LegacyGT.com

My Audio Install

mikerc971

Ok, I'm starting this thread now as I have just purchased my new audio setup. Once I get the parts and do the install, I'll update with pictures and other info.

Car: 2005 Legacy 2.5i Sedan

Ordered from Crutchfield:

Pioneer DEH-P4800MP CD/MP3/WMA Player

Polk Audio db 650 6-1/2" 2-way Speakers (ordered two pair)

Pioneer CD-SR100 Steering Wheel Infrared Remote Control

I ordered from Crutchfield because you get all the wiring harnesses and speaker brackets for free. The big plus is that they also provide the custom faceplate for the dash as well.

I currently own the Sirius Starmate ST2 and have it mounted to my windshield. As part of this install, I'll be moving it to the cubby above the clock.

Wish me luck! :icon_lol:

Hmmm.... if you use those brackets (assuming they provide enough clearance for the speakers), you need to make sure you make a sealing gasket using some thick foam rubber... basically cut a donut shaped gasket to seal the front of the speaker to the grille opening on the door panel. Otherwise it's going to sound like poo because a lot of acoustic energy will leak around the speakers and behind the door panels.

Hmmm.... if you use those brackets (assuming they provide enough clearance for the speakers), you need to make sure you make a sealing gasket using some thick foam rubber... basically cut a donut shaped gasket to seal the front of the speaker to the grille opening on the door panel. Otherwise it's going to sound like poo because a lot of acoustic energy will leak around the speakers and behind the door panels.

Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to do that. I assume that the rubber gasket is put in place to absorb the shock of the vibrating speakers right? Otherwise it'll vibrate the door panel and that will sound like poo.

Use mattress foam (available at any fabric store). Make the inside hole slightly bigger than the moving parts of the speaker and the outside diameter around 4 inches bigger than the inside hole (2 inches all around the inside hole). You can use strong double-stick tape to glue it to the door structure. The foam should be thick enough that the door panel compresses it when it is put on without distorting towards the center of the speaker (you don't want any moving part of the speaker to be hitting the foam).

the one time most GT owners wish they had a 2.5i just to make it simple to swap radios.

Good luck with all that man!!!

+1. Our options are cleansweep or a major expensive wiring hackjob

"Barack Obama, mothaf#%@a! Barack Obama! I'm the president...of hittin' the ass!" -this is not a political view it's merely a quote from a hilarious tv show.

Uhhh... no... I wasn't referring to foam baffles behind the speakers, but rather to foam GASKETS between the front of the speaker and the door panel.

Ahh i see my bad dude. A good place to look would be a hardware store and get some of the weather seal foam stuff. Its like foam tape and they have all kinds of zizes and thickness

Sully

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

Got my parts today! Wow! Shipping in two days. Now that's service!

FYI - The Polk DB650's that I got came with foam gaskets like msmith mentioned. I also got some 1/3" sticky rubber tape at the local home improvement store that I'm going to put on the back of the speaker grilles on the door panel to reduce the vibration there. I will have pictures and more info after this weekend!

Archived