LegacyGT.com

07 Spec B. - Will 6MT eliminate the CDV and clutch strink?

DaveN

I have a 05 and I dont have any clutch stink. I think there was a mid year change in the system.

So do I, but I got the clutch stink once when I was getting the car up on ramps to change the UP/DP. I guess the strain on the clutch is what triggers the stink...

Any speculation as to whether the 6MT will come with a new clutch possibly eliminating the dreaded clutch stink?

I doubt it, as the clutch in my '04 STi would smell pretty bad if I slipped it a little too much. My '03 WRX never had that smell. So, I think it's just inherent in all Subaru clutches now... :p

-Mike-

Either I'm learning or the stink is time-limited in my two 05s (OBXT and LGT).

The OBXT had it way bad; the LGT only had it when I really feathered the clutch under high revs (rare).

But I haven't had it in either car for a coupla months now, so maybe it's all used up.

My LegGT/wagon early/05, had terrible clutch stink and clutch failed at 21k miles. Dealer said clutch plate was broken in four places. My BMW clutch looked like new at 64k miles. Subaru dealer said it must have been defective part. My LegGT/MT wagon is much more fun than the BMW 325iX wagon, BTW.

Not a good feeling to be pulling onto the interstate in the middle of the desert and have clutch go bye, bye shifing into second gear.

My LegGT/wagon early/05, had terrible clutch stink and clutch failed at 21k miles. Dealer said clutch plate was broken in four places. My BMW clutch looked like new at 64k miles. Subaru dealer said it must have been defective part.

+1

Same here, now no stink unless I really heat the clutch or it slips in traffic. Before I got the stink all the time with normal usage. The prob should be corrected now.

Even though Subaru never openly admitted it was a problem...

Yeah I don't get a constant stink. Its only when I slip it too long for fine movements. Like if I rev it to 3 k by accident, but then don't get off the clutch right away.

+1 If you get consistent stink any other way, you likely have a defective pressure plate that will eventually fail (it will start slipping in higher gears when engaged).

Archived