LegacyGT.com

They have to replace more than just your ecu to repair it correctley

True, but..... Since it has been repaired 3 times for the exact same problem he could invoke the lemon law and just wash his hands of it.

Not sure you can lemon law a cooling fan issue, regardless of trying to fix it three times. All states are different, but doesn't it have to be a much bigger issue?

Edited: After doing some googling on "lemon law faqs" looks like you might be able to.

- The Mortgage Man

True, but..... Since it has been repaired 3 times for the exact same problem he could invoke the lemon law and just wash his hands of it.
Easier said then done. Read up on it, there are a lot of contingencies

Denial is your best friend

hmmmm.....? well get to it. They replace just more then the cooling fan, but only neccessary relays.. I live in California so im pretty sure there will be some way, for me to go through with it..kinda talked to my service advisor a little about it he is supposed to call me up with the details.. ill let you guys know whats up...thanks for all the suggestion's guys....

The Lemon Law typically only applies during the first year of ownership. So if you have had the car longer than 12 months then you won't get very far with it. You also have to prove that the problem creates a safety issue or hurts the resale value of the car. I think the cooling fan kicking on and being annoying is something you would have a hard time getting them to buy back your car for.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

hmmm... dunno I was reading up on some of the lemon law faq said nothing of that sort..as long as the car is under manufacturers warrenty its covered doesnt have to be within the year...of purchase. and with the safety issue, has nothing to do with that. Its if the dealer has made reasonable amount of attempts to repair or service to meet the terms of the warranty. something to that sort.. nothing dealing with a specific issue like safety

You could be right about that. Every state is different, so if California has something in their Lemon Law that applies to the whole warranty period of the car, then you can probably get a lawer and start the process. It usually does take a lawyer no matter what state you are in. You are talking about a $30,000 car and not a Geo Metro. This is a big expense for car manufacturers to take back, so expect them to fight you on it. There are probably a ton of Lemon Law attorneys in California if they are going to extend the protection for the entire length of the warranty.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

yea..my friend busted out the lemon law in his golf...didnt have a lawyer or anything.. hopefully same goes with my deal..its not really all that bad, But when 3-4 months go by and it come back on out of no where for the 3 time, it gets irratating...

I just pulled the fuse on mine several months ago.

Plugged it back in when we had a stretch of 90 degree weather a couple weaks ago. I plan to go summer with, and the rest of the time without it.

Never seen an increase in the temp guage either way.

Plan on trading the car in a couple years from now with the fuse out. No one will know the difference, and the car will be fine.

Flame away, but my faith in car service departments is nonexistent, and this thread confirms my suspicion that taking the car in for this problem would be more trouble than it is worth.

I certainly don't need some lot porter to hot rod my car after an ECU replacement, either.

Its the penalty for buying a first year run model, IMO. The boxer motor has a reputation for extreme reliability, so I'm not the least bit worried, even if I end up keeping the car another 10 years.

--

I went through it with my Baja and basically in CA it has to be withn in a certin time frame and/or milage, I don't remember the exact numbers. But since I had to many miles on the car I couldn't clame it under the lemon law, but SOA made it worth my while to by the LGT. Just call them 1800subaru3 and talk to a customer rep. They will take your complaint and then they will transfer it to a specialiast that will call you back in a day or two after they get all the records from the dealiership. It works to at least greast the wheels a bit. Good luck.

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I went through it with my Baja and basically in CA it has to be withn in a certin time frame and/or milage, I don't remember the exact numbers. But since I had to many miles on the car I couldn't clame it under the lemon law, but SOA made it worth my while to by the LGT. Just call them 1800subaru3 and talk to a customer rep. They will take your complaint and then they will transfer it to a specialiast that will call you back in a day or two after they get all the records from the dealiership. It works to at least greast the wheels a bit. Good luck.

that bad thing with that time frame is... the problem occurs 3 and some odd weeks. or so after the "fix" its been the same way the past 2 times...

I have a 2006 Legacy GT Spec B which has been plauged by the "burning clutch smell" whenever the clutch is under load. I have never experienced any clutch burnign smell or premature clutch wear in any of my other vehicles including my first car which was a 70 Nova SS with a 350hp LT1 and Muncie 4 speed. My local dealer acknowledges the problem and the regional Subaru Service Rep admits that the clutch emits a burning smell but states that it is not defective. Subaru of America will not repair/replace the clutch. Additionally, they claim that this is the first time that this clutch issue has been brought to their attention.

It appears that other people on this site also have similar problems with their clutches. I am inintiating a complaint with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair under the Lemon Law Clause. I would welcome other people coming forward with their clutch problems and Subaru's response. Please email me a description of your problem and Subaru's response.

Thanks,

Rich

I have a 2006 Legacy GT Spec B which has been plauged by the "burning clutch smell" whenever the clutch is under load. I have never experienced any clutch burnign smell or premature clutch wear in any of my other vehicles including my first car which was a 70 Nova SS with a 350hp LT1 and Muncie 4 speed. My local dealer acknowledges the problem and the regional Subaru Service Rep admits that the clutch emits a burning smell but states that it is not defective. Subaru of America will not repair/replace the clutch. Additionally, they claim that this is the first time that this clutch issue has been brought to their attention.

It appears that other people on this site also have similar problems with their clutches. I am inintiating a complaint with the California Bureau of Automotive Repair under the Lemon Law Clause. I would welcome other people coming forward with their clutch problems and Subaru's response. Please email me a description of your problem and Subaru's response.

Thanks,

Rich

I think this clutch smell thing is due to excessive lubrication to protect it. For the first year mine had the smell after a hard launch, but not anymore.

The car is an AWD Turbo, and the order of battle when it gets romped on is for the clutch to take the trauma, not the transmission. I don't blame Subaru at all for trying to help us get a longer life out of the clutch with a little extra grease/oil (whatever it is) that burns when the car is abused.

Would you rather have an EVO, which will just blow the clutch, and then have your warranty denied? This is one of the differences between Subaru and Mitsubishi... trust me a bad clutch smell is a welcome fragrance when compared to the thought of owning a Mitsubishi AWD Turbo car.

In short, I think your complaint, if acted upon by Subaru, is likely to cost future Subaru owners $$ in clutch replacements.

IF you don't buy this line of reasoning, start another thread with a poll, and ask how many Legacy GT owners here (05 models and up) have gone through a clutch. Not many have, because Subaru did a good job with it, extra lube and all.

--

I appreciate your reply. I truly believe my clutch is defective (materials). Slippage is noted under normal driving conditions that may not occur in some peolple's daily drive. I have to drive in San Francisco once or twice weekly. The clutch does slip and burn when accelerating from a stop on a steep hill. Again, I have owned many vehicles with manual transmissions including a turbo mitsubishi VR-4, GSXand have never had any premature clutch wear or burning/slippage with daily use in San Fransciso. I would welcome other owner's experience. The Legacy GT's are not inexpensive vehicles and I do not buy into the arguement that a clutch fix would put undue burden on Subaru owners. No sports sedan should experience "clutch burn" under moderate loading conditions. I do not drop the clutch at 3,000 RPMS. However, doing so, should not elicit clutch burn/slippage in a properly designed sports sedan. I am interested in hearing from other people on this matter. I do not believe that this problem affects all vehicles. Road and Track was dropping the clutch well above 3,000 RMPS in their road test and certaily would have commented on smoke and fumes from the clutch if it occured during their testing.

Best Regards,

Rich

• 8 years later...

Archived