LegacyGT.com

Engine Failures

RichardM

Hi, I live in Sevenoaks, England and am now on my third model GT-B. In fact the first was a single turbo UK spec legacy estate which made about 195bhp. The latest is a 280bhp 2002 GT-B. The problem is this; I use these cars as a Pace Car in the UK Motorcycle Endurance Championship and each one has suffered engine failure on the track. The last failure was on this Easter Monday. Each time it has been big end failure. I am at a loss to know why this is occuring since the car goes out onto the track slowly, slows the bikes down during the racing incident and then speeds up and does maybe one or two quick laps only. Help!!! this is seriously expensive

I realise it is an oiling problem but this has happened to 3 separate cars, all stock models. Surely these engines are built for performance? Is there any reason why all three should have failed on the track, they have all been driven just as hard on the roads at times.

I doubt these street engines have a windage tray in the oil pan to keep the oil pick-up surrounded by oil. Does the track have any long, moderately fast sweepers that would keep the oil to one side of the pan for any length of time?
It is still ugly.

what are the mileage on the cars, any data logging? how do the spark plugs look? what part of the motor is actually blowing up? leaky head gasket? Oil in the coolant? cracked block? oil starvation? lean conditions because the injectors are clogged? blown piston ring?? If it happen to 3 cars, were each failing at the same broken part?? or different parts?

We would like to see more of the actual damage to figure out what the problem is... this is just a stab in the dark.

Keefe

Thanks for replies so far, I will try to provide more details. These 3 engine failures have occured in a 1995 model, a 1998 model and a 2002 model. Each failure has been as a result of overheated big end shells picking up. Each failure has been on a different but typical UK race track, Brands Hatch, Snetterton and Pembrey. All have fairly tight bends and relatively short straights with top speeds reaching no more than 120 mph. Apart from the big-end failure no other faults have been found. Oil levels have been OK and are always checked before each race meeting, plugs are fine. Each engine has had about 30,000 to 40,000 miles at time of failure.

Archived