LegacyGT.com

Charged with reckless driving

wimwam

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pay the $$$ for a lawyer it will be cheaper than the consequences of this incident w/o a lawyer.

well, which is cheaper? hiring a lawyer, paying fines and fees or paying x amount of car insurance for y amount of years?

Keefe

my buddy got pulled for 90 in a 55 merging onto 28N off 50W - he sped up to get in front of a dumptruck. He got a lawyer and got it knocked down to driving school and a few points. $1500 well spent.

first of all it is reckless and not wreckless.

second of all i live in the area and my rule of thumb is don't speed unless you know where the cops sit.

i bet i know exactly where they were sitting.

i got a ticket on the toll road on my motorcycle as a 98 in a 55 with a laser gun. highly uncontestable for error and i got off completely by paying 500 bucks for a lawyer. my lawyer was just a genious. he tried to plead with the DA but they wanted to lock me up. they said the rule of thumb is for every mile over 90 is a day in jail. they thought they had a very strong case and did not want to plea bargain. i was supposed to get sentenced for 8 days and serve 4 and had my toothbrush ready. instead i walked out without even paying court fees. since then i've learned my lesson and only speed within 10 miles of the speed limit or a little more if i really know the area.

Did they get you with a laser gun, radar gun, pacing? Did they just guess on the speed and never showed you the reading of the instrument they clocked you with? 100 seems like such a general number and can be contested. Was it really a fairfax county officer? was it a trooper? was it airport police?

PS for anyone ever traveling on the toll road, remember that the cops are out there.

That may hold true if you got a ticket in PA, DE, NY, and other states, but I think VA/MD/DC are all linked with interchangeable points system... you might have to check up on that..

As someone who moved from MD to VA with three speeding tickets on his record I can assure you the points follow you.

Brian

As someone who moved from MD to VA with three speeding tickets on his record I can assure you the points follow you.

Brian

Ah, thanks for the info. I knew there was a system for the DC/MD/VA traffic control.

Keefe

Wow traffic lawyers are expensive down south! I will be going for my traffic fines with a lawyer in August and he is only charging me $250

+1 on the lawyers if nto they will eat you alive.

X

---

Thats right i thought it was just VA, but now that I read up on it its MD, DC and VA, between that and california ricer laws there are four places i'll never move to.
If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

Get a Lawyer! I was caught doing 90 in a 65 on 66 back in December. Paid $1000 dollars for a lawyer, but it was worth it. I was facing possible jail time since I had a speeding 20 over just a year ago (that one wasn't reckless). I ended up getting off with improper driving and a 500 dollar fine because my lawyer asked the cop some questions and then the cop just left, saying he had to get paper work. I was so happy. I hope things work out for you. Deffinetly take a driver improvement class. And be prepared for the worst.

That may hold true if you got a ticket in PA, DE, NY, and other states, but I think VA/MD/DC are all linked with interchangeable points system... you might have to check up on that..

Depends on the county. I can tell you that getting tickets in certain parts of MD WILL NOT show up on a VA record. PG county is one. There are others.

yo seriously.. just get a lawyer.. i was in the car with my buddy and he got caught doin 105/65.. he got a speedin/wreckless/obstruction of view tickets.. lol it was bad.. not only did he try and run away from the cop and he got the speeding and obstruction tickets dropped.. and had to pay like a 600$ fine.. so seriouslly.. gettin a lawyer is totally worth it.. cause you can def lose your licence/get suspended for doin 40 over..

yo seriously.. just get a lawyer.. i was in the car with my buddy and he got caught doin 105/65.. he got a speedin/wreckless/obstruction of view tickets.. lol it was bad.. not only did he try and run away from the cop and he got the speeding and obstruction tickets dropped.. and had to pay like a 600$ fine.. so seriouslly.. gettin a lawyer is totally worth it.. cause you can def lose your licence/get suspended for doin 40 over..

Mang, what was he trying to run away driving? How long was the chase?

Hi Wimwam,

I got a ticket in Springfield, VA in Aug. '04 for 80/55. The VA state police gave me 25 over and reckless by speed (and this was in my '04 Legacy 35th Anniv. Ed., no mods!). Like you, it was one of those days; it was 12:45 AM, 5.5 hrs on the road from PA, held up in Harrisburg in construction traffic for an hour, tired, wrong decision to speed up just to get home...you know what I mean.

My cousin, who is a retired Fairfax County Police officer, told me to get a lawyer because judges don't respect you w/o one. He recommend a friend of his. I paid a flat fee of $1250.00, $75.00 to get my speedo certified. The lawyer knew the cop and the court attorney. He bargained $200.00, improper driving and 2 points. It was because I had no priors in PA or VA with a clean driving record.

I hope the best for you. As for the acceleration of the LGT, I can atest to that. There's been times when I'd be traveling around 70 and goosed the gas to pass someone and I was up to 90! BANG! Boy, is this car fast....scary fast.

'06 Legacy GT limited, Brillant Silver. I love this car!

• 3 months later...
Allright all everything is said and done, got 3 days in Fairfax correctional, suspended VA driving priveleges (sp?) for 6 months with possibly of restricted after 3, and a whopping fine. Just for future reference I used Bose Law Firm and they did absolutely squat for me, do not use them. They charge way to much and didn't really seem to be there for my benefit. For now I am taking the metro (blah) to a different office building and really missing driving my LGT home from work at night post rush hour with the windows down and music up. Hopefully soon I will be back in the saddle.

Archived