LegacyGT.com

Brake Ducts Anyone?

KartRacerBoy

Consider this. I spent the better part of the 90' and early 2000's walking thru ALMS/IMSA pits and paddocks learning about how the pro's go faster. On almost EVERY car they have extensive fabrication done to direct air to the center of the veins/rotors. I used this info when I built my Porsche racecar. All my track cars have had brake ducts. Never tracked a car without them until i bought my STI.

I noticed in Japan NO ONE produced a kit. Instead the JDM market does just that...markets the helll out of all the JDM brand BBK's and of course some of us go ape poop over that. I dont. I dont because on the Japanese cars that do run at the Nurb and Lemans..Inever see those brands being used !! Its always the brands we come to expect. Anyway, I say that to say..it doesnt surprise me that no one had done a Kool Brake Kit before.

When I started the developement of the Kool Brake Kit I hand formed a duct that is almost identical to the carbon one above. JUST THE DUCTS with no hose to direct the air dropped STOCK rotor temp by 150 degrees. 1200 to 1050. We then used 3inch hose and ran it to the front fog openings which have PLENTY of nasty interupted area's and THAT dropped it another 75 degrees. This 200-225 difference was consistent when we tested Pagid Yellows, PFC 01, XP10's, Ferodo DS3000's. We used heat guns, rotor paint, etc. The differences were closer to 200 flat with 2 piece rotors. I think the carbon ducts( cleaner inside) are a hair better when we tested at Road Atlanta with a clients car. Coming into turn 10 we saw 1400 once without and 1175 with ducts and hose.

3inch is the minimum period. 2.5 is too small. You need to go xxmph faster to = the same flow in a 6ft hose. Dont get me wrong..2.5 is better than nothing. But dont half step...Somewhere on the internet there are some Prodrive notes on the area's under and infront of the Impreza in regards to low and high pressure zones. This is valuable for hose placement. ANyway thats my .02 cents worth.

Myles

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks a ton Myles...great info. Yes, I'm really convinced that if seriously want to cool your brakes, ducts are the way to go. Very good points about low and high pressure spots...I'm sure could seriously affect flow.

That's a lot of 2 cents.:lol: Thanks. Aside, what were you doing in the ALMS pits? racer's son, spectator, gopher, mechanic?

In the late 80's I literally stumbled upon Summit Point where they had IMSA races( 60miles from my house). Then we started driving to Mid Ohio to see the races. In the 90's same thing dreaming about doing it some day and one sunday while autocrossing ( after breaking up with a girl who said,.....and I quote." I hate racing, its for idiots.." ) A guy turned me on to HPDE events at Summit. 5 years later I was asked to be an instructor for the event and teach anti terrorist tactical driving to govt personel. That led to club racing. Then NAsa and SCCA and then a few podiums in the Imsa Panoz series. Going to the big races keeps any club racer motivated and the dream alive no matter how old, fat, or broke you are. So its healthy. But we used to go to the track with an agenda. We would say .."ok today we will learn 3 key things from being here all day". Brake ducts were one of the first.

Thats the short version ! lol.

Myles

It's refreshing to see some like-minded Subaru folks here. Cause if I hear one more post about Tints (What the hell are tints? are they like deers?) I'm gonna puke.

I think I've got a decent plan for making some homemade ducts til there are some official ones out and going to start looking for front Brembos.

Now it's a race between my laziness and when Myles can come out with the ducts :)

I'll be up at Pocono next weekend so we'll see how my car does with all 4 cylinders instead of 3 and all the suspension bushings in place! Haaaa

-mike

• 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived