LegacyGT.com

02 WRX steering wheel on 05 2.5i Leggy?

Four spoke means it is chunkier, and less ergonomic. Also an older design, possibly not MOMO, and likely not a dynamic airbag (variable speed deployment) and thus probably not the same connector.)

Seriously... Find a newer WRX, STI, or Legacy GT/Outback.

I've always wanted to put a 2005 WRX STI red stitched leather wheel, and black STI logo'd airbag, along with some other red thread stitching in a black legacy interior, or with the Spec B's red seats/doors.

The '02 WRX wheel is definitely MOMO. Along with the airbag differences, the cruise control on the '02 wheel does not have the button to turn CC on and off. In '02, that button was located on the lower left dash near where the mirror stalk is on the LGT.
Founder - The Harry F. Johnson Memorial Fund

I guess whatever you prefer, and I have no idea for sure, but I doubt the airbag, or the cruise will make the swap easy, even if the mounting hardware is the same...

A three spoke wheel has more open space on the wheel to grip while turning, and since the horizontal spokes are closer to 9 and 3 o'clock, it is easier to grip the wheel at 10 and 2, lower on the sides of the wheel

A four spoke steering wheel usually has the upper two of the four closer to 10 and 2, pushing your hands either further up above them closer to 11 and 1, where your hands tend to block gauges, and are more at risk should the airbag go off in an accident.

Or the four spoke wheel puts your hands lower between the spokes on each side at 9-3, where your arms have less leverage, or with your fingers wrapped around the spokes.

My ford truck has the standard "ford" four spoke steering wheel, somewhat the same arrangement as older subarus (although I think the old subaru 4-spoke might have lower spokes) and our Miata has a very nice Nardi three spoke steering wheel similar to the new Legacy.

There is no contest for me, as to which wheel feels better for position, and is easier to manage when turning the wheel, hand to hand. I try not to steer hand over hand outside of parking spaces. hand shuffling is just as fast or faster, and your arms don't get tangled or overreach, which can slow reaction time when traveling at speed.

hmm, is the Legacy turning ratio greater than the WRX? I barely ever have to remove my hands from 9 and 3 on the wheel where the "thumb" bumps place them. Most performance driving schools teach no hand shuffling or hand over hand, crossing arms is better apparently so thats what I do in the rex.

Archived