LegacyGT.com

Door Vapor Liner?

sgt

I reinstalled mine over everything. Dynamat is hard to get to cover every last crevice and you can't do it in one sheet like the non-tacky vapor barrier.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y124/PatagonianGT/stereo/donewithbarrier.jpg

no need for it with Full dynamat coveragE!

Not trying to badger you on the issue, but water leaks are like living organisms. They are quite crafty in finding ways into cars. Just monitor it close and make sure your not getting drips out of the bottom of the inside door panel after it rains.

I'd hate to see you turn that thing into a moldy smelling POS!:icon_mad: Nothing worse than that smell.

Question; Does the dynomat make it quieter on the highway???? Or does it improve the sound quality of the speakers?

Not trying to badger you on the issue, but water leaks are like living organisms. They are quite crafty in finding ways into cars. Just monitor it close and make sure your not getting drips out of the bottom of the inside door panel after it rains.

I'd hate to see you turn that thing into a moldy smelling POS!:icon_mad: Nothing worse than that smell.

Question; Does the dynomat make it quieter on the highway???? Or does it improve the sound quality of the speakers?

No probs... I'm a microbiologist... so I know how bad bacteria and mold can smell! The worst smelling organism I've ever come across is clostridium sporogenes Which smells like my ass after I eat egg mcmuffins! I don't eat egg mcmuffins anymore either!

The Dynamat extreme I used throughout my car acts as a sound and heat barrier... It effectively reduces the sound levels escaping from the car and equally the ones coming into the car. It helps bass response and sound quality, but when sound energy is absorbed, the energy can't be lost (remember physics and the conservation of energy laws) so the sound energy transfers to heat energy which dissipates off! This intrinsic property of the dynamat extreme (less so in regular dynamat) effectively creates a sound and heat barrier in your car... making it easier to keep the car warmer in the winter or cooler in the summer. Obviously heat or AC will be used to create and maintain the desired temperature of the car, but the car holds or maintains this temperature more efficiently!

Dynamat extreme is something like .45 mm thick, made of the stickiest, densest f'ng rubbery shiat that you'll ever want to work with along with a layer of finger-slicing foil on top! If applied correctly and entirely to the doors on the inside and outside layers of the inner door frames, covering open holes and so on (leave drainage holes in bottom of inner area open), you won't need the crappy piece of plastic! It was not put into my car, but you can easily use a glue gun to place the plastic back onto the car doors, over the dynamat, if you so please. I did that with my WRX... I got a sheet of new thicker plastic and glued/trimmed it to each door, as th stock pieces were ripped/mangled! PIA to get back into doors again if you need to!

Anyway. Dynamat is heavy... it makes the doors feel substantially heavier and they have a more quality closing sound... The sound quality increase is worth it alone to me, but might not be to you if you are into the whole weight to power ratio thing, or AutoX or race or something!

Anyway... my 2 cents!

Answering your question specifically: Yes, it dramatically reduces highway noise... but not completely as there are many window which transmit wind noise! AND, no I haven't had wet door panels... I've had a wet passenger footwell, but that is another SOA warranty issue, and it was related to drainage issues of the AC condenser. not water getting into the doors. Suby doors do pass agreat deal of water through them though, so be sure to properly seal and cover wiring and electronics exposed!

-Mark

Very interesting. Also nice work putting that stuff on there. We here at the dealer I work at sell something similar (Chrysler/Dodge). It has that sticky black mastic substance bonded to a sheet of heavy aluminum foil type material.

I hate road noise myself, so I'm going to trey the rear doors first and maby in the quarter panels behind the back seat.

Great job, and thanks for the little walk thru!

Quick question. that organism you were talking about.....is that the same type that gets into your heater box and stinks customers out of the car when they turn the HVAC system on? We have a big problem with A/C evaporators smelling like old socks! Mopar makes a product called Air-Sept. It works, but only for a short time. What can I run thru there to kill the stuff? One of my techs tried straight isopropol (sorry, spelling) alcohol and the sparks from the heater motor set a BRIEF, but scary flame thru the vents!!!:icon_surp

clostridium sporogenes is an anaerobic microbe, meaning it only grows in conditions where there is no oxygen present. So I'm assuming that there is an abundant presence of 02 in the HVAC andI'm willing to bet that it is not C. sporogenes!

Archived