LegacyGT.com

Pulled over lately?

scans007

In Norwich? Some of those officers need an attitude adjustment.

Yeah Norwich Cop, I know most of the guys and they're great.

I've tinted all of their K-9 cars and undercover vehicles, guess this guy was having a bad day.

In Massachusetts, if you have the older style green letters on a white background license plate, you are not required to have a front plate for a non-commercial vehicle. I don't think they can stop you if your only violation is the lack of the front plate... although I guess if they do stop you, and cant find anything to pin on you, then sure thay might make a deal about it.

about a week ago i got pulled over while driving home from work at 3am (yay working for an internet company) any who... i see the lights just as i am getting to the 190/2 merge in Fitchburg... i pull over and open both windows just in case the cop did not want to be on the traffic side. he walk up to the drivers side and when i see him here is the convo:

me: good evening sir

trooper: so whats up with that exhaust

me: what?

trooper: i heard you zoom by me. is that the stock exhaust?

me: no

trooper: who put it on?

me: me

trooper: <glaring> you know after market exhaust is illegal in MA?

traffic: pickup with nearly straight pipes zooms by us and he does not even notice....

me: well... stock exhaust rusted out and I'm not about to pay the OEM premium to just have to do it again.

trooper: have you ever been arrested?

me: no

.... it degrades from here with him trying to find some reason to give me a ticket.

i was doing 5 miles under the speed limit due to the freezing rain.

granted i have the perrin CBE with a cobb DP but still... at 50 this is not that loud compared to some of the vacuum cleaners (read: Honda with huge mufflers) that i pass on a daily basis and not any where near the noise level of a V8 truck with after market exhaust. but what ever... this is the second time i have been pulled over for it and i guess it's time to get the SPT... if for no other reason then that he gave me a written warning and i'm sure the next one will be a fix/repair ticket.

i guess what just really ticks me off is there where people driving like complete idiots in freezing rain conditions and I'm the one he decided to pick out...

and yes i lied about the stock exhaust... but w/e it would have been a valid reason... well in my head :)

and I've got to ask... i have not changed my driving habits and went 15 years without even being pulled over by a cop let alone getting a ticket for anything but a parking ticket the day after i got my licenses. but since i have moved to MA 4 years ago i have gotten 3 speeding tickets... all for 10 or less over. I almost never hit triple digits unless passing a complete idiot, most of the time it is 5-10 over at most... in every other state I've lived i wouldn't get a second look (hell.. in CA i would always get passed by cops when i was doing 90-100)... but here i seem to have a sign on my head saying i need to get pulled over. funniest thing is that 2 of the speeding tickets where in my last car which was a murano... not what you would look at and say "theres a kid that is driving like a nut" teenage years through my twenties i figured is when i would be getting tickets.. not in my 30's

That sux man.....my truck is 30 times louder then my Perrin CBE with UP/DP.......

I remember reading an article stating that it's not really illegal yet....some iditos just wanna make it illegal....I'd def do some reserach on the matter and just leave it in the glove box for next time........

Also I believe they cannot pull you over if you haven't commited a moving violation.....ect, if you don't have a front plate, they can't pull you over for it but they can ticket you for it once you've been pulled over for speeding...same with the seat belt.....my info could be outdated so correct me if I'm wrong........I'll ask my statie neighbor next time I see him.

EDIT: I checked with a few sources.......After Market exahausts are not illegal yet..... .. it's exhaust noise, which is insane....how do they measure that...it's subjective to the party do'n the pulling over........anything subjective would never hold up in court.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/house/ht02pdf/ht02253.pdf

No vehicle may be operated on any public way or where the public has access as an invitee or licensee that produces an exhaust noise in excess of 82dBA measured at 12 inches from the end of exhaust pipe.
I like it. Sounds perfect to me. All those stock Harley Davidson Motorcycles (including the ones the staties use) would need to be retrofitted so they could legally be driven on Massachusetts roads. Perfect.

Seriously at least this proposed standard uses an objective measure. While 82 dB may be a tad extreme, it is an objective measure.

So i was leaving work and my friend and i took off down the side street between the hospital (where i work) and the parking lot. I didnt leave first as i was following my friend, we had a stop coming up within a few hundred feet and he was calling and i was trying to dig up my celly from my pocket. WE got to the sign and he waved me by to lead the way to the bowling alley we were going to and apparently a cop witness all of this supposed craziness. When he finally caught up with me he was super pissed. He kept asking me how fast i was going, and i said i had no clue and then went on about me wrecklessly passing that poor guy at the stop sign, not letting me tell him it was my friend and he waved me past. Apparently this guy was standing in the parking lot and viewed the whole thing, so he has no real idea. He heard a car that sounded like it was going fast and may have appeared that way with the noise as it was 11:30 at night and i was driving away from him. I could see both ways at the stop sign before i went around my friend and there were no cars in sight which was way over 500 ft. this guy gets me for wreckelss driving, a high speed and passing someone at an interestion when visibility is less than 500 ft in either direction. This one is gonna suck i am sure. Court is feb 13th i believe.

I like it. Sounds perfect to me. All those stock Harley Davidson Motorcycles (including the ones the staties use) would need to be retrofitted so they could legally be driven on Massachusetts roads. Perfect.[/size][/font]

Seriously at least this proposed standard uses an objective measure. While 82 dB may be a tad extreme, it is an objective measure.

