LegacyGT.com

Spec.B... 1St Place

Great choice on the wheels! I've been wanting to see those exact ones on a silver LGT, and I'm not disappointed! More pix please, after the iON's go on!!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

• 3 months later...
Actually, the rough texture of the "leather" would build up a cushion of air that might indeed push air over the hood scoop. Or it just might be an excuse to sell you a more expensive deflector...

Ummmm.... no.

The rough texture actually would likely encourage turbulent flow, reducing the boundary layer, and getting MORE air into the hood scoop. (Think of why a golf ball has dimples).

If there was a "flare" at the trailing edge caused by the piping of the bra, that might create a low-pressure area too close to the intake and not be a good thing, but it doesn't look like there's much of such a thing there, so I'm not sure why SOA would recommend against it.... other than maybe they agree it's ugly.

Pete

Ummmm.... no.

The rough texture actually would likely encourage turbulent flow, reducing the boundary layer, and getting MORE air into the hood scoop. (Think of why a golf ball has dimples).

If there was a "flare" at the trailing edge caused by the piping of the bra, that might create a low-pressure area too close to the intake and not be a good thing, but it doesn't look like there's much of such a thing there, so I'm not sure why SOA would recommend against it.... other than maybe they agree it's ugly.

Pete

all the non turbo bra's I've seen have a "flare", I would assume for that purpose. Not just on subarus, but just about all bras.

Isn't that what the loop is on most other car bras?

Ummmm.... no.

[snip]

Pete

I was thinking more like shark skin. The roughness actually encourages laminar flow by holding "motionless" air next to the surface. This results in air-to-air friction, which can be considerably less than the friction of air against a smooth surface, which likes to grab and release air and under some conditions actually increase drag. It depends on the relative velocity of the object and the viscosity of the fluid it's moving in.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Turbulent boundary layers are bigger than laminar...

On a streamlined object, you want a laminar boundary layer because the turbulent boundary layer has more skin friction drag.

If you did create a turbulent boundary layer, neglecting the pressure differences which should help suck in air, you would not get air in the scoop till about 110 mph. The laminar boundary layer is getting it by 30 mph...

Ted

:spin:

On a streamlined object, you want a laminar boundary layer because the turbulent boundary layer has more skin friction drag.

If you did create a turbulent boundary layer, neglecting the pressure differences which should help suck in air, you would not get air in the scoop till about 110 mph. The laminar boundary layer is getting it by 30 mph...

Ted

Cool. Thanks for the info, Ted!

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Great choice on the wheels! I've been wanting to see those exact ones on a silver LGT, and I'm not disappointed! More pix please, after the iON's go on!!

I went with coilovers instead... FLT-A2 High Performance Coilover System

http://www.jic-magic.com/ViewProduct1.aspx?ProductID=33&CarModelID=109&CarMakeID=9

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v511/MacR32/LGT-SpecB/PICT0008-1.jpg

Ted

You are probably right (it's been 20 years since engineering school), but if I recall correctly, turbulent boundary layers are thicker yes but develop quicker than laminar ones, hence my supposition - you are likely to be closer to u(max) at the intake, despite the erratic flow.

I'm not sure where you are getting your numbers from, but would be interested in it.... not disputing you, just curious.

Pete

I love how this was supposed to be a congratulatory post about how great it is that you won the trophy and all i've read is "TAKE IT OFF!!!" "GET RID OF THAT BRA!!" so funny, congrats on the win man, car looks spectacular.

p.s. get rid of the bra...

I love how this was supposed to be a congratulatory post about how great it is that you won the trophy and all i've read is "TAKE IT OFF!!!" "GET RID OF THAT BRA!!" so funny, congrats on the win man, car looks spectacular.

p.s. get rid of the bra...

True That...

It's OK,

The bra is gone, not because some don't like it but just because it was something I was experimenting with and it didn't appeal to me.

I like the fact that people speak their mind instead of keeping thing bottled up or just been phoney about things.

Mac, where did you get those mud/rain flaps?

Congrats on winning.

Is that a CF lip spoiler?

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Thanks...

The mud flap where installed by the dealer and the rear lip spoiler is a JDM from;

http://www.rallitek.com/jdmleparelip.html

oh sweet...those muds are stocks and they look good.

thanks.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

Archived