LegacyGT.com

Accident Voids Warranty??

Recently I was in an accident that damaged my suspension. Everything was replaced with OEM parts but I have issues now with my suspension now, i.e. alignment, steering shake. I brought the car to the dealer a couple weeks ago and they told me I should let the body shop that worked on the car to fix my problems because if they (the dealer) did the work they would charge me full cost for the parts and labor. They said they knew the car was in an accident and that my suspension warranty was/is voided.

Is there any truth to this or am I being hosed. I got those problems taken care of by the body shop a couple weeks ago but now the steering wheel shake is back and I know the body shop isnt going to do anything about it. My car's an 05 and now I'm told part of my factory warranty is no good because I got into an accident? Just seems odd to me. Any thoughts on this guys? Its gonna really piss me off if out I have to shell out more money for this effin car.

probably would have been better to go to the place where they fixed your suspension parts

seems like they might have made an error or something

im not sure if an accident voids the warranty, might try reading the small print on the warranty page/contracts

Yea had the same thing happen to me did you have your insurance company get in to it if they did the work keep calling and complaing about it who is your insurance carrier? If they said that you had to bring it to a shop that they know I also would complain about that to you can bring your car to any shop you want but I hope I gave you some insite on that.

if the dealer you bought the car from did your accident repairs would they have warrantied it?, i kind see my they wouldn't want to warranty it because it's out of their control by not doing repairs, you can take your car anywhere to get the work done, but the insurance co. will only pay what they want, if higher at other shop you pay difference, bosco
Stay Stock Stay Happy

I think you guys are missing something here. My car was repaired correctly. Now (4 weeks after I have gotten my car back) problems have arised with steering wheel shake at highway speeds. The dealership noticed somehow that my car was repaired due to an earlier accident and is now refusing to do the work under the factory warranty. My question is do they have the right to deny me factory warranty service even though my car was repaired correctly by the body shop?

I think you guys are missing something here. My car was repaired correctly. Now (4 weeks after I have gotten my car back) problems have arised with steering wheel shake at highway speeds. The dealership noticed somehow that my car was repaired due to an earlier accident and is now refusing to do the work under the factory warranty. My question is do they have the right to deny me factory warranty service even though my car was repaired correctly by the body shop?

teh suspension was damaged, and had to be repaired. If I rear end someone, does my warranty cover a new bumper? no. They warranteed what they sold you and like most warranties do not warrent incidental or deliberate damage.

I doubt you ahve a leg to stand on. Those aren't the parts SOA sold you, wasn't SOA's labor that put them in, and wasn't SOA's doing that you got into an accident. It sucks, but I doubt you ahve a leg to stand on, and I can see their point.

If you had a shake, and the place fixed it, and it came back, it wasn't repaired correctly.

If it's shake from braking, not much you can do as the factory pads will keep on doing it over and over due to forming uneven deposits on the rotor. I.e. it's not broke, they jsut suck. If it's something else, the repair aint right, so you should have recourse with the shop that did the work if it is less than 90 days. (possibly more if your ins co has some influence)

OK so I guess I'm s.o.l. Now I'll be brutally honest. I HATE THIS GOD DAMN CAR! I filed lemon law for the engine stutter BS and SOA cut me check but would not buy the car back stating "they couldnt replicate my issue." So now my savings account balance has increased and I have to deal with this junk car for another 3 years. For me to spend any more money on this car makes me sick. I guess I'll just live with the shake because I'm sure it'll come back eventually. 215/45/17 is not a good size tire for an all season daily driver especially RE92s driven in NJ. I noticed the Acura TSX comes with 215/50/17's stock that would of been the smart tire choice for this car stock but then again theres not too much smart associated with this car.

I know 99% of you guys here dont agree with this car being built like crap but I have plenty of reasons. Oh and 1 milawaukee beer can found in an engine bay is one too many. I'm surprised mine didnt have one, though I havent thoroughly checked...

Thanks for your guys help anyway.

so you are pissed off that your car doesn't run right after an accident. I really wouldn't blame the manufacturer. Seriously, go be pissed off for a day, then calm down and take it up with insurance. Deciding to blame SOA isn't going to get you anywhere if you lose the opportunity to get your car fixed right. Also, it might be worth it to shell out diagnostic fees to the dealer as them saying it isn't to spec might actually be worth something to your insurance company. Calm down and make some phone calls, and do what's in your best interest rather than just pissing and moaning.

As for the tire size. I had a car with 215/50/17s and I can tell you the tire choice was actually a lot worse than our size, although the math on plus-sizing worked out a little easier.

heck, in stock size, I have 14 high performance all-season choices on tirerack. In 215/50/17, I have 6, and that's about twice what the choices were when I replaced the factory tires on my eclipse back when.

