LegacyGT.com

Does anyone have experience with ICW Wheels? New Omega model

IwannaSportSedan

I came across this wheel, the Omega, from ICW...

It looks like a mesh BBS type wheel, but it has an odd number of spoke pairs (good thing)... and comes in several fitments for Subarus. (even better)

The down side is potentially quality... the tires are listed by a vendor or two (I think it is new, most ICW Racing Wheels vendors don't list it, but ICW's website does.) for about 105-125$ per wheel. I know that isn't absolutely cheap, but I wonder if this is a bargain, or too good to be true.

http://www.icwracing.com/data/12.gif

http://www.icwracing.com/data/wheel12.gif

The thing is... this looks better than the OE wheels rumored to be coming on the 07 Legacy GT, which, if true, I really don't like.

I may try to see if the dealer will buy-back the OE wheels and tires, and then buy a set of these with better-than-RE92 tires, or else sell the OE wheels and tires on this forum/ebay and get the above pictured.

The wife is cringing about me buying hundreds of dollars worth of new wheels at the same time as buying a new car. These might pass muster with her due to being so inexpensive, but I on the other hand don't want to find out too late that they are pathetic quality, even for the low price.

On the other hand, if I had the cash, I would buy prodrives or BBS, and marvel at the quality, and I am not expecting that with something in this price range...

I am just wondering if anyone has seen wheels from this manufacturer up-close and can comment on whether it is poor quality, worth the money, or a smokin' deal.

Comments on the design are welcome, too. (I personally think the picture is of a smallish fitment, like 16". I would be going toward 17x7 or 18x7.5 fitments)

look like BBS RX. ICW has been around awhile....I used to see them back in college, as we had a distributor in town. Cheap, heavy and made in the far east.

I was thinking S203-style red on black STI center caps, or OE silver Subaru oval-logo center caps. (they aren't BBS, but they would be going on a Subaru, if things go that direction.)

I was also thinking of having some vinyl appliques made on dark blue or black with silver or chrome star-oval logos... But I have no idea if the center cap attachment is anything like the BBS centers (that the STI caps are made for) or subaru OE wheels, for OE centers...

But some of that is jumping the gun...

Made in the far east... yah... what isn't? besides prodrive and BBS, et al. (europe, and $$$)

Heavy... yah... not as light as forged or really good cast wheels... but not bad compared to OEM... I believe it has been reported elsewhere in the forum, that the OE 17x7 wheels are about 21.5 lbs, or thereabouts. By the stats above, these are listed as ~2lbs lighter for the same size, and about the same weight for 18x7.5. Not bad. They wouldn't be autocrossing wheels, just general street use, fitting same or wider tires on better looking wheels than stock...

I am not expecting AMAZING things from a wheel at that pricepoint... I am just curious if the company has a track record for weak castings, or poor paint finish, or other glaring problems.

I have ASA (JS-5, IIRC) wheels for the Miata... and they aren't THAT marvelous, but not bad... and are basically the same price point. They have delicate, and slightly inconsistent paint (for wheels) and probably aren't the lightest wheels of their size, but they work, and don't seem to have any functional problems at all. One of them cracked in the rim portion, on some albeit major road debris, and had to be replaced. Very understandable. If these are similar that is fine.

I would hate to find out too late (as in after paying for them) that they are flawed in a significant way, is all. Especially after hearing that some OE wheels on the Legacy have broken off at the spokes... The mesh design is inherently stronger (why BBS uses it, along with forging), without taking casting quality and technique into context. But no one can tell that by just looking.

The options as I see them are to get a set of 17x7s, and mount some better all-seasons or snows, and get a nicer set of 18"s rims later, when I can more afford it, and then start using these as winter wheels... OR, getting a set of 18x7.5 with all-seasons to start with, and either selling or using the OE rims as winter wheels, then re-selling/scrapping the Omega wheels later on (as in years later) if I find something else, or can save to afford better.

But I am not thinking that truly nice, expensive wheels are going to be in the cards right after paying a down payment on a new Legacy.

Do you people think this wheel style particularly will look good on the 05-07 Legacy GT? I think the BBS RG-Rs and other "sport mesh" wheels look HAWT on the Legacy, and I can't imagine that these would be a drastic difference. But I do like to read other people's opinions.

Do you people think this wheel style particularly will look good on the 05-07 Legacy GT? I think the BBS RG-Rs and other "sport mesh" wheels look HAWT on the Legacy, and I can't imagine that these would be a drastic difference. But I do like to read other people's opinions.

since you asked for opinions, that transition from the inner hub to the parallel spokes leading outward looks awkward as though it was two designs that got "meshed" together. Visually this wheel doesn't flow for me.

At first that kinda got me, too. And I do think that actual BBS wheels look better in that respect. I still want RG-Rs real bad, but man, these are 105-120 per wheel and the BBS ones are over 600 per. I could buy four sets of these for one set of authentic BBS. Hard to overlook.

The inner disc of the wheel face (where the lugs/center cap are) seems like it is wrapped between the spoke pairs, where the spoke pairs themselves have a different radiused transition. I figure it is just something to set these slightly appart from real BBS wheels, or the myriad of other mesh designs.

I really do like the odd number of pairs. and 7 pairs is a nice number. 9 pairs would be too busy, I think. It gives it a bit more aggressive look. I think Audi's new RS4 wheels have 7 split pairs but closer together, and deeply dished.

It seemed odd at first, but the more I look at it the less it bothers me. I like it better than some other mesh designs, though.

and Thanks Heightsgtltd. I am waiting for an 07. I want to see what the new colors are. (gawd I wish someone would leak that info already...) and [EDIT]since the 07 USDM GT wheels DO look like this, I am definitely replacing them with the ones above, or Rota Torques, or something. Anything.

http://tinypic.com/zk6cd4

Archived