LegacyGT.com

My friend is trying to talk me out of the Subaru LGT

As I mentioned, the car is here at the dealership. I am waiting for my financial transactions to go thru and should be able to pick it up soon. Going out of town the next 3 weeks so I don't really need the car, but I am sure the dealer would like to get the thing done. Friend of mine said Subaru isn't really a $30,000 car. He told me about a 01 S4 with 20,000miles for abot $8,000 less. A GS300 with 36000miles for about the same. My depostion is $1,000 and I am probably going forward with the deal unless something goes wrong. Dunno, may be a bit of a cold feet. My other two choices were the TL and TSX although the Mazda's are really good deals now. 0% financing, slightly above invoice etc. I am in Canada BTW.

I suggest that you seriously consider the reliability of an Audi before you even THINK of buying one. An AUDI A4 4cyl is rated -30% for reliability by consumer reports and the V6 is rated even worse. As far as the GS300 it is obviously a nice car with very good resale value, but it is not really in the same class as the Subaru. The Lexus is more upscale in ride and overall build quality but the Subaru has more power, better handling, and not to mention that the Lexus has 36000 miles?????? Parousia

First off if your paying 30k find another dealer, you shouldn't be paying over 27k. Second, that audi probably isnt to reliable at that price. and as for the lexus, it just won't have the performance the LGT has. trust me the lgt is better then those cars.

I am not paying $30K, I am in Canada and a similar TL is about $1000 more than the LGT. The TSX is about $7000 less than the TL. All value in Cdn$ of course. Subaru Canada must have jacked the prices, or the dealers have a lot of margin. I don't really want to think about the 2-3 year old Audi and Lexus GS. Those are expensive cars new, and now they are expensive used. I am hoping I will get the financing done for the LGT in 2-3 weeks. I will be in Houston for 3 weeks in Sept, and 3 more in Houston. Damn, no time to break it in b4 winter.

time to get a new friend man 250 hp and 250 lb-ft tq 2.5L with turbo AWD with a PERFECT interior uhh...sounds like a deal for 30k take him for a spin with the Legacy and he will change his mind...if it doesnt...HES LYING.

used car means...you don't know how abused it is....the s4 has probably been run pretty hard...that's what they're meant for.... lexus...well that's a whole different crowd....more looks and plushness.... personally...i faced the same situation as you....used or new....i bought my lgt wagon and have never looked back.....a reliable car and i know its history...

If you're going to be leaving town for a while and don't really need the car yet, I would hold off. If you're not entirely sure of what you want to do, don't go through with it, and definitely not for the dealer's sake. Take some extra time thinking about which car you want to get, and if you decide to get the Legacy, sounds like you should definitely be able to get a better price. We've got some good threads here aobut the price other people are getting, should be helpful in negotiating. Good luck!

LOL @ Boxer, very good LOL Look u have to make the decision. As I have said before, ppl if you wait for all the right options to come on board etc etc u will be waiting forever. Granted the S4 is a fantastic car and certainly a great upgrade for similar money but how do u know @ 20,000 Miles your not buying someone else's problems. Enjoy the GT, and you just watch yr mate come around to yr way of thinking. Trust me...... Adam.

In Canada, the base Legacy is a $30,000 car. I seriously thought of buying an S4 for myself last year. I opted instead for a 98 E36 M3 4 door. My Wife has an 05 GT Ltd wagon. I would say the Sube is the more powerfull car, handles great, but is missing that tiny bit of feel that the BMW has. The Audi supposedly does not have this feel either. It is a bit more rubbery. The main thing to consider when buying an S4 is that you are exposing yourself to potentially huge maintenance costs. It is a very complex car, with extremely hard to access components. I also have a VW Corrado and if it is any indication of VW/Audi quality, the electrical is terrible compared to a Sube or my BMW. I just cannot bring myself to trust a turbo/AWD german car in terms of reliability. OTOH if you are after a European feeling cabin, the Sube wil not inpart that same sense of solidness. The turn signal stalk says it all. The Sube feels light, which is great for handling and is an engineering accompishment, but it does not have the solid heft of a Euro car.

I just bought a 2005 Legacy GT Ltd Sedan 5EAT to replace an 2002 Audi A4 V6 6MT w/performance package. The LGT is faster and handles better than the Audi, but it's the reliability that's the killer! My Audi has been in the shop more than 20 times for non-routine maintenance. If the Audi isn't under a warranty, prepare to spend thousands of dollars in mantenance. Regards, Dan.

If you buy a used Audi, make sure it is still under warranty, and have the dealer do a complete check of the car around 5k miles before the warranty expires. Scheduled maintenance at the dealer for an S4 can be around $500 to $1,000 every 20K miles (if you use Audi). And remember - used cars become used cars for a reason. Most ppl do not get rid of cars they like.

Yup. I considered a used S4 before. However after confering with some Audi owners, it was quite unanimously agreed that used Audi without extended warranty is like playing russian roulette with 5 bullets in the chamber. ;) You have to ask yourself what is more important - total driving experience or the badge. If it is the latter, there's always a 320i for similar price as the GT. Yes brand new!

[quote name='bigbadboss101']As I mentioned, the car is here at the dealership. I am waiting for my financial transactions to go thru and should be able to pick it up soon. Going out of town the next 3 weeks so I don't really need the car, but I am sure the dealer would like to get the thing done. Friend of mine said Subaru isn't really a $30,000 car. He told me about a 01 S4 with 20,000miles for abot $8,000 less. A GS300 with 36000miles for about the same. My depostion is $1,000 and I am probably going forward with the deal unless something goes wrong. Dunno, may be a bit of a cold feet. My other two choices were the TL and TSX although the Mazda's are really good deals now. 0% financing, slightly above invoice etc. I am in Canada BTW.[/quote] My friends were doing the same thing - whatever. They're just jeolous because they don't have the cash or the balls to go out and buy their own car, so they try to live their dream car dream out through someone else. Get what YOU want, and let your friends pleasure themselves at thoughts of other cars that they'll never own. - Mike

[quote name='godwhomismike']My friends were doing the same thing - whatever. They're just jeolous because they don't have the cash or the balls to go out and buy their own car, so they try to live their dream car dream out through someone else. Get what YOU want, and let your friends pleasure themselves at thoughts of other cars that they'll never own. - Mike[/quote] You're probably not too far off there mike. People I know tried it for a very short bit but know I really like my Subaru's when they figured out their comparos didn't mean squat. Go with your gut instinct, if you're having second thoughts, wait, if it's what you really wanted, go for it. I wouldn't have any less respect for you if you wanted something else. Personal taste, but pick yours, not someone elses. :cool:

I get a lot of my friends who do not get Subaru at all... but even driving my car now the 2003 Impreza 2.5 wagon 2 of them wanted to but it when the lease ruuns out next year! As it is 1 of them is now going to take ever the lease so i can get the new LTD GT 5EAT :) When my wife's Dad drove my car now before I leased it, he (a japanese car freak, as most Chinese are) said that it seemed OK but he didn't like the feel of the transmission, and he thought it was to loud, the typical Toyota buyer. Everyone who I have lent my car to loves it and now when the new car comes in, I am sure the accolades will increase! Parousia

Archived