LegacyGT.com

550 miles in one weekend - the good, bad, and ugly.

Hey folks, I got back late last night from a little family get together. I drove my Legacy GT Limited from Staten Island, NY, to Philly, Pa to Lancaster, Pa. Friday night. The ride is extremely comfortable and I was very pleased. All the interior features work great, and this car is beautiful inside it at night. The Good: Comfort is excellent. The car is always very smooth. The car has pick up like an animal. I couldn't resist the urge a few times and took the car beyond 4000 rpm - oh well. The manual mode in sport mode is fun and will go right to red line. Another thing is the power this car has - it has loads of it, and I have had the tires chirp a few times, once or twice when the car was in motion. I have 565 miles on the car and haven't noticed anything wrong with it, this car is simply amazing. The Bad: When you have your driver's window open, I hear this whistling sound like a boiling teakettle - it is a little annoying. 565 miles on the odometer, almost all of it highway driving, and I have only averaged 20.1 mpg up to this point. I purchased the car with only 9 miles on it, and it came with a full tank of gas, I already have spent $45 in gas in the first 565 miles, and right now she has less than 3/4 of a tank. The Ugly: Having hundreds of bugs splat all over your mirrors, front bumper, and windshield, and your windshield wipers unable to get a bunch of them off. Another ugly thing is the foot impression I already have on the floor mat in front of my gas pedal. All in all, the car is excellent. I am very pleased with this car, and right now looking forward to the next road trip. - Mike

Congrats on the car I'm glad you enjoyed it I just put 1300 miles on the car this weekend and the car was brillant and did all it needed to do. The gas mileage still sucks but oh well. If you go slow enough you can get good gas mileage, around 70-73 mph, but I tend to average about 80 to a little above and the car gets not that great of gas mileage at those speeds. So speeds depends a lot on gas mileage specifacally in this car with the turbo an all.

'05 Black Legacy GT Wagon 5-spd

'02 Topaz/Black 330Ci 5-spd

Drift Ryder's School of Rally Arts, coming to an Australia near you.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci']Congrats on the car I'm glad you enjoyed it I just put 1300 miles on the car this weekend and the car was brillant and did all it needed to do. The gas mileage still sucks but oh well. If you go slow enough you can get good gas mileage, around 70-73 mph, but I tend to average about 80 to a little above and the car gets not that great of gas mileage at those speeds. So speeds depends a lot on gas mileage specifacally in this car with the turbo an all.[/quote] I guess I shouldn't complain, I should think about those RX-8 owners getting 13 mpg. :roll: - Mike

Congrats on your new ride. Your high revs are likely contributing to your low 20 miles to the gallon. I average around 23 MPG per fill up, half hwy and half city. Regardless, the MPG is still low, although I would prefer the AWD advantage over other more efficient R/FWD cars. You may want to consider purchasing the all weather rubber floor mats. They trap dirt really well and add to the asthetic appeal of the interior. Glad to hear you're enjoying your break-in! Did you visit the premium outlets in lancaster? There are some great prices over there!

[quote name='godwhomismike']Hey folks, . The Bad: When you have your driver's window open, I hear this whistling sound like a boiling teakettle - it is a little annoying. - Mike[/quote] Read this post, I fixed my whistle. [url]http://www.legacygt.com/viewtopic.php?t=1934&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0[/url]

[quote name='D-2.5-GT']its an auto...why are you using the e-brake? maybe on a very steep hill, but otherwise you shouldn't bother...the car isn't going to roll in park...[/quote] Unless you want the load of the car being held by the transmission even with an auto the E-brake should always be used but laziness has made this practice nearly absolete now.

[quote name='05LegacyGT330Ci'][quote name='D-2.5-GT']its an auto...why are you using the e-brake? maybe on a very steep hill, but otherwise you shouldn't bother...the car isn't going to roll in park...[/quote] Unless you want the load of the car being held by the transmission even with an auto the E-brake should always be used but laziness has made this practice nearly absolete now.[/quote] I always use the E-brake when I park, which is why is amazed me that I forgot to disengage it on 3 occasions this past weekend. Oh btw... thanks for posting how to fix the whistling sound. Someone said my poor gas mileage is due to me driving very hard, I could count on one maybe two hands tops the amount of times when I got on it for a very brief amount one time – maybe 10 second spurts at most. Most of my driving was cruising between 70-75 mph highway driving, occasionally going up to 80 and down to 60 to vary the revs. - Mike

Guest JessterCPA
The gas mileage shoots up right at about 1500 miles. I was getting 19-20mpg, now I get 24-25mpg. I drive the same, still a little heavy on the pedal.

For my all highway roadtrip this weekend (380 miles each way) going thru eastern TN (w/ the mountains and everything on I-75), I averaged 26.5 ish mpg. I was going 70-80 (tons of cops out) driving with my cruise control, and had around 900 miles on the car. My old wimpy I-4 Cougar would get only a little more (maybe 27-28ish), though it does only need regular gas. On the other hand, climbing up the hills/mountain required the Cougar had to downshift just to maintain speed, but the GT had absolutely no problem accelerating uphill in 5th!

Th3Franz I would check your mileage when you fill up though the computer can be very accurate to inaccurate I've noticed through my own testing of MPG against the computer, it has been low .5 to high 2 MPG.

I drove my car 800 miles two weekends ago and averaged 23 mpg. Commuting on the highway 80%, and driving in town 20%, I am averaging 21 mpg. I wish I could get the same mileage that you guys are finding. My only complaint on a long ride was that the seats are not very comfortable when sitting several hours at a time. Also, as mentioned above... it can be a challenge getting the bugs out of the fog light molding. John

I broke my car in with a 1200-mile trip from Washington DC to Cincinnati and averaged 27.9 mpg for the whole trip. I think the biggest difference was that I was very gentle with it around town (shifted at 3500 rpm or so). I also put it in neutral for most of the hills in VA, but I doubt that made a ton of difference. My biggest complaint with the car so far has been the radio reception. My 1991 Accord got much better reception, which is kind of embarassing. I noticed the wind noise with the window down too - I'll have to try that fix.

Archived