LegacyGT.com

Changed the oil today

i went to the dealer to change my oil today for the first time (after this one i will probably do it), i switched over to synthetic oil, Mobil 1. OMG !!! THAT STUFF IS THE S**T !!!! :icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis:icon_twis. My engine revs smoother, shifts are smoother, i can engage the clutch nearly out of idle now, OMG I LOVE THIS STUFF. And the best part is ... IM OUT OF BREAK-IN, TIME TO LET THE ENGINE BREATH. (the oil is 5-30 btw).
I love my car ... basically.

15,000 miles too late to change or should I just shut up and do it?

I would call your subie dealer frist and ask to speak to the mecanic about it. I would say go for it, but im not a mecanic. You will enjoy the benefits of synth.

As I understand it, 15k mi or the next change after your 15k change is the time to switch to synthetic. I've been warned by several subaru mechanics not to switch to synthetic early. It seems very late to me (I did it at 7500 mi on my A4), but I don't think it hurts to wait.

just do it. i switched to synthetic on my honduh at 90K or some crap and no magical leakering :iam:

Old synthetic formulations did cause gaskets to change shape and this caused leaks. The new synthetic formulations are far superior in this regard, particularly the "high mileage" formulations, so noone should really worry about switching to synthetic at high mileage anymore - just do it. There will be a noticable improvement!

The bad thing about switching too early is that you may not get enough wear in your motor during the initial breakin. Some cars with very tight manufacturing tolerances come with synthetic from the factory, but otherwise you need to have some initial wear-in of the engine. It's designed to be the final part of the engine machining process.

The bad thing about switching too early is that you may not get enough wear in your motor during the initial breakin. Some cars with very tight manufacturing tolerances come with synthetic from the factory, but otherwise you need to have some initial wear-in of the engine. It's designed to be the final part of the engine machining process.

+1

I've had personal experience with this. My past two cars were brand new and I dropped Mobil 1 in them right after break in and had some issues with burning .5-.75 quarts between changes.

Easily solved by running some dino oil through two changes and switching back to Mobil. I burn 0-.5 quarts depending on how hard I drive the car. Mobil 1 FTW :icon_bigg

I switch my prelude back and forth at will.

Synthetic is NOT good for BREAK-IN's, but after about 3-5k you should have no worries about switching at all.

You can switch now or wait until you are at 185k to switch over, either way, you will be fine.

You should take into consideration that most posts are just speculations as to why or why not switching to synthetic is good or bad. You will hear many different stories, so in the end just do what you feel comfortable with.

My speculation is this: I switched to synthetic at 500 miles and at 36,000 miles I don't have any oil consumption issues. The reason I feel that switching to synthetic early is not a bad idea is because I feel the oil will work best under the same conditions the oil provides while the engine is breaking in. This is the same reason I attribute to cases of high synthetic consumption in engines that switched real late in their life, like 70k miles. The engine rings have seated in such a way that they are accustomed to dino oil, and once you introduce synthetic oil, it may start to consume more.

My personal opinion is switching over at 15k won't cause any problems. If your oil consumption changes and you don't like it, just switch back to dino. Synthetic does has the advantage of having a higher breakdown temperature, which is good for turbocharged cars.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

Yes i have noticed that the engine now runs cooler than it did before. Just poping the hood i could tell that it runs hotter than any engine i have seen, i guess it might be because of the turbo. (this also may explain why we get hot air out of the vents when the car has only been on for a min). Either way, you want to make the switch, your car will run sooo much better, i was coming home from the movies tonight and had some fun spirited driving on the way, the roads are not always free or other cars haha. My engine much more free now that is it running on Mobil 1. It honestly amazing, it feels like i have a different car. I think i gained a solid 10 hp atleast. they had some really crappy oil in it or something. I bought the car off the lot (got a great deal) after they had had it for a year, and i dont think they changed the oil out in it. My car had 1050 miles when i changed over today.

+1

I've had personal experience with this. My past two cars were brand new and I dropped Mobil 1 in them right after break in and had some issues with burning .5-.75 quarts between changes.

Easily solved by running some dino oil through two changes and switching back to Mobil. I burn 0-.5 quarts depending on how hard I drive the car. Mobil 1 FTW :icon_bigg

burning more than a quart every 1000 is issues on a N/A application that doesn't send oil to a separate system. high hp motors have pistons that are looser in the hole, plus for u turbo guys doesnt the oil go to your turbo bearings? you know thats gotta eat oil. also, doesnt sythetic oil work better in hot conditions than conventional oils? turbo bearing become really hot no? the oil is sent from the motors oiling system mainly to displace the heat right? or else it would have its own oiling system?

Alot of cars come from the factory with synthetic oil, ie Corvette, 911, Lancer, and others, I think its just a bunch of bull that cars that run syn from the start dont break in right. Just my take on it all:lol:

Yeah my SS came with Mobil 1 right from the factory. I switched in the LGT at 5K. I was running 0/40 but the motor seem like it was gettin a lil valvetrain noisy. I just put in 15/50 for the summer (Mobile 1). No change, boxer motor get a bit noisy I guess. I let my local dealer have a listen for peace of mind he said it sounded fine.

Look it up when you're standing in the aisle of your friendly neighborhood oil & filter retailer. I'm using a Mobil 1 M1-110 filter on my 05 LGT.

Does the 05 Legacy GT (Turbo) use the same filter as 04 XT turbo ?? Think the last four #s are A100 OR A080 ?? Would appreciate some straight word..

Tks Deadeye:confused:

Archived