82? that is a bit extreme... but i was sure it was not illegal yet and i even asked the trooper when that law had gone into effect.. he said it has always been illegal in Ma and when i asked about what the max dB he just looked at me like i had 6 heads. oh well... the spt should be here soon and if i get pulled over for that I'm going say with a straight face "yes officer, it is a factory part" :)

now... i was doing absolutely nothing... so what would his cause be for pulling me over? i have tint.. but it is legal as another trooper with a meter found out, i have my front lic on.. and i was not speeding by any means. seatbelt on... well there was the dead hooker strapped to my hood... you think that did it. ;)

The current exhaust regulations are rather subjective:

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/90-16.htm

No person shall operate a motor vehicle on any way [in] which motor vehicle is equipped with an exhaust system which has been modified in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the exhaust.

I have heard of kids driving brand new STOCK Subaru STis getting pulled over because of the low rumble and the chrome tail pipe and cops just assume that they are running an aftermarket exhaust and refuse to believe that it is a stock step up, and they issue a "fix it" ticket.

My 8 year old Legacy GT has an aftermarket Brullen stainless steel exhaust that is very quiet, just slightly more raspy than a stock set up. Technically, under the current laws, I could be stopped and ticketed, as my setup is clearly not stock (although decibel wise I don't think it is actually any louder than stock). All a cop has to do is *THINK* that you are running an aftermarket exhaust that is too loud, and he can ticket you. Having an objective measure is much better IMHO.

Basically if a cop thinks your car is too loud he will pull you over.

we just need to start explaining to every cop that pulls us over that our cars are build in Indiana... as for the second part... we can try to explain to cops that that does not matter.. and i know for a fact that not all profile like that.. but for the rest.... regrettably, there is no cure for stupid.

Basically if a cop thinks your car is too loud he will pull you over.

...or if your car is not a domestic, or you are not white, he will pull you over.

We just need to start explaining to every cop that pulls us over that our cars are build in Indiana... as for the second part... we can try to explain to cops that colour does not matter.. and I know for a fact that not all profile like that.. but for the rest.... regrettably, there is no cure for stupid.
This is exactly why I don't think police should be relied upon to provide the subjective judgement to decide what is legal and what isn't. Having an objective measure (such as a maximum allowable decimal limit) is the correct why to go.

So far there are no laws against driving while not being white, or against driving an "import" car. Letting them make up the rules as they go along is a bad thing.

• 2 weeks later...
and I've got to ask... i have not changed my driving habits and went 15 years without even being pulled over by a cop let alone getting a ticket for anything but a parking ticket the day after i got my licenses. but since i have moved to MA 4 years ago i have gotten 3 speeding tickets... all for 10 or less over. I almost never hit triple digits unless passing a complete idiot, most of the time it is 5-10 over at most... in every other state I've lived i wouldn't get a second look (hell.. in CA i would always get passed by cops when i was doing 90-100)... but here i seem to have a sign on my head saying i need to get pulled over. funniest thing is that 2 of the speeding tickets where in my last car which was a murano... not what you would look at and say "theres a kid that is driving like a nut" teenage years through my twenties i figured is when i would be getting tickets.. not in my 30's
When I lived in NY I was stopped at least once every 6 months for speeding in my Acura Integra. I moved to MA about 2 years ago, bought my 05 LGT, and haven't been stopped since. I'm not sure if the cops in MA are more lenient, or if the silver sedan is just invisible compared to the red coupe, but I certainly drive way faster in the LGT than I ever did in the Integra.

I was leaving work and my friend and I took off down the side street between the hospital (where I work) and the parking lot. I didnt leave first as i was following my friend, we had a stop coming up within a few hundred feet and he was calling me, and i was trying to dig up my celly from my pocket. WE got to the sign and he waved me by to lead the way to the bowling alley we were going to and apparently a cop witness all of this supposed craziness. When he finally caught up with me he was super pissed. He kept asking me how fast i was going, and i said i had no clue and then went on about me wrecklessly passing that poor guy at the stop sign, not letting me tell him it was my friend and he waved me past. Apparently this guy was standing in the parking lot and viewed the whole thing, so he has no real idea. He heard a car that sounded like it was going fast and may have appeared that way with the noise as it was 11:30 at night and i was driving away from him. I could see both ways at the stop sign before i went around my friend and there were no cars in sight which was way over 500 ft. This cop cited me for wreckelss driving, a high speed and passing someone at an interestion when visibility is less than 500 ft in either direction. This one is gonna suck i am sure. My court date is feb 13th I believe.
Any word ?

Lived in NYC all my life, 1 speeding ticket and I was a crazy driver as a kid. In MA for a year, no tickets untill a month ago. Pulled over three times, two tickets for speeding and one for a u-turn. WTF!!! Today pulled over again but luckily no ticket. I didnt even have my license on me. Still pissed about the other 3 tickets though.
Who needs tickets to the gun show?:eek:

what? why DRLs? were you driving at nite and u didnt have your lights on? thats why i disabled... and i have HIDs:icon_bigg

driving with my DRLs at nite. I need to disable mine... I'm afraid I'm going to break my car though because I've never done any work on a car before... =( Seems easy enough though...right?

Archived