LegacyGT.com

winter rims for GT

Salty

I have been thinking about this myself. I think your better off to leave the stock wheels on for winter. Then you can buy some nice wheels and tires for the summer. Then again the stock wheels only weight 18lbs. Does anyone know how much OEM wheels cost? My thought is OEM will handle the bad weather better. Lets see what other people say????

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Guest *Jedimaster*
I agree on the stockers- that's what I'm putting on for the winter- along with the stock rubber- [i]that[/i] should be interesting! But the stock wheels are painted and clear coated very nicely- they look like they'll stand up to years of Northeastern winters.

[quote name='jedimaster']I agree on the stockers- that's what I'm putting on for the winter- along with the stock rubber- [i]that[/i] should be interesting! But the stock wheels are painted and clear coated very nicely- they look like they'll stand up to years of Northeastern winters.[/quote] And when the stock wheels start to look bad from too many winters, you can have them powder coated.

[quote name='outahere'][quote name='jedimaster']I agree on the stockers- that's what I'm putting on for the winter- along with the stock rubber- [i]that[/i] should be interesting! But the stock wheels are painted and clear coated very nicely- they look like they'll stand up to years of Northeastern winters.[/quote] And when the stock wheels start to look bad from too many winters, you can have them powder coated.[/quote] Or strip the remaining clear coat, sand a bit and repaint/clearcoat?

alloys in winter have in my experience withstood salt far better than steel rims.I must have had 8 vehicles in our household with seperate winter rims over the last 10 years and the steelies are always rusting, the alloys are always fine (except on the RV which can't be washed till spring!)

[quote name='Tide']i'd recommend picking up a used set, there may not be many Legacy rims out there for sale yet, but you can pick up WRX rims for 300-400 a set with rubber if you look on other sites.[/quote] 17" are required because of the larger brakes. There are a number of low-dollar alloys on TireRack.com or if you can pick up an extra set of GT wheels, you might be able to get a good deal on them, but 16" WRX wheels I believe will not fit.

[quote name='SUBE555'][quote name='Tide']i'd recommend picking up a used set, there may not be many Legacy rims out there for sale yet, but you can pick up WRX rims for 300-400 a set with rubber if you look on other sites.[/quote] 17" are required because of the larger brakes. There are a number of low-dollar alloys on TireRack.com or if you can pick up an extra set of GT wheels, you might be able to get a good deal on them, but 16" WRX wheels I believe will not fit.[/quote] Yeah, but 17" wheels off from a wrx wouldn't fit? There are probably some of these floating wround from people who traded/sold/wrecked their wrx's...

[quote name='scubie02'][quote name='SUBE555'][quote name='Tide']i'd recommend picking up a used set, there may not be many Legacy rims out there for sale yet, but you can pick up WRX rims for 300-400 a set with rubber if you look on other sites.[/quote] 17" are required because of the larger brakes. There are a number of low-dollar alloys on TireRack.com or if you can pick up an extra set of GT wheels, you might be able to get a good deal on them, but 16" WRX wheels I believe will not fit.[/quote] Yeah, but 17" wheels off from a wrx wouldn't fit? There are probably some of these floating wround from people who traded/sold/wrecked their wrx's...[/quote] They'd fit just fine! 8)

Archived