask Myles at [url]www.racecompengineering.com[/url] for more info. Keefe
Keefe

Yes that is the max tire for a 7.5 in rim according to Bridgestone for the S-03 Pole Positions - 8 in is the size the tire was measured on. The tread is over 2 in wider than the stock RE-92s . There are 8 in rims but they were a lot more expensive than the 7.5s. I thought about 8 in rim and 255/45/18 but that only bought another .4 " in tread width and cost a lot more over the 245/45/18s. [url]http://www.bridgestonetire.com/dpp/[/url] Thanks charlie

Archived