LegacyGT.com

HID FAQ

Drift Monkey

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have a question. I installed the McCulloch HID kit a week ago, and i noticed that when i first turn my head lights on at night, for no more than a split second the light is nice and bright before it rapidly changes to just a moderate level of lighting, anyone know if this is normal, or if that burst of light is what it should normally look like? Also, anyone think or heard of this HID mod setting of a CEL?

[quote name='jerami1981']I have a question. I installed the McCulloch HID kit a week ago, and i noticed that when i first turn my head lights on at night, for no more than a split second the light is nice and bright before it rapidly changes to just a moderate level of lighting, anyone know if this is normal, or if that burst of light is what it should normally look like? Also, anyone think or heard of this HID mod setting of a CEL?[/QUOTE] Could it be a fusing question? There is a slot in the fuse box for an HID fuse, and I believe that some people do upgrade the fuse. Kevin

Chuck...i did a search for the McCulloch kit on ebay, they have different kelvin bulb ratings. One thing is, when you make the order, well if you do, make sure to specify your bulb type. I thought this meant which kelvin i wanted and ignored it since it seemed redundant, but they meant the actual bulb fitment, which in our case is a H7. Install was quite easy, hardest part IMOP is finding a suitable place to mount all the equipment :) If you get them and have any questions i'll do my best to answer. I got the 8,000K and they shipped for about $315.00 GtGuy, I assume you are reffering to the HID fuse slot in the engine bay. I was trying to read the fuse locater for that fuse box in the dark and its all backwards and i was tired of fooling around with my CEL problem, so my question is do you know if there is already a fuse in the slot and people just get a diff fuse, and if so what are they using, or whom do i inquire this too, and if it is empty from the get go i guess its still the same, what are people putting in it.

[quote name='jerami1981']I have a question. I installed the McCulloch HID kit a week ago, and i noticed that when i first turn my head lights on at night, for no more than a split second the light is nice and bright before it rapidly changes to just a moderate level of lighting, anyone know if this is normal, or if that burst of light is what it should normally look like? Also, anyone think or heard of this HID mod setting of a CEL?[/QUOTE] Might be the ballasts firing up...

Thats the start up process. Its normal. If you ever get into a lexus, acura, bmw, etc. you will notice that when you turn them on, they are a nice blue and after a little bit they stabalize. Now, if you keep turning them on and off it wont really happen because they are already "warmed up". How is the HID lighting compared to stock and what kelvin level did you go with?

I went with 8,000 K, it has a more blue glow, i have pics of my stock headlights in my parents garage, when i get a chance i want to take pics of the HIDs for an equal comparison. I think my long distance vision at night is a bit less, but most everything seems to glow which helps it stand out better, and its a crisper light. I have a pic of them at night shining into some pine trees, there was a flash from the diggy cam as well, but i don't think it made much of a difference. I am also going to post pics of the actual headlamps in the dark, for comparison.

1921490230_DSCN1959copy.jpg.4396c34d263703444644ceee846c161d.jpg

1731228414_DSCN1958copy.jpg.e5ed8f810c5429669473a31c4fa1551f.jpg

1156140723_DSCN1953copy.jpg.467f312bddad5205b0a84c53f602da1e.jpg

Man...you went way too far up in the kelvin scale...If you wanted to upgrade your lighting you should have gone 6k max(looks and performance), but since you went 8k, you lost a little light. I plan to go 5300k (a rare temp. but it gives off more color than stock systems (4300k) yet puts out more light than 6k's)

[quote name='SFGR415']Man...you went way too far up in the kevin scale...[/QUOTE] SFGR's post is correct, but the typo about going "too far up in the kevin scale," though he mean [b]Kelvin[/b], implies that suddenly, the poster in question is going to be asking too many questions about everything, saying the stock car is great, etc, etc. Very funny. :lol: Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']SFGR's post is correct, but the typo about going "too far up in the kevin scale," though he mean [b]Kelvin[/b], implies that suddenly, the poster in question is going to be asking too many questions about everything, saying the stock car is great, etc, etc. Very funny. :lol: Kevin[/QUOTE] hahaha:lol: you are a good sport Kev.

-Hatt

2005 Obsidian Black Legacy GT 5MT Un-Limited Sedan

[quote name='doomonu']I was wondering if there are any kits so that i can change my 9007 bulbs to something nicer like projectors so I wouldn't blind oncoming traffic if I upgrade to HID lights.[/QUOTE] Hmmm...haven't heard of it as of yet....but maybe the aftermarket makes some projectors? Maybe search around a bit. DM has never heard of projectors for MY99 Legacies.

• 2 weeks later...
There are certain kits that allow for a high beam pattern. these kits use a moving shield or moving capsule to generate the high beam pattern. McCulloch kits have been debated to have a high failure rate and and cause alot of unwanted glare since they are not used in a housing designed for HID optics. Alot of info learned over at [url="http://www.hidplanet.com"]www.hidplanet.com[/url] and [url="http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/"][u][color=#800080]http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/[/color][/u][/url]

• 2 weeks later...
Here is a cool chart I found today while searching for PIAA lights: [b]HEADLIGHT BULB CROSS REFERENCE[/b] 1. An H4 bulb is also referred to as a 9003 or an HB2. 2. A 9004 bulb is also referred to as an HB1. 3. A 9005 bulb is also referred to as an HB3. 4. A 9006 bulb is also referred to as an HB4. 5. A 9007 bulb is also referred to as an HB5. 6. H.I.D. bulbs are referred to as 9500, D2R, and D2S. 7. H1, H2, H3, and H7 bulbs are usually referred to as such.

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Epitaph']They definitly do blind people, just last week i had a soda can thrown at me because of them...[/QUOTE] [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=118318&postcount=20[/url] You have 9007's. Daniel stern refuses to sell even overwattage bulbs for 9007. You're the reason we can't get good legal kits..

[quote name='Deer Killer'][url="http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=118318&postcount=20"]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=118318&postcount=20[/url] You're the reason we can't get good legal kits..[/QUOTE] Oh yea?

Archived