LegacyGT.com

Best Summer Tire for Wet Performace? *virgin post

absolute

Without considering other factors, what is the best summer tire in the rain?

Also, with that tire what is the widest size you recommend? I want to use the widest tire I can without replacing the stock suspension on my 2005 LGT Sedan.

The only definitive answer I have found is the Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3 from the article in Road and Track in Dec 2005.

This is my virgin post... please be gentle :icon_wink

Quoting myself from another thread about the Toyo T1-Rs.

Two days ago it poured here, I mean 1/2 inch standing water on the road, most cars only going 75 kph vs 100.

First time I really drove my T1Rs hard in the rain.

If it wasn't for my Aqua-Pelled windshield and my Valeo wipers I would not have been able to drive near as fast.

I played around for a while. testing lateral grip and stability, and then took off (closed track of course). I easily attained 200 kph (120 mph) in what seemed like about 1/2 inch standing water. I don't know for sure the depth of the water, but it was raining so hard that the whole road was like a shallow lake. BTW I don't recommend doing this unless you know the pavement is very even and the water won't have little deeper puddles in it. Anyways the car was totally stable, a lot of fun. It felt like I was flying an F16 about 2 feet above the water. In the rear-view mirror nothing was visible, to the sides nothing was visible, just straight ahead at mach 2, woo hoo!

Only problem I encountered was I almost drove past my turn. The lateral grip of the tires fooled me into thinking I could slow down in time. Actually I could, but the stupid ABS was being overly sensitive. I have an ABS defeat switch, but didn't think of it till it was too late. What I really need is a switch for the ABS defeat that is on the shifter, anybody have any ideas?

Eagle F1 G3 DS

Toyo T1-R

or any other similar tread design of those two which has large siping shoulders and a very tacky/sticky rubber compound.

225/45/17

Thanks everyone for all the information, I'm defiantly going to get one those 2 tires.

As far as the size, I should have mentioned I'm buying new 18" wheels. Are those tires wider than most? I was thinking I could fit 235-255/35/18 based on what I read in your "FAQ: Offsets, Sizes for..." thread.

I have run the F1's and the predecessor to the T1-R's, the T1-S's. I think overall I would give the nod to the F1's, but maybe the T1-R's have stepped it up over the T1-S's. I just found the T1-S tires to be way to soft in the sidewall. I think both are going to be very similar though when it comes to wet traction. I would probably go with whichever one you could find cheaper which is probably the Toyo's. My only concern would be if you plan on racing your car, then consider the sidewall stiffness a little more and maybe go with the Good Years. Another thing to consider as some people above have shown is tire width. The T1-S tires were rather small width wise, even though it said 225 they were probably closer to 215.

Thanks everyone for all the information, I'm defiantly going to get one those 2 tires.

As far as the size, I should have mentioned I'm buying new 18" wheels. Are those tires wider than most? I was thinking I could fit 235-255/35/18 based on what I read in your "FAQ: Offsets, Sizes for..." thread.

well, it all depends on your rim first.. can't fit a 255/35/18 on a 18x7 very well and expect to handle well (too much sloppy sidewall). Now, on the other hand, you can definitely stretch a 225 wide over a 18x10 wide rim.. talk about no need for sidewall flex.

Keefe

The F1 245/35/18 is close to width of the stock 215/45/17? I measured the tread on my tires at about 7.75". Could you elaborate on what you mean by "close to stock"?

he meant by overall tire diameter for odometer/speedometer reading.

8.5" contact patch may seem wide, but I am going for the 10.5" wide tire soon (265/35/18 on a 8.5" rim).

Keefe

well, it all depends on your rim first.. can't fit a 255/35/18 on a 18x7 very well and expect to handle well (too much sloppy sidewall). Now, on the other hand, you can definitely stretch a 225 wide over a 18x10 wide rim.. talk about no need for sidewall flex.

I want to figure out what size tire I want then buy the right width and offset rim to match them. At what size tire do I need to make major modifications to fit the tire on my car? (with either the F1 or T1-R)

It's all in the FAQ.. typically a 245/35/18 is the limit before you have to do any real fender rolling.. but then again, this will limit your offset sizing and wheel choices as you are trying to max out the tire size.. so your rim size has to be on the dot. If you want to fit a 245/35/18, look for a 18x8 or 18x8.5.. and you'll need to pick the higher set of offsets (the 8" wide will need something from +48 to +51 while the 8.5" wide will need +46 to +50 offsets).

Good luck in finding those kinds of wheels that not only suite the specs, but also your style. If you dont care for style and you got money to blow, order custom offset rims, that will fit the need of everything you want.

Keefe

I've heard the Falken FK451 and the newer FK452's are generally good in the wet as well.

Keefe - what's your thoughts on those?

The Goodyear and Toyo's are quite a bit more money.. how would they compare to the Falkens (451/452)?

I'm holding off with the 452's 'cos I can't find more than 2 tires in my area..

It's all in the FAQ.. typically a 245/35/18 is the limit before you have to do any real fender rolling.. but then again, this will limit your offset sizing and wheel choices as you are trying to max out the tire size.. so your rim size has to be on the dot. If you want to fit a 245/35/18, look for a 18x8 or 18x8.5.. and you'll need to pick the higher set of offsets (the 8" wide will need something from +48 to +51 while the 8.5" wide will need +46 to +50 offsets).

Good luck in finding those kinds of wheels that not only suite the specs, but also your style. If you dont care for style and you got money to blow, order custom offset rims, that will fit the need of everything you want.

I've read though you FAQ allot, and I’m still unclear/confused on some points. In the FAQ it says "*will need to roll the fenders if tires are wider than 255" but you just said if it's wider than 245. Also in FAQ has different offsets then you just gave me. Specifically on the 8.5" rim: FAQ - (+45mm to +48mm) compared to (+46mm to +50mm). The main thing I'm trying to figure out is; at what point rolling the fenders won't cut it and you have to replace the suspension and/or flare the fenders with a body kit.

I’m probably going to go with 245/35/18 w/ 18x8.5 with +46 to +50 offset because 9+" rims are allot harder to find. If I find a 9" rim I like, I'll get 255's and roll the fenders.

Thank you again for all your help. The FAQ has been a great resource for me and really appreciate the time you put in to it.

Archived