LegacyGT.com

Questions for TDC, or any tuner.

mthurmond

Have you ever tuned a car that is using a J&S Safeguard? If so, what are your thoughts.

On an STI swap, (STI UPPipe, Turbo, TMIC, Intake) is there any safety risk to running the factory downpipe? If not, do you have a canned map for that setup?

IMHO, there would be no benefit to the Safegaurd over the stock knock detection and control system.

they would not sell any units if this were true. Every car has knock detection, its how the car reacts that is key.... which is where the Safegaurd comes in. BUT... with proper tuning you should be safe (assuming you don't mess with anything after the tune).

the factory ecu is smarter than the safegaurd

and does the same thing

is that true for all cars? Maybe I am underestimating the subaru ECU. My mazda ECU sucked... maybe why so many engines blew at 8psi....

Well that is good to hear, thanks TDC!

Maybe I am underestimating the subaru ECU. My mazda ECU sucked... maybe why so many engines blew at 8psi....

J&S boxes were pretty popular with the turbo miata crowd for a long time, before stand alone ECUs were available. J&S is a good product, but it was intended for adding forced induction to a car with a normally aspirated ECU. A real ECU that understands a forced induction application is a much better solution.

Archived