LegacyGT.com

Scratch #1, I'm Gonna Cry

A little background...

A few years ago, my wife and I bought her a 2002 Maxima GLE - very nice car.

After about a week, we had a door ding from a parking lot incident! Withing a month, it had been keyed, and within 3 months, a few more door dings had been added.

Now, about a month ago, I bought a LGT for me. I have been very careful about where I am parking and follow a safe distance behind other cars to avoid any rock damage. From my previous car, you can understand my caution!

Well, today, my little girl, bless her, riding her bike, decideds to oops into the front passenger quarter panel (if that's what they're called these days). Needless to say, F)#&! The scratch is about a foot long and can definitely be felt with my finger nail.

Any suggestions how/if I can get it fixed?

DSC02408.thumb.jpg.77b901a95996ca94e4cffe19c31d85e8.jpg

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

It could be touched up depending on how patient you are. Here is something that Dwayne has on his site that might help. Langka can make the job a lot easier, but there is a learning curve involved and the job will probably not be totally invisible. The only way to get it totally gone is to have it airbrushed. You are looking at probably between one and two hundred bucks for that.

Your first project should be to get some Meguiar's ScratchX and give that a shot. I know you said you could feel it with your fingernail, but there is a possibility it can be made a little less noticable with some polishing. Apply the product to the corner of a folded shop towel and rub it in the direction of the scratch. See if that helps any. If so, then dandy. It will probably still need to be painted, but at least you'll know it isn't something you could have fixed otherwise.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Thank you for you advice OC. I may try the scratch x, I may just take it to a body shop and ask them what they think, I may just leave it there. Maybe I could get one of those cool Cobb stickers to put over it :)
My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

• 3 weeks later...

anyone use the langka stuff?

I'm looking for a cheaper alternative.

I have an estimate for 450 bucks but the worst part is I'll have to leave my care there for 3 or 4 days. I'd probably rather take my trunk lid off and leave that with them but either way I wouldn't be driving the car.

So I'm not really upset about the money although I can tell you one thing I'd rather spend my 500 bucks on (645 plus shipping)

Again...if anyone has any suggestions or reviews on teh langka stuff I would appreciate it.

Medium scratches all over the rear trunk. (got keyed from some idiots)

Can hardly see it unless you are looking but the car was PERFECT and I'd like to keep it that way sicne I'll have it for a long long time.

PLEASE HELP

Like I've said before, there is a bit of a learning curve with the Langka, but the results are worth it. Try it out on the side of your washing machine or something to get the hang of it. Once you know how to use it I think it is a great product.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I second trying Langka. It's an inexpensive alternative. The results may vary but if the nice thing is that you can always remove your work using the Langka itself. Give it a try before going the professional route.

Ken

Archived