LegacyGT.com

Factory MP3 Unit

Nautious1

I searched but could not find any conclusive threads regarding the factory MP3 unit.

My question is how many of you bought your car (05 or 06) with the factory 6 disc MP3 unit?

Mines did not have it but when I read the factory manual, it says that there were three types of head unit options for the Legacy. My car came with the "regular" 6 disc changer. Not sure if this applies to the Outbacks. . . .

Guest *Jedimaster*
Outbacks get the "regular" one too, unless you get the VDC model. I'm not sure it's worth all the extra coin to listen to MP3's, as they are typically not great quality.

I have an '05, but after the sh*theads at Grand Pricks Subaru ruined my car, one of the things I made them do was pay to upgrade the radio when replacing it. So I have the MP3 version. It only comes in the 3.0 four door legacy or LL Bean/VDC wagon.

As for being worth it? That's a matter of opinion jedi. MP3's are as good quality as you rip them. If you rip them at 320, from your own computer, with proper setting, they're just as good as from the CD (provided you have a good CD drive and ripping program). The upside is that you can fit 4-6 albums on one CD as MP3's, x6 CD's in the changer. I love it.

Only downside is that it only comes with a 12 month/12k mile warranty and if it ever breaks (ACC included), Subaru won't replace it because it's not "standard factory equipment" OR "standard factory option" on this vehicle. I've argued over and over because I'm having trouble with mine (CD is jamming and the ACC screen intermittently goes blank).

I swapped the head unit early on. I was about the 4th or 5th person on the board to do it. I know Boomshnka did it with no problems, as I thought did rao. I had no problems other than accidentally bending a pin which was easily straigtened.

As for sound quality, if you aren't using an aftermarket head unit, upgraded speakers and amps, I don't think you can claim the sound quality of the .mp3 format is the weak link of the system. Hell, the accoustic qualities of a CAR driven on the road I think negates any issues you'll find regarding sound quality unless you're planning on competing in SQL.

As far as the cost - when I did it, there were even fewer options out there at the time for upgrading sound. If I were to do it over again today, I'd buy a Jazzy Board and a 30-60 gig iPod which would give you even more flexibility at a cheaper price.

Guest *Jedimaster*
I have an '05, but after the sh*theads at Grand Pricks Subaru ruined my car, one of the things I made them do was pay to upgrade the radio when replacing it. So I have the MP3 version. It only comes in the 3.0 four door legacy or LL Bean/VDC wagon.

As for being worth it? That's a matter of opinion jedi. MP3's are as good quality as you rip them. If you rip them at 320, from your own computer, with proper setting, they're just as good as from the CD (provided you have a good CD drive and ripping program). The upside is that you can fit 4-6 albums on one CD as MP3's, x6 CD's in the changer. I love it.

Only downside is that it only comes with a 12 month/12k mile warranty and if it ever breaks (ACC included), Subaru won't replace it because it's not "standard factory equipment" OR "standard factory option" on this vehicle. I've argued over and over because I'm having trouble with mine (CD is jamming and the ACC screen intermittently goes blank).

Good point- I just meant that some people take stuff from Kazaa years ago they downloaded and listen to it.

Archived