LegacyGT.com

COBB sway bar review

rodan

I installed the Cobb sway bars last night, and took them for an evaluation drive this morning.

First, I ordered the bars through GTWorx/Racecomp and they were drop shipped from Cobb. Cobb apparently ships everything "signature required". Since I was not aware of this, and no one was home, and the UPS robot failed to leave a note, some scrambling was necessary to get them by the weekend. Something to be aware of if you're ordering from Cobb or if your merchandise will be drop shipped...

Installation was straightforward, but somewhat time consuming for me. I have a custom catback (no flanges before the mufflers), and I had to drop the whole thing to install the rear bar. I installed the rear on the 'softer' of the two settings. Total installation time was around 4 hours, working by myself on jack stands. The front took about 45 minutes, the rest was the rear. The rear bar is very close to the control arms, but does not appear to be making contact. I will keep an eye on that. Otherwise the fit f/r was excellent. The rear bar is barely making contact with my exhuast, but remember, I have custom, and it was close to the stock bar. I was planning to redo the exhaust between the axle and mufflers with mandrel bent, anyway....

Disclaimer: I'm not racer(on 4 wheels, anyway) or autoxer, nor do I play one on TV.

Current state of the car:

18x7.5 Rota Tarmac II

Kumho Ecsta SPT 225/40-18

iON springs

Stock struts (39k miles)

AVO endlinks

Cobb f/r sway bars - rear on 'softer' setting

"stage II"

The test drive:

I drove about a 40 mile loop, which consisted of hwy, the bumpiest street in town, and about 20 miles of twisties. First, no banging, clunking, squeaking or other misbehavior. Over steep driveway bumps the bar does make contact with my exhaust, but as I said, mine is unique. The bars definitely flattened out the corners, noticibly decreasing body roll. Unfortunately, it only makes it more apparent that I need dampers. I hope Koni and/or Tokico hurry up. The car is nicely neutral, I noticed no real change in behavior from the stock bars w/ the iONs, that is to say very neutral, less understeer than stock. You can still lift throttle to induce oversteer and rotate the car, but it's very controllable, and only available when you're pushing it near the limit.

Verdict: two thumbs up! :D

CN: Installed the Cobb sways, took 4 hrs. Fit nice, no banging or clunking. Car is nicely neutral with much reduced body roll, and will still oversteer off throttle at limit. Recommended.

Sounds like its a good deal. If anyone else purchased the f/r sways please chime in. One question, why did you not set the rear on the stiffest setting?

Was it worth $380?

why did you not set the rear on the stiffest setting?

I thought I would start with the softer setting, drive the car for a while, then try the stiffer setting, drive it for a while, then make a decision on which I preferred. I'm very happy with the way the car behaves on the softer setting. It's very neutral, so I may leave it as is until struts are available, and I'm under the car again...

Was it worth $380?

For me, yes.

I purchased these yesterday at the WBM and put them in last night, LOVE THEM, the fit is perfect. I'm using Cobb rear end links and AVO fronts. The rest of my suspension is stock and I have only tried the softer setting thus far. I am very pleased, well worth the $380, the body roll is tremendously reduced with the stock springs and struts, but ions are on the way. I would definitely reccommend these bars!!!:)

Always put the rear on the softer setting first, see how the car responds, see how easy or hard it is to provoke oversteer, then go to the stiffer setting if desired and get used to how the car responds.

I should be getting my COBB sways next week!!!!!!!!111

Archived