LegacyGT.com

clunk from front on autocross course

Beanboy

Fun day at autocross school!

Instructor popped a rivet on one of the undercarriage trays when he entered a corner too hot and caught a cone, haha.

Anyway, by the end of the day I developed a "clunk" that occured once a turn, but 90% of the time only in the slalom section. Happens both going right and left. I think it happens when car is full over, although it might happen just as the car switches from loading one side to the other.

Never heard it before on the road, didn't hear it on the 35 mile drive home on highway, backroads and potholed roads... Took a quick look under the car, nothing appears to be loose, dangling or out of place, or an obvious spot where the dirt/paint was worn from contact.

Do have lower arm braces, everything else suspension-wise is stock (including tires). Will check everything when I change oil tomorrow... Wondering if either the lower arm brace or OEM x-brace has a loose bolt somewhere. Since it seemed progressive as the day went on maybe the front roll bar bushings are at fault.

Anybody else ever have this problem or have suggestions where I should look?

This is what happens when you bring a sedan or wagon to an autocross school, hehe:

http://www.stinkyteapot.com/autocross.jpg

Someone takes a picture of a sexy Wa-GONE? I don't get it....

:icon_twis

Martin Luther - "Who loves not women, wine and song remains a fool his whole life long."

EL4NFZT7

well, after about 44,000 miles, mine are looking bleh.. you can see some of the chunks of the rubber bushing missing. I'll have to take pics the next time. I might just order a set of the STi aluminum ones since I may retire the GT soon from STU.. (I'll have to read the rules to see what is allowed) and call up Energy Suspension or a local Polyurethane maker to get me new harder bushings to replace the rubber ones that I will have to heat up and press out (stupid metal collars).
Keefe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived