LegacyGT.com

Insurance on the Legacy GT compared to TSX and others..

obviously this will vary, but according to Progressive (my carrier) it's going to cost me LESS to insure my 2005 Legacy GT Limited than it currently costs me to insure my 2002 Maxima. A Whooping $320 per year LESS!! That's great news. For comparison sake I asked them to quote the Acura TSX as well to see how the "competitor" stacked up? Well, another advantage goes to the Legacy GT. The Acura TSX (and this was quoting a 2004 model since the 2005's aren't even out yet would cost about $208 more per year to insure than the LGT. Then I plugged in the Volvo S40 T5. Being a Volvo, it was the lowest. It would be about $85 less per year than the Legacy GT. Progressive (like most) rate cars on a scoring system (1 to 20) 1 being lowest risk 20 being highest. Legacy Scores: 8's for Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision TSX Scores: 11 for Liability, 14 for Comprehensive, and 12 for Collision Volvo S40 T5: 2 for Liability, 1 for Comprehensive, and 9 for Collision. So, in the average person driving 15,000 miles per year, they'd "save" about $163 dollars in gas driving a TSX over the LGT. *Hardly worth it for the loss in performance the TSX has.* But, they will very likely pay more than that difference in the insurance premium. Therefore, advantage = Legacy GT. Wonder how the TSX guys will take that FACT??? There goes their "but you save money in gas with the TSX theory." The Progressive rep stated the Acura has high theft and break in rates. I had her compare the TSX to the Honda Accord EX V6 sedan too. Though there's A LOT more Accords on the street and they're stolen a lot too, the Acura was still higher than the Accord. Which was still higher than the Legacy GT. Thought that those of you considering the TSX or LGT might want to know this too!

520 a year or each 6 months? Thats crazy it cost over 4000 a year up in New Jersey but the Legacy in New Jersey only cost about 1500 which was a nice break.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='c_hunter']We have a TSX and an Outback XT. They both cost around $320-340 a year to insure in Virginia. Our previous cars: 03 Forester XS was $400 a year, and the 03 WRX was $520 a year! Craig[/quote] Man - that's like another planet! In Mass the base charge is $1700/yr (I checked two different providers) but luckily with a safe driver discount it's down to $1100.

[quote name='Sub-attraction'][quote name='Driver72'] Legacy Scores: 8's for Liability, Comprehensive, and Collision [/quote] For now... until the insurance companies catch on that this is not the Legacy of old.[/quote] *crosses fingers* They won't! Don't wreck these (ala wrx)!

insurance also has a lot to do with age and demographics as well....if you are male below 25, you get socked....the WRX for me for insurance was off the charts...it would have been close to 300-350 / mo. the only insurance claim i have had to make in the last 6 years was a break in to my old car just 3 months ago.... The tsx for me was lower than the LGT, not by much, maybe 20 / mo, so thats nothing...as far as i am concerned. I have to admit i was rather surprised when i got the insurance bill, the LGt was surprisingly cheaper than i thought it would be....but there are too many factors to compare to get an avg rate....

Yeah, and another thing I've noticed now too. My insurance on my 2002 Maxima went UP $110 every six months beginning October 1st. That's $220 a year. Why? I asked. One of the reason, because of the theft rates of the HID headlights. Insurance companies have now caught on...cars with HID headlights are now starting to pay a premium for them. In places like New Jersey they are stolen so often, that many people are selling their cars (Maxima's) with the HID's just so they won't get $1,500 to $4,000 in damage to their cars from the loss of the headlights. Makes me kinda glad the LGT Limited doesn't have the HID's and also the fact I'm selling the Maxima (found a buyer) I'll be saving myself $220 a year to insure it. It's funny, the 2005 LGT Limited full coverage dropped my insurance $238 a year over the 2002 Maxima. Probably another reason why the TSX has higher insurance...it's a Honda owned car with HID's

• 2 months later...
Age does have alot to do with it. I am 24 and right now my insurance is 118/mo on my truck, but when i turn 25 it will drop to 77 mo. if you want 6 month premiums, it goes from 708 every 6 mos to 462. Things really do get better with age :lol: !! Nick

My wife's family and our friends live down in New Jersey. So she is trying to get me to move down there. But after seeing what you guys pay for insurance, I don't think we can afford that! Our 2000 Maxima is ~$50/month here in Western, New York through Gieco. Luckily, I am 27, so I have the 25+ discount already. That is good to know that the LGT is pretty inexpensive to insure. I am sure it will go up once the insurance companies start getting claims when ~18 year olds crash it while racing. Hopefully they will stay with WRXs.

Archived