LegacyGT.com

HFC or no Cat?

CobaltForge

Hey guys,

Question for you, here in So Cal how easy would it be for cops to spot a car with No Cats? I was going to go with the HFC DP route, but was possibly considering the no cat route due to cost. I understand the effect of no Cats on the environment, but I just want an honest opinion from you guys as to whether it's smart to do this or not in So Cal.

From what I've seen from the Evo guys, they seem to get pulled over all the time and sometimes this is one item that the cops check for. I know that I'm in an LGT, but I'd be concerned even with a HFC.

Thanks for your feedback.

not many of you know that gulf of maxico was much marmer than normal when hurrican ketrina hit coast, usually hurrican die out at coast line, but the warmer ocean gave hurrican a boost like a super charger, that's why it hit hard last year. i guess nobody give a damn about greenhouse effect today, in a theory if temperture keep rising we'll see more and more deadly hurricans tomorow.

Sounds like you already answered your own question. If you're concerned... even with a HFC... leave it stock.
Not super concerned. I will go with at least a HFC, but wanted to see if anyone in SoCal was running a race pipe or DP w/no cat and if they've been hassled about it.

And thanks for the replies guys, but I find it kinda funny that it's the out-of-state guys that are first replying to this :lol:.

I'm running catless, but plan on adding in a HFC I already have when I finish my exhaust setup. I've been pulled over twice and the officer never checked any of my car's mechanicals (thank God... knock on wood!) even though it is blatantly obvious that my car is far from stock. Really, anybody with a functioning nose will know if your car it catless. Just so you know, it is a federal offense to remove a functioning catalytic converter. Also, to really be legal you need each and ever single cat the car came with, ie: uppipe, downpipe and midpipe cats all need to be present. Having said that, few cops would know to look for them all. As long as you have one in the middle of the car you should be in the clear, but as is often the case, it will depend on the cop.

Guest *Jedimaster*
not many of you know that gulf of maxico was much marmer than normal when hurrican ketrina hit coast, usually hurrican die out at coast line, but the warmer ocean gave hurrican a boost like a super charger, that's why it hit hard last year. i guess nobody give a damn about greenhouse effect today, in a theory if temperture keep rising we'll see more and more deadly hurricans tomorow.

Hippie?

And thanks for the replies guys, but I find it kinda funny that it's the out-of-state guys that are first replying to this :lol:.

I don't discriminate.... I watch all the threads via the "New Posts" button! ;)

Spellchecker. Use it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_dimming

While I here ya, please make trackor trailors and SUV have to abide by similiar emissions standards. Trackor trailors spit out a least 20x more crap than cars.

Cobalt, the chance of an officer checking for your Cats is rrreeeaaallllyyy slim. If you come across a CHP officer who's having a really bad day and is bored, the weather is perfectly clear, there are only 2 other cars on the road, you've been driving like a maniac, AND you're being a complete a**, then you might get inspected.

Now, that being said, I'd have to agree with everyone else. If you're worried enough to seriously deliberate, then you should go with the HFC. But what do I know. I'm stock.:icon_lol:

Not really. I was talking with a client/friend who is an LAPD detective and we got to talking about modded cars. Basically she said that well trained officers will look for two visible violations to give them probable cause to pull you over. Alot of times those two probable causes will be the lack of a front plate and tinted windows. At that point they can inspect your car from top to bottom and write you up for a litany of violations. If the officer decides that there are enough violations he/she can mandate that you go in for an inspection with a state referee, which will run you about $2000. Really, what they are looking for is not violations in your car, but other violations, such as drugs, weapons, alcohol and warrants.

If you are generally behaving well and don't look like someone who is out to cause trouble you'll probably be in the clear, but I certainly wouldn't say that the chances of you being checked out on the road as being "slim"

That and since our cars look so much like Camrys, it seems to help the "sleeper" factor. That's why I chose not to with with the Evo. After spending some time on the SoCalEvo board and reading their posts about cops, having to go to the referee, etc. I decided against getting that car as I know my driving style can get me in trouble sometimes (never street race though, that's just dangerous).

I think I'm going to keep the stock cat in the Mid Pipe ATM and then maybe switch it out for a HFC later on.

Thanks for the feedback, and you guys are right, as long as you're cool with them, cops are cool back to you. Of the times I've been pulled over, cops have actually thanked me and wished me a good day (non-sarcastically), of course they still wrote me the ticket though! :icon_mad::icon_tong

Archived