LegacyGT.com

stock vs intake silencer removed vs panel vs short ram

i'm trying to compare sound differences.

I know the stock intake is quiet

silencer removal gives a lower growl around 3 -4k rpm

what about a drop in panel filter with the silencer removed?

will I be hearing the turbo and wastegate more?

I've been in a car with a perrin short ram and the turbo spool and bov was quite noticable, and I liked it.

just wondering if it will be as noticable with just a panel filter or not?

also, will AP Stg. 1 + panel be ok?

Can't help ya with the other stuff, but yes, "Stage I" w/panel (on the stock intake, even with resonnator removed) should be just fine. :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I have the AVO panel filter w/cobb APstg.I, it sounds great to me. Ask Jedi re:silencer removed + panel. Think he even has a sound clip.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

honestly, the drop in filter make the car sound like a vacuum cleaner. It's neat, but not at all what i was expecting.

all you really get with the drop in filter is that you hear the air rushing into the turbo (the whoooosh) and then you can hear another wooosh for the BOV. You dont get any added growl or engine noise. (at least not with the intake silencer already removed)

anyhow, still cool... easy cheap mod.

I think it growls enough for a 4 banger,

the "woosh" and the whistle and the "pshh" is what i'm looking for. thanks!

but! is the short ram even louder regaring the "woosh" whistle and "pshh?"

so pretty much.. that paper filter is like a sound insulator... interesting.

The 'woosh' sound got old pretty fast. It was cool at first when I removed the silencer, but after I added the Perrin panel filter, it was way to loud, I couldn't even hear the nice high pitch turbo whine anymore.

Since then, I've put the silencer back on (no real performance gain anyway), and now almost tempted to put the stock filter back in as well, just so I don't have to hear other ppl's 'wtf?' whenever I have to drive for lunch. :)

I have the K&N panel, removed the resonator, and added a intake charge pipe. I recently went TDC stage 1, and I am extremely happy with the performance and sound. It is not too loud at all, and you actually hardly notice it until you mash on it. I highly recommend doing this over a short ram or cai intake, as that could cause a lean condition. Lean is bad.....mmmkayyy! :icon_bigg
"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

honestly, the drop in filter make the car sound like a vacuum cleaner. It's neat, but not at all what i was expecting.

all you really get with the drop in filter is that you hear the air rushing into the turbo (the whoooosh) and then you can hear another wooosh for the BOV. You dont get any added growl or engine noise. (at least not with the intake silencer already removed)

anyhow, still cool... easy cheap mod.

:lol: "A giant vacuum cleaner" is exactly how i described it to my friends when I 1st did the mod. Right now I am running the stock ECU with an AVO panel and the silencer removed.

I love it! ...Though somedays it seems louder than others for some reason. With my car you definitely hear the deeper growl, the turbo spool and then the BOV. It seems louder in the cabin with the windows UP (less road/wind noise to interfere I guess?) ...sometimes i wish it was louder :icon_twis . I will occasionally pull along side a car driving with its windows open and abruptly let off the gas just to let them enjoy the "PFffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffft.... WHOOOPIShhhhhhhh!!!" :lol:

http://legacygt.com/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=566089

Read this.

I did the best I could to create this link.....my first here:icon_roll

I asked if stage 1 with the K&N was ok. He said as long as I use good fuel, it does lean it out slightly.

In my opinion, I think the K&N unit is well engineered. See his comment about diameter and flow.

I think K&N was more concerned about velocity than intake size. It works, period.

The 'woosh' sound got old pretty fast. It was cool at first when I removed the silencer, but after I added the Perrin panel filter, it was way to loud, I couldn't even hear the nice high pitch turbo whine anymore.

Since then, I've put the silencer back on (no real performance gain anyway), and now almost tempted to put the stock filter back in as well, just so I don't have to hear other ppl's 'wtf?' whenever I have to drive for lunch. :)

Why waste your time caring about what other people think of your woosh? Personally I could give a crap less whether people like my Woosh or not.

♪Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery;

None but ourselves can free our minds.♫ -Bob Marley, Redemption Song

Any chance removing the stock resonator may hurt performance??

It actually helps. I removed my resonator, and plugged the 3" hole. Drove it for a few hundred miles, then removed the plug, and re-installed my resonator after I modified it to act like a scoop. There was a very noticeable difference with this.

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

Myself & Iamboon have been playing around with intakes & filters for a while.

Long story short HP panel filter.....more sound.....better airflow

I have had 3 intakes on my car. The only one that I can recommend is the one I am currently running... the AVO unit:)

Boon is running the Blitz intake & is having great luck with that one also. Have not tried it but the Typhoon seems to be a improvement over the panel filter also.

One thing I can say about the AVO, it is very quiet. No louder than my Perrin Panel filter.

The car def. is stronger with it on the car. The car pulls noticebly harder up top.

As with ANY intake......Get the car Protuned, it's not worth the risk!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Why waste your time caring about what other people think of your woosh? Personally I could give a crap less whether people like my Woosh or not.

b/c 1 of those passenger is my boss. :lol:

Just trying to keep a low profile at work. But honestly, I've gotten used to the perrin filter now. Hell, I don't really notice it anymore until someone in the car ask me if that was the BOV sound. lol.

I have had 3 intakes on my car. The only one that I can recommend is the one I am currently running... the AVO unit:)

Boon is running the Blitz intake & is having great luck with that one also. Have not tried it but the Typhoon seems to be a improvement over the panel filter also.

One thing I can say about the AVO, it is very quiet. No louder than my Perrin Panel filter.

The car def. is stronger with it on the car. The car pulls noticebly harder up top.

Any pics, duno results or logs with the AVO intake?

I installed the K&N filter today.

I don't think there's really any more audible difference.

Even if there might be minimal difference, it's too small to notice..

who knows. maybe I'll realize it more some day.

maybe there's an increase in power, cuz there should be an increase in air flow.

I was gonna get a Perrin instead, but they suggested K&N

The guy said on his WRX he had both and would always choose the K&N over the Perrin:

1. too thin and doesn't filter as well

2. gets dirty too easily

personally I think those two statements contradict each other.. but oh well.

a lot of people do have K&N and I don't see too many of them bitchin, so I'll give it a try I guess. plus I got a new sticker for my car lol

personally I think those two statements contradict each other..

Yeah, I always get a kick out people saying how great there filter is because it's been like 10K miles and it looks so much cleaner than the stock filter did after 5K miles. Ummm, that's probably not a good think unless you happened to move somewhere with cleaner air at the same time you installed the filter.

is this avo panel filter vs perrin panel filter? if so how could you feel the difference?

Archived