LegacyGT.com

HID question

subylegacy

I was wondering if this HID kit will fit on the legacy. I heard from someone that you need d2s bulb with the projector headlight (like the one legacy has) is this true? [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7920766448&category=36476[/url]

Are HID D2S bulbs similar to Halogen H7? If a Hid bulb is modified to fit H7 housing, would that be legal, or work correctly? There are focus differences between a HID Arc, and a constant shape Filament. Just wondering if it would be wise to use an aftermarket setup. it might not give the improvement that an OEM HID setup would provide, and the fine print may prove to be a legal problem, not that anyone would be likely to face enforcement. I like HID, and I want to have it on my next car, but I want it to be right, legal, and have the full benefit that HID is capable of.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']Are HID D2S bulbs similar to Halogen H7? If a Hid bulb is modified to fit H7 housing, would that be legal, or work correctly? There are focus differences between a HID Arc, and a constant shape Filament. Just wondering if it would be wise to use an aftermarket setup. it might not give the improvement that an OEM HID setup would provide, and the fine print may prove to be a legal problem, not that anyone would be likely to face enforcement. I like HID, and I want to have it on my next car, but I want it to be right, legal, and have the full benefit that HID is capable of.[/quote] You need a D2S blub. D2R bulbs are for cars with reflectors.

[quote name='Drift Monkey']You need a D2S blub. D2R bulbs are for cars with reflectors.[/quote] I gathered that, and D2Rs for the high-beams if so desired. My question is, the configuration of the D2S, the location of the arc points on all three axes relative to the bulb base and reflector (even projectors have reflectors in them, they are just smaller, and designed to work with an ellipsoid convex lens) similar or the same as an H7 halogen bulb. Even more than that, we don't know that the reflector behind the lens, or the lens itself are designed to use the edges of the H7 filament, vs. a D2S arc. The differences in shape and placement could throw off the beam pattern. This may have been posted before, but read this: It may or may not be completely accurate, but it is compelling. I am inclined to believe an lighting engineer. [URL]http://dsl.torque.net/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html[/URL] Anyway, I'd like it better if Subaru offered official, properly designed HID housings, lenses and reflectors to go with OEM HID bulbs.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan'][quote name='Drift Monkey']You need a D2S blub. D2R bulbs are for cars with reflectors.[/quote] I gathered that, and D2Rs for the high-beams if so desired. My question is, the configuration of the D2S, the location of the arc points on all three axes relative to the bulb base and reflector (even projectors have reflectors in them, they are just smaller, and designed to work with an ellipsoid convex lens) similar or the same as an H7 halogen bulb. Even more than that, we don't know that the reflector behind the lens, or the lens itself are designed to use the edges of the H7 filament, vs. a D2S arc. The differences in shape and placement could throw off the beam pattern. This may have been posted before, but read this: It may or may not be completely accurate, but it is compelling. I am inclined to believe an lighting engineer. [URL]http://dsl.torque.net/tech/bulbs/Hid/HID.html[/URL] Anyway, I'd like it better if Subaru offered official, properly designed HID housings, lenses and reflectors to go with OEM HID bulbs.[/quote] Well, while we don't know for sure, I'm not sure why Subaru would design a completely differnt bulb housing/projector just for the NA market. It would make sense for them to produce a large number of the same type of housing with the same types of projectors for all markets (price considered), and then just give the NA market H7 halogen bulbs vs. JDM hid setup. I know that there will be an argument following this that LHD and RHD have different projectors, but I still think they merely flipped the projector to conform to specific standards. Thus, I am inclined to believe that we do indeed have the same housing/projectors typesas the JDM lights. This being said, I believe the H7 HID bulb should create a similar, if not exact beam pattern as the H7 halogen counterpart. This may vary brand to brand (moreso the "off" brands), but if someone could get a hold of an actual OEM JDM HID kit, they'd have great results. That being said, I still try to source a cheaper solution as the JDM OEM HID units will likely be hard to source and if found pretty expensive. Perhaps someone could figure out the bulb/balast manufacturer of the JDM OEM HID equipment and notify us? I bet you didn't see that one coming fellas! OMG more than ONE line! :lol: Instresting chart I found: [url]http://faq.auto.light.tripod.com/car-tested-retro.htm[/url]

