LegacyGT.com

Is Added Security worth it?

Is this up to 95K miles or 60K miles? I'd say it is worth it if it is up to 95K. 60K probably not.

I sell warranties at my dealership. At times what I recommend for cars completely out of warranty is if people are inclined to deny extended warranty coverage to do this.

My warranties are proratable and can be sold back at any time. Purchase the warranty and take it through a change of seasons. That is if it is summer time you know how the car acts at 90+ degree weather, wait till winter time and see how the car acts at 20 or below degree weather. If all is fine, sell the warranty and then get most of your money back. It is like someone said peace of mind and you'd only lose a couple hundred.

i would say no because the dealers suck and try to always tell you something like 'your car is fine, etc'; waste of my time and money

+4,000

(But I'm a sucker and purchased the extended warranty when I bought my LGT)

The bottom line is that these warranties wouldn't be sold if they were such a good deal for the buyer. The Companyies that sell them make money off of them. Obviously, I opted not to buy the extended warranty on my LGT, since I've owned Subbies for some time and have found them to be very reliable.

If you plan to keep the car for more than two-three years, it's probably worth it.

Something will break... A/C condenser ($650), wheel bearing, turbo... the warranty will pay for itself.

I bought the extended warranty with my LGT--it was the Subaru extended one, and not an aftermarket. It is already paying for itself. Tires are not covered under the standard warranty, but for some reason the extended warranty adds tire coverage. I have already had 2 tires replaced (you can only have 4 replaced under the warranty). And that has saved me $400. And I am only into my 16th month with the car.

I know, I know, the tires suck. But at least they're free!

I bought the extended warranty with my LGT--it was the Subaru extended one, and not an aftermarket. It is already paying for itself. Tires are not covered under the standard warranty, but for some reason the extended warranty adds tire coverage. I have already had 2 tires replaced (you can only have 4 replaced under the warranty). And that has saved me $400. And I am only into my 16th month with the car.

I know, I know, the tires suck. But at least they're free!

Not free, you paid for it, but at least you are getting some of your money back. :)

I don't want them on my car, though. Huge difference in ride, traction and handling with better tires.

"You poke it, You own it" - Man law supporter

I just purchased an 05 Legacy GT with 35k miles on it. I'm debating whether to shell out $650 bucks to extend the warranty to 4 yrs/60k miles. Is it worth the money?

Do u know the previous owner of this car? Was it modded? If so, was it driven and maintained properly? Also, how quickly do you expect to hit the 60k mark? Do you know of any current problems now that needs to be addressed soon?

Personally I would say its NOT worth it, since there's a good chance that this car was driven alot on highway, which explains the above-avg. mileage. Also, Subes are quite reliable which means you probably wouldn't have much issues in the short-term. If you can stretch this into a 100k mile warranty then perhaps its worth considering.

Lastly, like others said, making a claim on a warranty in many instances become a royal pita, esp. an after-mkt one. They might promise you the world now but when it comes time for it to deliver its always a different story. Like insurance policies. :p

What about aftermarket warranties like Warranty Gold?

avoid them like the plague, they will fight you tooth and nail on anything that might make it worth while.

Your transmission needs to be rebuilt? Hmm, youo had an oil change 200 miles after the service interval, obviously it's owner negligence that caused your tranny to fail.

Not worth the paper they are printed on.

Do u know the previous owner of this car? Was it modded? If so, was it driven and maintained properly? Also, how quickly do you expect to hit the 60k mark? Do you know of any current problems now that needs to be addressed soon?

Personally I would say its NOT worth it, since there's a good chance that this car was driven alot on highway, which explains the above-avg. mileage. Also, Subes are quite reliable which means you probably wouldn't have much issues in the short-term. If you can stretch this into a 100k mile warranty then perhaps its worth considering.

Lastly, like others said, making a claim on a warranty in many instances become a royal pita, esp. an after-mkt one. They might promise you the world now but when it comes time for it to deliver its always a different story. Like insurance policies. :p

Not sure about the previous owner, but I agree with what you're saying. It'll take me at least a couple years before I surpass the 60k mark. And 650 bucks for 25k extra miles on the warranty probably isn't worth it. I'd rather not pay the 1400-1500 bucks for the 100k warranty either, I'd rather risk it (based on Subaru's well-known reliability). So I think I'll pass on the extended warranty :icon_twis

do you know that the prices are negotiable? a few yrs ago i found a very good deal from some out-of-state dealer, i think it was almost $500 cheaper than listed. i showed the site to local subaru sales manager and she matched it.

This Space For Rent

I got a 6/yr 100,000 mile warranty for my 06 2.5i since I plan on keeping it for 10 yrs and got 300 off just by hagling for 2 minutes with the finance guy. Also if I dont use it at all I get 100% of my money back that I paid for the warranty. (Just in case in a few years I decide to trade it in for one of those gts)

I trust the subaru brand so I didn't get it. But it is a small gamble, but I consider it a very small gamble.

The Subaru Extended Care Warranty has saved me a lot. At roughly 38,000 miles my car was in and out with engine misfire issues in which all of the stuff replaced,(ignition coils, injectors, ECM, and valves) would have cost me a lot. I paid 1200 bucks for the gold 5 yr 100,000 mile warranty. They let me pay it in 100 dollar installments with a credit card. I could have cancelled the program up until it was paid for and I would have been paid back a pro-rated amount. This is a Subaru program.

This program saved my ass and saved the dealership from a potentially very irate customer. Since then I have had a wheel bearing replaced also. I do a lot of miles, so if you are going to turn your car in before 36,000 miles ,I wouldn't worry about it. But it is transferrable.

My deductible is 100 dollar per incident. And yes they warranty your original tires with a road hazard type policy. I was always dead set against profitable "add on" type programs but the Subaru Extended Care program is legit.

This is not my beautiful car.

The Subaru Extended Care Warranty has saved me a lot. At roughly 38,000 miles my car was in and out with engine misfire issues in which all of the stuff replaced,(ignition coils, injectors, ECM, and valves) would have cost me a lot.

shouldn't your problems be covered under the 5yrs powertrain warranty?

Powertrain Limited Warranty

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components

Engine

Engine block and all internal parts

Cylinder heads and valve trains

Oil pump, oil pan

Timing belts or gears and cover

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake and exhaust manifolds

Oil seals and gaskets

This Space For Rent

shouldn't your problems be covered under the 5yrs powertrain warranty?

Powertrain Limited Warranty

POWERTRAIN COVERAGE for all models is 5 years or 60,000 miles, whichever comes first. Subject to the exclusions listed in this warranty, it covers the major powertrain components listed below.

Powertrain Coverage Components

Engine

Engine block and all internal parts

Cylinder heads and valve trains

Oil pump, oil pan

Timing belts or gears and cover

Water pump

Flywheel

Intake and exhaust manifolds

Oil seals and gaskets

The answer was no. all of that stuff for the misfire was under ignition if I'm not mistaken. The wheel bearing wasn't under powertrain either.

This is not my beautiful car.

Archived