LegacyGT.com

Subaru 2.5-liter Turbo Boxer Engine Wins 2006 International Engine Of The Year Award

gt_ltd

May 11th, 2006

SUBARU 2.5-LITER TURBO BOXER ENGINE WINS

2006 INTERNATIONAL ENGINE OF THE YEAR AWARD

--- The top engine in the 2- to 2.5-liter class this year ---

http://www.motorimage.net/SG/news/images/20060511_boxerengine.jpg Tokyo, May 11th 2006 - Fuji Heavy Industries Ltd. (FHI), a global manufacturer of transportation and aerospace-related products and the maker of Subaru automobiles, today announced that its 2.5-liter, Horizontally Opposed boxer engine with a turbo charger was voted this year’s winner in the 2- to 2.5-liter engine class of the International Engine of the Year Awards. The award ceremony took place today at the Engine Expo in Stuttgart, Germany. The award granted to the Subaru engine, with which Subaru Impreza and Forester models are equipped, marks the first time a Horizontally Opposed engine has been chosen in the prestigious annual awards.

A panel of 61 renowned journalists from 29 countries served as judges in the competition organized by UKIP Media & Events - Automotive Magazines’ Division, Britain’s largest group of auto-technology magazines, which includes Engine Technology International and Automotive Testing Technology International. The judges applied their technical knowledge and impressions, scoring for the vehicle’s performance, drivability, ease of handling, fuel economy, and refinement. Based on the points given by the judges, the grand prize, prizes for best engines in eight capacity classes and three other categories were awarded.

The now internationally acclaimed Subaru 2.5-liter turbo engine features powerful torque output as well as environmental considerations. By employing a secondary air injection system, improving on the engine control system and modifying combustion chamber designs, FHI has made significant improvements in lowering vehicle emission levels. The engine achieves optimal balance between nimble response in low-speed driving ranges and enhanced power output, thanks to design changes of the water jacket in the cylinder head and layout modifications in the exhaust manifolds to minimize pump loss while ensuring smooth gas flow. These engine refinements and improvements have been recognized by the judges and brought FHI its first award in the competition.

Subaru’s current Impreza and Forester models, which are sold in Europe, North America, and Australia, come equipped with the award-winning 2.5-liter turbo engines, as does the Saab 9-2X, which is sold in North America under a supply agreement with Saab.

http://www.motorimage.net/SG/news/images/20060511_cars.jpg

Source: http://www.motorimage.net/HK/news.php?newstype=latest&newsid=0

==========================================================================================

http://www.subaru-global.com/topics/news/2006/0511.html says

http://www.subaru-global.com/topics/news/2006/img/engine.jpg

http://www.subaru-global.com/imgs/common-dot-001.gifSpecial content site is scheduled to be launched soon.

This Space For Rent

The LGT may sell itself, but Subaru numbers indicate that is a very small, unique group of buyers. Even in Outback, Forester and Impreza, turbo cars sell to a small demographic. The non turbo Outback, Forester, Impreza appears to pay the bills and keep the lights on. Legacy is way down on the NorAm sales list selling as snowcountry grocery hauler for grandma and grandpa or a budget concious family needing AWD, not a hot sport sedan/wagon.

Subaru does not seem to have the resources or interest in re-positioning or growing the share of Legacy in NorAm. Look how fast they dropped their advert campaign for "performance" Legacy "faster than a Porsche/BMW". Even if the faster than Porsche/BMW had to be a short term lead advert, the theme could have continued if Subaru had wanted to continue the strategy (with its AWARD winning 2.5 turbo engine). I am sure Subaru can point to the poor sales of the overpriced, poorly packaged Spec B sedan to justify their Legacy retreat. I guess Legacy does much better in Europe and Australia.

Great award for the 2.5 Subaru Boxer Turbo, but who is buying? Goofy fringe like us.

hey who cares about sales...i'm proud of subaru....normally we whine and cmoan about lack of features...but when credit is due...we should give it...good work subaru...keep it up...cheers!

• 2 weeks later...
more importantly, this is the INTERNATIONAL engine of the year. They do not sell the legacy with the 2.5 in Europe. Only the 3.0 and 2.0 twin scroll

All the better...

I agree with all here who think the leggy is understated...

HOWEVER, I think that it is for that very reason that my car seems to be quite a rare breed in the current world of no individuality amongst car owners (ie- 350Z, G35, huge beefy trucks, you name it, you know what i'm talking about...)

