LegacyGT.com

rattle when starting from stop

Getting a rattle from a stop just as the RPMs hit their lowest point as clutch fully engages. Can't hear when starting. idling, or any other gears. Might get a touch of it if I short shift to 2nd, again low RPMs. It is fairly quiet... windows up and a car behind me or beside me at a light and I can't hear it.

Gonna check the trays and heatshields tomorrow, but any known suspects for a low-RPM rattle?

I was driving around on dirt roads Saturday, betting a rock got where it wasn't supposed to or something loosened up.

-B

• 3 weeks later...

Update...still haven't checked anything, hehe.

Seems to happen right around 1800RPM in 2nd clutch fully engaged, and on a normal clutch engagement just as the clutch pedal comes fully up, and right around the same RPM. Slower release doesn't do it, and a fast release does make the noise, but only for a split second.

Will poke around tomorrow morning...

• 4 weeks later...

So, finally found out where the rattle is coming from...I think. Sounds like the silencer/resonator area. Something internal? Heatshield? Only the phantom knows... It was dark at the time and the car was hot, will crawl under tonight and try to pinpoint.

Anybody else have a rattling resonator?

^ Didn't another Stage II'er manage to blow a couple of pieces of his third cat down into his resonator?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

^ I've so far come up empty on my searches, but I believe his was a case of having an annoying rattling/resonance at certain RPM....

I'll keep trying, too! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Really need to crawl under and go over the area where I had heard it and check for any bends on the heat shields/anything loose from the dirt road driving, especially the big ol' ones around the silencer/resonator. Really odd that it sounded like it was closer to the front when in the car. Sneaky sound waves...

Hmm, rubber mallet whacking for the win!

-B

I believe that this was the origin of the problem, here:

http://legacygt.com/forums/turbo-powertrains-2-0gt-2-5gt-2-5xt/35526-stage-2-one-minor-irritation-rattle.html?highlight=exhaust+rattle

But I am failing in my attempt to find his "resolution" thread...... :redface::(

Archived