LegacyGT.com

Edmunds Inside Line review of 07 Spec B

They are wrong, the chassis of the Legacy is stiffer than the STi, they are talking about the springs more than anything...

Ted

This is not my experience so far with my 1.5 wk old STI. There's that dreaded, uneven place in my driveway that when I back the cars out makes the body structure of my LGT creak & groan like an aging frigate...which gnaws on me each and every time I pull the car in/out the driveway. My STI doesn't flex at all over this area.

Road & Track did a comparo of 7 AWD sedans in their 3/2006 issue, and they also said that, "{The LGT} can find its way around a track, too, despite moderate body roll and what feels like the least-stiff structure...." Pg 74.

I would consider the chassis to be pretty stiff and the suspension is what is so soft. When you jack the car up from the front jack point the rear tire almost comes off the ground. The structure is firm, just not the suspension.

On a side note, the new Limited wheels would probably force me to get aftermarkets. They look like wheels from a Kia.

You wanna talk about chassis flex, pick up a 93-01 GC/GM/GF impreza :lol:

I'm surprised Edmunds didn't show an acceleration/performance comparo in the article, something like: "The GT accelerated to 60 in 7.5 seconds and the Spec.B in 7.499, clearly not blah blah blah" This is afterall Edmunds, I know senior citizens who drive their daily drivers more agressively than Edmunds test vehicles :iam:

I was hoping for some comments on acceleration differences between the 5MT and 6MT. I figured there'd be something said if 0-60 required a shift into 3rd on the 6MT. I guess we'll have to wait a little longer still for performance numbers.

My guess is that the difference in acceleration between the 5MT and 6MT will be small. The 6MT has a longer final drive ratio (numerically smaller), and I think Edmund's mentioned longer gears overall vs. the STi 6MT. Thus, any gains that could be had from good, closely-spaced gears in a 6MT will be effectively neutered.

My guess is that the difference in acceleration between the 5MT and 6MT will be small. The 6MT has a longer final drive ratio (numerically smaller), and I think Edmund's mentioned longer gears overall vs. the STi 6MT. Thus, any gains that could be had from good, closely-spaced gears in a 6MT will be effectively neutered.

Less shifting=faster ET. Taller gears won't hurt as much as having 5-6 up shifts to get through the 1/4mi or 3 to get to 60. Give the STI a 5MT and it should be quicker.

Less shifting=faster ET. Taller gears won't hurt as much as having 5-6 up shifts to get through the 1/4mi or 3 to get to 60. Give the STI a 5MT and it should be quicker.

So a 4MT would be faster? A 3MT?

So a 4MT would be faster? A 3MT?

That's not how it works. It also depends on how much power a car has and at what rpms that power is produced. Longer gears are better utilized when you have a ton of power all over the rev range (i.e., an American V8). For example, HPA motorsports makes a twin turbo system for the R32. The stock gears are so short that the all that power wouldn't be utilized very well. They offer a longer/stronger gear set to make better use of the power. Short gears just aren't necessary when you have 550hp. :)

A 6sp would be nice in the LGT, but not a 6-sp with lengthened gears. That defeats the purpose. It isn't really necessary, anyway. Short gears are generally for motors with narrow power bands.

I've been driving an Outback 2.5i as a loaner car for the past few days. It has a 4EAT. It's slow as balls. That trans has very long gears. As a result, the poor car can't get out of it's own way to pass.

honestly with these fluctuating gas prices and sometimes driving in situations where you can't dodge traffic and take off....the SI drive will save a pretty penny in my opinion in the long run....only thing is that it will be unaccounted for....i'll be sure however to post my mpg in intelligent mode....for as long as i stay in it...heh ...probably the whole break in period....when i get my Spec B...

It would be great if we could get an AccessPort to modify the SI drive maps, so we could get real economy and REAL performance. I might consider upgrading to a new car for that.

2006 LGT LTD 5MT Brilliant Silver

Cobb AP w/ TDC S2 protune

Crucial DP

K&N Filter

Cusco F&R Sways

Tein H-Techs

Cobb F&R Endlinks

Kartboy SS

Xtec HID 5000K

You could always use the Impreza guage... not all that useful for the typical Legacy buyer (reads in MPa) and looks like crap on the steering column but if you have to have guages...

Archived