LegacyGT.com

Cobb AP and Auto or Manual for 2.5GT Ltd? and Cobb AP

I'm debating between an auto vs manual for 2.5 GT Ltd.

I think the manual is better suited for the engine, but I drive in a lot of stop and go traffic (Northern NJ/NYC) and the clutch in the 2.5 GT seems to be not the easiest to drive smoothly. Add in the fact that my wife won't drive a manual, and I'm leaning towards getting the auto.

However, I noticed with the auto that there seems to be a more tubo lag. I plan on getting the Cobb AccessPort thinking that the additional power will give me more of that STI feel that I miss. For those out there that own a 2.5GT or GT Ltd with an auto and have the AccessPort, how does the AccessPort affect turbo lag?

I spoke with someone in the technical department at Cobb, but they weren't all that helpful. All he could say was that AP tries to reduce turbo lag because the boost comes on earlier.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

hopefully some of the auto guys will chime in - but i doubt you'll ever get that STi type response out of the auto with only a AP stage 1 map -- you might want to check out the pro-tune stage 1 maps TDC is selling, they've managed to tweak the throttle input for a better response 'feel'.

Check out the thread 0-60 times

A stage II protuned 5EAT with a few extra toy's is actually a little quicker in a strait line than a STI.

Powerbrake the car & hold on;)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

My 2 cents. If you have been driving manual all your life, you'll miss it. As far as performance, there's a difference....with 5MT, you are in controlhttp://legacygt.com/forums/images/icons/icon12.gif.

I had an 05 5EAT with TDC's Stage 2 E-tune and it was awesome.

Tough choice.......total control or convenience. Good luck.

"Remember..."MODDING is a HOBBY:icon_bigg, not a BAAAD HABIT";) .

Guest JessterCPA

This was my first auto car after 16 years or so of driving stick. I am very satisfied, and have no mods done. If you plan to mod, I think you may be quite happy.

Jesse

Yes it is a tough choice. You will miss the manual for sure, I know I would. Then again, your wife can safely drive the auto in emergencies. Or just to drive it. My wife is not allowed to drive my car under normal circumstances.

Go Stage II and you will slowly forget about the STi. It is so close in power you will be satisfied.... handling is another thing though...

I think stage II can easily put you at 300chp and even more TQ.

I have a stage 2 auto.(cobb AP, dp,up)It's a lot of fun for me. The turbo lag has gotten much better with these mods.

what times have you run at the track?

and also, i assume that's your vehicle with exhaust in your av? if so, what exhaust is it and how do you like it?

Go with the auto and "make the wife happy". You'll be happier as well, get the underlaying message...There's a bigger issue here.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have had a 03 Legacy wagon with a manual and now have a 06 LGT wagon 5EAT (no choice). The auto is much nicer in traffic. The manual would no doubt be more fun in open curvy road situations, and I am pretty sure the manual will at least feel faster and probably is faster because it put a little nore power to the wheels.

All that said, it takes a little while to learn to use the sport shift properly but when you do it is fun.

Now if Cobb or anyone would make a chip, hack or whatever to speed up the shifts. And as this is an expensive car with a very expensive transmission I can see why they do not want to fool with it too much.

05 5eat wagon with the ap stage II tune (93 oct) uppipe, and down pipe...power brake itfrom a start and hold on...ive had my kids stroller hit the inside of my rear hatch pretty hard a few times!! i personally like the 5eat, due to decent ratios it has for a auto...just wish it shifted a little firmer into 2nd though....is anyone listening???????

I just wanted to thank everyone for your opinions. It's always helpful to learn about the experiences of others and all of your opinions have helped me decide. I'm going for the auto.

A tip that may help you folks out there negotiate with your significant other. When my wife first discussed this issue, she was adamant on me getting an auto (to the point that she was going to leave me and take our 5 month old son with her) and I was adamant on getting a stick (my point was we already have practical car - a Lexus RX330). After going back and forth for a day or two, I said "You're absolutely right. I'm being selfish in wanting to get a stick. If you think it's better for us as a family to get the auto, then I'll get the auto." At that moment the tables turned and she told me to get stick. The funny thing is after all the haggling, when given the choice, I end up deciding to get an auto.

Anyway, if the test drive is indicative of what I think the car will drive like, I think I'll enjoy it (of course, I'll probably enjoy it more after I get the Cobb AP). Add in the suspension the mods and I'll forget all about my STI (ok, maybe not, but the loss will be less painful).

the clutch in the 2.5 GT seems to be not the easiest to drive smoothly.

Mine seems pretty smooth, but so it's my left foot. :icon_bigg I've been driving manual for 12 years, so it helps too and it doesn't bother me in Houston's traffic.

Archived