LegacyGT.com

UOA on Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40...

Hey guys,

I just recently had my oil sampled, to see how this PP 5w40 euro oil did. Actually it was a mix of 2 qts 5w40 and 2.7qts 10w30. In the almost 5k miles, I only added 0.5 qts of makeup oil.

This OCI also saw 24+ dyno pulls on XXTuning's dyno, to dial-in my sr40 alky injection setup. The car also saw "heavy"acceleration many times, due to the newfound power:icon_bigg ! So I was not easy on this oil. It came out OK, but I will not be using it again. I have come to find that this is just relabeled Shell Helix Ultra, a grp III based hydrocracked synthetic oil.(Read: Not a true PAO,EOP,Ester synthetic base stock.) ALL of the other Platinum's are however. And I had good UOA's from them, but for the hot summer I believe I need a heavier oil, hence I'm back to using GC 0w30.

Here's my actual UOA from Blackstone Labs.

PP5w40MixWeb.pdf

Wow, almost 50,000 miles on your LGT. You must live on the road. At this rate you will be ready for a rebuild in 2 years. I am assuming the rebuilt motor will be 650HP!

I had a UOA done on PP 5W30 in my bone stock LGT, around 1500 miles on the oil (over 6 months) and around 9000 miles on the car. All results were lower than average, except for lead, which was elevated at 12ppm, for some unknown reason.

Hahahahaha....I have a 85-90 miles daily commute! Mostly highway, so it is pretty easy on the car.

I expect nothing less than 400k+ miles, other than the occassional timing belt, water pump change. Power doesn't kill the engine, if it was raced constantly then you could expect to shorten the life down to like 100k or so.

Even though the UOA wasn't stellar, it's still a miniscule amount of wear. At this pace, the engine will long outlive the chassis...

Edmundu, where did you get the 'Euro formula' 5/40 PP? I haven't seen that viscosity (or a PP "euro formula") around my area at all.

Just lucked out at a local auto parts store. Not a chain or anything. They had it on the shelf, along with the USA versions. They didn't have the euro 5w30, which is supposed to be very good oil. I asked to order it, but they said there distributor was discontinuing it? So I picked up the 5w40, but trust me for the $6 p/qt. it isn't all that good. There are better oils out there for that price.

Archived