LegacyGT.com

Does Your A/C Compressor Turn On and Off?

It's just now starting to get warm - and am using the A/C for the 1st time on my 2006.

Well, my impressions: It's COLD - but only when the compressor runs - which is for like 5 seconds at a time, then shuts off - which then I can feel just "cool" air blowing, and then 5 seconds later it's back to super cold....

Is that normal? If so, can anything be done to keep it cold - like cold as you can get it? I'd like there to be icicles isicles isickles icesickles - ice crystals hanging off my nose hairs..

Any advice?

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

Guest *Jedimaster*
HOGMEAT WhereTF have you been?

oh and that's normal.

Yup, Subaru couldn't figure out how to make the ******* thing blow cold air all the time- WTF is up with that?

Hmm. Mine doesn't cycle on/off every 5 seconds as you describe. I did notice that one (and only one) of the six or so LGTs that I test drove did behave like that, and made absolutely certain that the one I purchased did not hot/cold cycle.

If you aren't sure, stop by a dealership and take a few test drives. If the models you drive don't act identically, then schedule a service for yours and don't take 'normal behavior' for an answer.

hm, never had this problem in my lgt 06. The problem that I have is once I set all the settings I want and turn it off, once you turn it back on, all the settings get reset. Does it save the settings on your cars, guys ( I mean like temperature, AC/no AC, where to blow from etc)?

Well, it does the cycle at idle and well as crusie. So it's not disengaging due to throttle.

And once again, it's not "hot" air - it's just not "chilled" air.

And yes, it's in full manual mode. I've manually adjusted both temps, and fan speed. This puts it in manual, right?

So any other feedback from 06 owners?

If ya'll keep saying yours blow chilled air all the time, i'll have it serviced...

The climate in these is a bit ordinary; same with mine - if it only needs to lower the cabin temp slightly it cycles rather annoyingly between tepid air and freshly-cool. Setting it manually can help - when its in this mood I find I have to set the temp colder than I really want and lower the fan speed as well as direct vents away from me or use the foot/screen mode.

Anyone has this problem? :

The problem that I have is once I set all the settings I want and turn it off, once you turn it back on, all the settings get reset. Does it save the settings on your cars, guys ( I mean like temperature, AC/no AC, where to blow from etc)?

Hey Hogmeat-

I paid attention to my A/C on the way home from work today ('05 GT auto, 13 months old with less than 1,000 miles-sat on dealer's lot for 11 months). While stopped or cruising 30 to 40 MPH, with both temp controls set at 65, and the system in "semi-automatic" (the damn thing wanted to recirculate on "auto", and it gets smelling stale), the air temp coming out the vents would "cycle". Blow really cold, then warm slightly (like the compressor was cycling off), then go cold again. One complete cycle (cold/less cold) lasted from 18 to 20 seconds pretty consistently. Now it gets more interesting...when I got home I opened the hood to listen to the compressor cycle on and off, and one complete cycle (total time on/total time off) was exactly double (36 to 40 seconds) what I was feeling inside the car. I am stumped as I expected the compressor cycles to match eactly to what I was feeling from the vents. :confused: Anyone else?

Mark

It is still ugly.

HOLD UP!! someone said if you put the pedal to the rubber plastic metal then your A/C compressor will shut off?? Is this true?? I have never heard of that before so I am fairly impressed if it does do that. Now I can quit just turning it off when I know I am going to get on it.

Yeah, I believe most cars (just not performance models) will shut off the A/C compressor during wide-open-throttle (WOT). It is to give you all available eninge power in case of an emergency (such as an out-of-control 18 wheeler headed your way).
It is still ugly.

Yup, Subaru couldn't figure out how to make the ******* thing blow cold air all the time- WTF is up with that?

Jedi, I REALLY want to see the rest of that avatar pic. :)

My other car is a 1993 Chevy S-10 Tahoe! (Currently being driven to failure by my nephew)

i know exactly what you're complaining about.. i took my car into Service for that as well, they said it's normal to keep the evaporator from freezing.. i guess it's the expansion valve doing it's job.. it's blows super cold, and for a few seconds it blows a little bit warmer.. still pretty cold.. just could be colder..

R134a is the standard frig in most ACs' and yes if you floor it, you disengage the AC. That is in any car these days. Keep cool. Raining out here and 60 something so the only time my AC was running was with the defrost. That is normal too by the way.

For your car audio/video needs:D

Audio Crafters IS it.

In Pasadena Ca. Arthur rules.

www.audio-crafters.com

i know exactly what you're complaining about.. i took my car into Service for that as well, they said it's normal to keep the evaporator from freezing.. i guess it's the expansion valve doing it's job.. it's blows super cold, and for a few seconds it blows a little bit warmer.. still pretty cold.. just could be colder..

Yeah, that's what I was thinking would be the case. Makes sense.

It is still ugly.

Get this! I went to the dealership today and asked them about this issue. It was 97 degrees today is humid Louisiana and my A/C would not blow cool for anything. This is not an option and I will end up ultimately replacing this car if this is constant. So anyways, the salesman tells me that it's perfectly normal for the A/C to switch on and off. Something about how people up north really don't need A/C so it's kinda like a energy saving feature? Beats the heck out of me. I just know that I'm going to need some cool air this summer! Help!

Archived