LegacyGT.com

The little features

Let's get a list of all the little features that people don't notice before they buy the car. So far this is what I have found: (Note: I have a GT limited 5EAT) 1) Press the remote lock button on the key three times and the car beeps to help indicate its location. 2) Is it just me, or does the defogger sometimes turn on when the car is started (maybe some sensing -- don't know). 3) (more obvious, but I will list is anyway) windshield wiper heaters. 4) 5EAT owners -- you can shift using the stearing wheel shifters when you are in regular drive mode. 5) If you want to deactive the moving gauges on the GT models, there are instructions in the owners manual. 6) 5EAT owners -- the computer limits the maximum shift RPM until it believes everything is broken in. 7) (Also may be obvious) On the 5EAT trans, in sport mode, if you don't shift manually, the transmission will shift automatically but more agressivly than in regular drive mode.

Note sure these are that insightful -- most of these features were discussed on Edmunds.com Subaru forums before the cars were even available! Re: #2, when the outside temperature is lower than the "set" temperature, the system defaults to defrost and the blower turns off until the engine coolant is warm enough to heat the interior. That way the system is not blowing cool air. My 02 LL Bean did the same thing. Craig

They may be posted or discussed elsewhere, but still new to a lot of people, I'm sure. Thanks for the helpful info, makes me look forward to getting the car all the more!! (Now I really want to know what happens if you leave the keys in the ignition AND push the lock button on the FOB) :D

There is no keyhole in the trunk (sedan). You can lock the trunk with the key (on the interior release), but this does not lock the pass through. You can not set the heater temperature separately from the air conditioning. You can not turn the heat off and set the air condititioning temperature high. (I'd really like a programmable dead zone between the heat comming on and the AC comming on, say turn the heat on below 70, and the AC on above 75). All the lettering on the trunk is easily removed :)

The dual cup holders in the backseat with collapsable arms to fit all sizes of b33r bottles. The trunk opener on the inside of the trunk hatch for when the duct taped hooker needs some air. The small storage flap above the stereo with the ugly orange light inside of it.

[quote name='skibud2']Let's get a list of all the little features that people don't notice before they buy the car. So far this is what I have found: (Note: I have a GT limited 5EAT) 1) Press the remote lock button on the key three times and the car beeps to help indicate its location. 2) Is it just me, or does the defogger sometimes turn on when the car is started (maybe some sensing -- don't know). 3) (more obvious, but I will list is anyway) windshield wiper heaters. 4) 5EAT owners -- you can shift using the stearing wheel shifters when you are in regular drive mode. 5) If you want to deactive the moving gauges on the GT models, there are instructions in the owners manual. 6) 5EAT owners -- the computer limits the maximum shift RPM until it believes everything is broken in. 7) (Also may be obvious) On the 5EAT trans, in sport mode, if you don't shift manually, the transmission will shift automatically but more agressivly than in regular drive mode.[/quote] Where did you hear about #6? Do you mean "warmed up" vs. "broken in"? Ken

[i] Where did you hear about #6? Do you mean "warmed up" vs. "broken in"? Ken [/i] -- Hey Ken, This might be getting confused with the feature where the AT delays upshifts in order to warm up the transmission. For instance, if you start off on a cold morning it will hold 2nd and/or 3rd gear, delaying upshift, until the tranny warms up. I don't think the car senses break-in. On one of my test drives, a bonehead car salesman had no problem redlining a GT wagon with only 12 miles on the clock..... Craig

Hey I might be imagining this, but I noticed that I got much better gas milage with 91 octane over 93 octane. With the 93, I was getting around 18.5 mpg. I put the 91 in, and I started getting 23. I recently put 91 back in and the mpg average dropped again. Does this make sense? Also, how long of an average does the computer use to make its calculations?

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='NewGTGuy']Here is one: When the gas light comes on, the red outline on the gas gauge blinks and the temp display changes to "distance to empty" for a couple of seconds.[/quote] That's neat- I'll hafta run my tank a little closer to empty next time. Does anyone know if the tank in the Legacy has baffles so you don't suck up crud from the bottom of the tank, like in the WRX?

[quote name='jedimaster']That's neat- I'll hafta run my tank a little closer to empty next time. Does anyone know if the tank in the Legacy has baffles so you don't suck up crud from the bottom of the tank, like in the WRX?[/quote] Is that the case that the WRX sucks up crud, or the WRX has baffles? Just curious, because if the WRX has baffles, the Legacy probably does too, if the wrx doesn't, the legacy is anybody's guess. Operating on the principle that the legacy is more expensive, and therefore should have the features that are common to less expensive cars from the same company. Plus the off-road capabilities of the outback should dictate that the tank is baffled. Hate to have the pump suck dry on an off-road incline, if the tank happens to be a little low.

What about the cool seat belt indictators near the map lights above? Green ones come on if used in the rear, red one for the front passenger if not used. Some passengers make the comment they feel they are in a plane when they see these.

• 2 months later...

Archived