And it is for that reason, that I am a proud owner of one of these Subarus with the #1 International Engine...And yeah, props to Subaru, this engine KICKS!!!

Anyone else notice that the text on the award includes the Saab 9-2X... and still no Legacy!!!

Reason is the engine in the Legacy GT is not the same engine that powers the Impreza/Forester/9-2X turbos. I know it's very similar but for rating purposes it is different. Legacy didn't get the air pump and cylinder head cooling "enhancements" they talk about that lowered emissions. I suspect we'll see them on the Legacy in 08.

hey who cares about sales...i'm proud of subaru....normally we whine and cmoan about lack of features...but when credit is due...we should give it...good work subaru...keep it up...cheers!

I agree 100%

nice work Subaru!

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

I'm surprised they didn't give it to the underpowered VW 2.0T engine again. I'm glad they finnally gave credit where credit is due.

RobE,

I have to disagree with you man.... I am sorry but the Audi/VW 2.0 Direct Injection Turbo engine, is one of the best engines out there as well...

With direct injection, you loose less sparkles, better power (peak torque available before 2K RPMs - so praticaly no turbo lag), and the economy? An Audi A4 with that engine, does 25-27 city MPG!!!!!!

Underpowered? It can be, but don't just forget that that engine is doing to the automotive world, revolutioning the entire way to produce engines.. And it wouldn't be a surprise if Subie came out with a Direct Injection engine in the near future, ig: Mazda Speed 2.3 Direct Injection Turbo.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Some facts:

The Audi turbo 2.0 FSI "four" became the world's first volume-produced gasoline direct injection engine when it was introduced in the A3 Sportback.

It is now also offered on A4s, and Audi has expanded the direct injection technology to the 3.2 V6 available on A4 and A6 models. The 2.0T engine is available in three output versions ranging from 170 to 220 horsepower, though we only gets the 200-hp version.

In bestowing the honours on Audi, jurors praised the engine?s pulling power and high level of everyday usability. The exceptionally wide, flat torque curve on the furthers fuel economy while requiring only light throttle pressure produce assertive thrust and a near instantaneous unleashing of power.

With FSI technology, fuel is injected directly into the combustion chamber. The injector, located on the intake side of the cylinder head, is aided by a high-pressure pump driven off the overhead camshaft and a pressure reservoir, using a common rail system.

The turbo engine uses a compression ratio of 10.5 to 1, a figure normally achieved only by naturally aspirated engines. Combined with the direct injection system, it allows the Audi 2.0T to surpass the thermodynamic efficiency of both conventional intake manifold injection and traditional turbocharged engines.

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

I never said that the 2.0T wasn't a great engine, because it is, I just said that it was underpowered. If the VW engine produced 230 to 250hp I think I would be driving a different car.(GTI):icon_bigg

Have you seen the new upcoming R36?????

Supposed to be a really great AWD car!!!!!

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Look at what that engine does for the Passat (0-60 in 5.9 sec)

Hopefully they can fit the 3.6l in there. That engine, in that car, with AWD would be awesome. Definitely would be worth a test drive.

My next car:iam:

They will...

Read somewhere that they are developing this for the Golf....

This Passat is a really sweet automobile, if it had 6MT, AWD on a wagon body with that engine, things would be different to when I bought my LGT hehehehe

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

• 1 month later...
The reason I bought a LGT is because not everyone has one...I see WRX's all over the place and people expect them to be fast. But when I pull up to 5.0's and blow their friggin doors off, the looks i get are priceless. No one sees it coming:icon_mrgr Good job Subaru!

• 8 years later...

So, I wonder how this turned out ? Would they still give this engine that award today ?

Saw this thread linked in the bottom of another thread., under "Similar Threads"

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

So, I wonder how this turned out ? Would they still give this engine that award today ?

Saw this thread linked in the bottom of another thread., under "Similar Threads"

Probably not...

There are many 2.0 liter engines out there today (AVG, Ford Ecoboost, GM Ecotech, etc.) that are more powerful and more fuel efficient than ours and this is the key to technology innovation: better and more efficient than equivalent ones.

Nevertheless, I still think our engines are proven ground for massive horsepower opportunities, things that other might not be...:):):)

Flavio Zanetti

Boston, MA

Archived