you have a point, but I have a question. The HIDs are available on JDM cars as an option. First of all, the JDM lights are RHD, meaning it cuts off to the right, to avoid blinding oncoming traffic on the right side of the car, The US, German, and other LHD markets are the opposite. The question is this: Is there a part number difference between the headlight housings on the JDM cars between halogen and HID fitment? Are HIDs offered in Germany, or any other LHD market, besides the US, and there again, are there part number differences in the Halogen to HID housings. THere are at least 4 or 5 different headlight housings for the different markets. full Chrome RHD pattern for JDM 2.5i, and possibly 3.0R. black RHD (like USDM) RHD for 2.0GT in JDM. Silver matte finish RHD for WR-Limited edition in JDM. Full Chrome LHD Pattern for 3.0R in Germany. Presumably there is a black GT LHD version with clear indicators in the German market. USDM has different, LHD pattern, black headlights, with amber reflectors in the indicators (the only ones that I have seen so far to have amber). All US models of the Legacy and Outback get these housings, possibly explaining why the USDM doesn't have the HID option that the JDM has. Who knows if the JDM housings have different reflectors to account for the HID option in the JDM, since the headlights are different, and the opposite pattern, anyway.

[quote name='IwannaSportSedan']you have a point, but I have a question. The HIDs are available on JDM cars as an option. First of all, the JDM lights are RHD, meaning it cuts off to the right, to avoid blinding oncoming traffic on the right side of the car, The US, German, and other LHD markets are the opposite. The question is this: Is there a part number difference between the headlight housings on the JDM cars between halogen and HID fitment? Are HIDs offered in Germany, or any other LHD market, besides the US, and there again, are there part number differences in the Halogen to HID housings. THere are at least 4 or 5 different headlight housings for the different markets. full Chrome RHD pattern for JDM 2.5i, and possibly 3.0R. black RHD (like USDM) RHD for 2.0GT in JDM. Silver matte finish RHD for WR-Limited edition in JDM. Full Chrome LHD Pattern for 3.0R in Germany. Presumably there is a black GT LHD version with clear indicators in the German market. USDM has different, LHD pattern, black headlights, with amber reflectors in the indicators (the only ones that I have seen so far to have amber). All US models of the Legacy and Outback get these housings, possibly explaining why the USDM doesn't have the HID option that the JDM has. Who knows if the JDM housings have different reflectors to account for the HID option in the JDM, since the headlights are different, and the opposite pattern, anyway.[/quote] To answer your question, yes, I think they're the same housings, as it would make financial sense to replicate the same housings utilizing different bulbs. There may be many types of housings as you listed, but all seem to me like they'd be the same housing with different paint (be it black, chrome or silver). The USDM ones could easily be fitted with amber reflectors, as this is a reletively easy item to install (or remove) from the housings. As I explained in my previous post, I think it is highly likely that the projector lenses could be just flipped for LHD use. Do the LHD European models recieve an HID option? If so, this proves my point further. I am still very optomisitic that HID has be used without any signifigant drawbacks...

• 1 month later...
Seems like there is only a HID option for JDM cars :( Can't think of any reason for not providing a HID option, except legislation that states that vehicles with HID shall have automatic beam elevation control (two gyros + control unit). That is however the case for us in Sweden. Maybe Subaru, or Subaru Global, is not willing to test out such equipment? I don't know if JDM cars have these elevation control units for the HID option or if the beam angle is controlled by the driver (as in the case of factory installed H7). So if anyone could figure out how to buy the JDM HID option, or find a corp. that does provide it... /M

[quote name='mathj095'] except legislation that states that vehicles with HID shall have automatic beam elevation control (two gyros + control unit). That is however the case for us in Sweden. [/QUOTE] US STI'd have HID. Crappy HID, but still HID. According to my friend it's automatic and manual leveling..

[quote name='mathj095']I don't know if JDM cars have these elevation control units for the HID option or if the beam angle is controlled by the driver (as in the case of factory installed H7).[/QUOTE] The JDM HID level control is manual, unlike the Lexus active-levelling system.

Archived