As what the sidewall height has to do with driving in NJ, you have got me.

so you are pissed off that your car doesn't run right after an accident. I really wouldn't blame the manufacturer. Seriously, go be pissed off for a day, then calm down and take it up with insurance. Deciding to blame SOA isn't going to get you anywhere if you lose the opportunity to get your car fixed right. Also, it might be worth it to shell out diagnostic fees to the dealer as them saying it isn't to spec might actually be worth something to your insurance company. Calm down and make some phone calls, and do what's in your best interest rather than just pissing and moaning.

As for the tire size. I had a car with 215/50/17s and I can tell you the tire choice was actually a lot worse than our size, although the math on plus-sizing worked out a little easier.

heck, in stock size, I have 14 high performance all-season choices on tirerack. In 215/50/17, I have 6, and that's about twice what the choices were when I replaced the factory tires on my eclipse back when.

As what the sidewall height has to do with driving in NJ, you have got me.

This car was crap WAY before the accident. Oh and unlike many people on this board pissing and moaning about the engine stutter I actually went out and did something about it and got paid. As far as sidewall height the 215/45/17 suck for where I drive (Kearny, Belleville, Jersey City, etc.) so a larger profile tire would definitely help me out. I frankly dont care about tire choice. My insurance isnt going to help me out here its way too after the fact now. Whatever I'll suck it up and drive the shaky thing.

Rubix,

Your last post is contradictory - You infer that "bitching and moaning" is beneath you, because you went after SOA on the stutter issue and succeeded, but you end the post saying that you're just going to live with the shake - WHICH REDUCES THIS WHOLE POST TO BITCHING AND MOANING - the same thing you denounced two sentences earlier:confused: .

Anyhoo. Your first post indicates that the repairs took place two weeks ago - that is hardly "too long ago" to do pursue your insurance company over inadequate repairs.

A steering wheel shake is usually quite easy to diagnose. It's almost always an imbalanced tire(s), or a wheel/tire that is bent/out of round.

infrequently it can be a very worn suspension piece, or a wheel hub.

either way, if the steering wheel is shaking, there is a cause, which any competent front end shop will find. Why would you want to live with it?

When the shop of your choice finds the cause, it will either be related to the accident, or it wont. If it is related, present your bill to the insurance company for reimbursement.

You did mention the word alignement as well. Does the car pull or handle funny? If so, that can mean an additional problem as well.

Additional details about the accident and repairs would also be helpful - did you hit a curb? did the car have to go on a "frame rack" to be straightened? what suspension pieces were replaced? did a wheel/tire get replaced?

I would like to help further, but need more info.

Two weeks is certainly not too late. Don't live with the vibration, the car and you deserve better.

-Adam

PS - I deal with both warranty issues (another manufacturer) and insurance companies regularly.

Heres a little history on my car. I've been thru 5 wheels already due to potholes and found out the hard way that a warranty doesnt cover wheels and tires. So I've spent too much on that. I hit a curb in a blizzard in january. The frame was fine and didnt have to be put on a frame straightener. Heres what was replaced on 3/16/2006:

1 17" wheel

1 control arm

1 strut

4 wheel alignment

1 hub

1 stabilizer link

1 stabilizer bar

1 knuckle

1 fender liner

1 outer tie rod

1 inner tie rod

So its been over a month now. At first when I got the car back it had steering wheel shake at highway speeds (which it had prior the accident). I had them fix it a week later and now its back again. I have a gut feeling that the body shop isnt going to do anything about it now. Getting the insurance involved again could mean my rates could jump up. So it seems pretty bleek for me. Whatever I'm done. Thanks anyways.

Try rotating the tires. But the front ones in the back and see if that helps. If it does you've found your problem.

Oh and yeah accidents do void the warranty on anything that was fixed by an outside shop, even a reputable one. Its a pain in the a$$. Even some manuf. outsource their accident repair work and the warranty you get is from that company not them.

sounds like the wheels/tires aren't balanced properly, or maybe even the jersey potholes whacking out your alignment...check those two again, if it gets fixed, then you know what it is...I had the shake when I replaced my balance weights on the rim w/ the stick ons. One of them fell off the rim, and it completely messed up the balancing. Took it back to the shop where I got the weights done, and they put the weight on, made sure it was all balanced, now no problems whatso ever...time for an alignment now though. But yeah, definately get it taken care of, as it could lead to other problems, like your tires wearing out in 3k miles...you wouldn't want to spend MORE money now would you? Good luck, and take all of our advice, it'll doyou good, and the car...more importantly, the car.:icon_tong j/k

im having the same problems, after also hittimg a curb two months ago, similar things were replaced on the car, and not im getting exessice road noise, i have had the wheels and tires rebalanced 4 times, now i need an alignment check, but to be honest, im not going to Subaru for it, it was in an accident, why in the world would i expect them to fix it? OEM parts or not, they didnt do the work, therefor, they wont warrant it.

Go back to the shop that fixed your car to begin with, thats kinda the reason you let the insuracne company pick the shop...so if theres anything wrong, insurace company can also be held somewhat liable...

