LegacyGT.com

Opinions on 17x8's?

Rubix973

I'm looking to buy a set of 17x by 8's soon and they need to be forged, gotta be pothole worthy. Any wheels come to mind that arent uber expensive (under 350$ a wheel)? Also I need some help with tires. I'll be putting summer specific tires on these and they need to be a touch higher in sidewall profile. Reasoning is they'll fill the wheel wells better, i'm gonna stay stock suspension, and give me some more cushion (I've bent 5 stock wheels already :icon_mad:). Any thoughts on these as well?

I'll tell you what -- even my cheap (cast) Enkei RS-5's are holding up well. I've driven over some very rough roads a lot faster than I should and I haven't bent one after a couple years of driving on them. I was much more careful with my Exel wheels before that, but they bent without any one drastic or violent collision so it was a surprise when I found one of the wheels bent. All in all I'm impressed with Enkei.

I think OZ Racing is also good about building strong wheels for relatively low prices.

no sense in getting forged rim and pay that amount when it can still get bent. If you want a strong wheel, get a mesh type wheel and get a well constructed rim.

Of course the other way around is running around with some uber heavy cast wheels.. I remember one set of my ADRs (Version II) was soo strong that it survived NYC potholes like it was its job.

Keefe

the rec. for RPF1's is a good one. They are nice and not expensive. You won't be finding many true forged 17x8's in the price range you are looking at.

Keep in mind, there are different types of casting and different types of forging. Forging is not by default better than casting....it's all in the process.

Another thing to think about - replacing a bent cheap rim is less costly than paying a premium for a hi-end forged one. There's no guarantee the expensive one will survive the impact.

RPF 1 is a nice wheel. Had it on my STi.

With that being said.. sounds like you need a good pair of glasses over some nice wheels. bent 5 stock wheels???

"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

RPF 1 is a nice wheel. Had it on my STi.

With that being said.. sounds like you need a good pair of glasses over some nice wheels. bent 5 stock wheels???

Drive where I drive on a daily basis then come back and tell me how my vision is.

you need a Jeep then. I drive in DC and it's the same there....people drive SUV's there because of the roads.

You speak blasphemy! I will never succumb to driving anything with a "UV" in its car class.

i think i'm on my way to a set of 17x8 Rota Rev purchase in Full Royal Gunmetal in about a week or so. NC (specially Charlotte) roads aren't the greatest since we seem to house the corporate headquaters for every 18 wheeler company in existence!!!

Kenda:dm:

Archived