Current:MY05 SWP wagon - 253/290 :rolleyes: UP, AEM CAI, Invidia Q300, tuned@yimisport

OLD: MY06 GRP - 274/314 :cool:

I've been in the same type of an accident -- hit a curb with the right front wheel. Almost exactly the same parts were replaced, with the addition of the front subframe. I don't have any steering wheel shaking, but the steering feels just damn too light, which is occasionally driving me nuts (the feeling of a floating front end and overboosted power steering). I went back to the body shop (a reputable one) that did the repair and surprise! ... they said everything is fine. I've also done a couple of alighments to no avail. My last hope is that Cusco front underbrace and JDM Spec B struts will improve the steering feel. Otherwise, with this floating feel the car is worth nothing as a sport sedan regardless of the mega Stage 2 horsepower.

I've been in the same type of an accident -- hit a curb with the right front wheel. Almost exactly the same parts were replaced, with the addition of the front subframe. I don't have any steering wheel shaking, but the steering feels just damn too light, which is occasionally driving me nuts (the feeling of a floating front end and overboosted power steering). I went back to the body shop (a reputable one) that did the repair and surprise! ... they said everything is fine. I've also done a couple of alighments to no avail. My last hope is that Cusco front underbrace and JDM Spec B struts will improve the steering feel. Otherwise, with this floating feel the car is worth nothing as a sport sedan regardless of the mega Stage 2 horsepower.

Did they replace the rack? I believe that 2.5i and 2.5GT racks are different. They could have installed the wrong one.

-- Steve

Did they replace the rack? I believe that 2.5i and 2.5GT racks are different. They could have installed the wrong one.

-- Steve

The steering rack has not been replaced as they said that there was no damage to the steering system. A stealership's inspection of the car resulted in the same conclusion.

The steering rack has not been replaced as they said that there was no damage to the steering system. A stealership's inspection of the car resulted in the same conclusion.

It was worth a shot. I double checked, and Subaru says the 2.5i is 3.2 turns lock-to-lock, and the GT is 2.8. I have never driven a 2.5i, but I would assumed they are tuned for a little different response, too.

-- Steve

engine stutter in a 5EAT? iirc, nobody else has experienced such problem..

It's the same for the 5EAT as for the 5MT. Maybe not quite as noticeable.

Do a search.

HV

This car was crap WAY before the accident. Oh and unlike many people on this board pissing and moaning about the engine stutter I actually went out and did something about it and got paid. As far as sidewall height the 215/45/17 suck for where I drive (Kearny, Belleville, Jersey City, etc.) so a larger profile tire would definitely help me out. I frankly dont care about tire choice. My insurance isnt going to help me out here its way too after the fact now. Whatever I'll suck it up and drive the shaky thing.

If I drive those those areas everyday I certainly would not get a LGT. I wouldn't even drive my LGT unless I have to and only did one time, way too many potholes and a-holes in those areas.. Luckily I don't work there anymore. I use to work next to Jersey City State college and we had an underground parking garage and then you had to worry about other co-workers not hitting into your car.

I don't see why the repairs aren't warrantied more than 4 months? What kind of BS is that? I used a shitty body shop they did nice cars but don't seem to put the same effort for collision damages so they suck but the insurance said the repairs are guaranteed for more than 5 years, I don't want to say life of the car but I am sure it is and that's how it should be!

The car should be fixed as new or whatever working condition it was before. If it wasn't your fault in teh accident did you try to claim for loss in value, i forgot the term but only applies if you're not at fault.

Don't go to crappy, cheap a$$ body shops. Any good, reputable shop will warranty their work. Potholes and low profile tires don't go well together. Be an informed buyer. There are many cars with low profile tires and they will have the same issues...it is the buyer's fault for not knowing what they are buying.
It is still ugly.

Heres a little history on my car. I've been thru 5 wheels already due to potholes and found out the hard way that a warranty doesnt cover wheels and tires. So I've spent too much on that. I hit a curb in a blizzard in january. The frame was fine and didnt have to be put on a frame straightener. Heres what was replaced on 3/16/2006:

1 17" wheel

1 control arm

1 strut

4 wheel alignment

1 hub

1 stabilizer link

1 stabilizer bar

1 knuckle

1 fender liner

1 outer tie rod

1 inner tie rod

So its been over a month now. At first when I got the car back it had steering wheel shake at highway speeds (which it had prior the accident). I had them fix it a week later and now its back again. I have a gut feeling that the body shop isnt going to do anything about it now. Getting the insurance involved again could mean my rates could jump up. So it seems pretty bleek for me. Whatever I'm done. Thanks anyways.

Ok, breathe. I know it's NJ and they train us to dread insurance, but they can't jack your rates if they didn't already as it isn't a new claim. You are just dealing with the existing claim and are dissatisfied with the existing work. I.e. you pay the insurance company to fix it, they pay the shop to fix it, and it isn't fixed.

Second, in NJ parts have to be warranteed for 90 days, so taking care of it now means you are at least not going to eat it on any already installed parts.

Depending on the severity, you do have a leg to stand on as it may be unsafe.

Archived