LegacyGT.com

Kartboy STS noises

RabidMonk

Since installing the kartboy STS, I occasionally get odd, mechanical ‘chirping’ noises from the shifter. It doesn’t happen while in gear, only while shifting in and out of gear. When it happens, the noise seems much more prevalent when shifting in/out of 4th and 5th. Sometimes I can barely hear it, and sometimes it gets quite loud.

It sounds like a resonance being transmitted by the STS shaft. If I replace the MOMO knob with the old LGT knob, the sound is reduced – but still there, which reinforces the resonance theory. I also noticed that the stock shaft has what looks to be a vibration sink above the central pin assembly.

I have checked and reinserted the snap ring a dozen times now, just in case it wasn’t completely seated. I have greased the living *&^# out of the ball and cup assembly and the center pin. While it didn’t appear that the lower arm was impacting the shift plate, I cut away the upper left section just to be sure. I have also wrapped the upper shaft in several layers of mastic tape in the hopes of absorbing some of the resonance. It didn’t seem to help. I’m beginning to wonder if the vibration is from the synchros engaging/disengaging, but I would expect the front bushing to absorb that.

Does anyone else experience this noise from the kartboy STS when shifting? If so, has anyone found a way to eliminate it? I love everything else about the kartboy.

Alternately, has anyone with the Cobb STS experienced a similar noise? I’m wondering if the extra mass in the Cobb STS would help absorb that resonance.

I've got the Kartboy STS and front bushings here, and get no abnormal noises when shifting.

I do get some additional transmission of gear noise into the cabin when the gearbox is hot and at neutral load, but that's it.

• 6 months later...

I was about to post the same question about Cobb STS. I notice the exact same issue with my Cobb STS and Cobb front bushing. In my case, not just 4th to 5th has this noise, but from 1st to 2nd as well. There is a "sssseeeesss" sound in between neutral and in gear. I can reproduce this sound when the car is in motion and keep the shifter at a position between neutral and 2nd. I have my clutch padel all the way in so this is not gear grinding sound. (I know how bad that sounds... :icon_tong )

I installed the bushing a week after the STS and I didn't pay too much attention that week so I am not sure whether this is caused by the STS or bushing. I am thinking about putting the stock bushing back to see if that would fix or reduce the problem. Are you using stock bushing?

I have search the forum and a few people pointed out the noise and NVH but so far only RabidMonk notice this weird noise. Does anyone else notice this as well?

I am changing my shifting habit to shift faster to avoid hearing this noise... I guess that's a good side effect :lol:. But sometimes it is very tiring because the MT transmission itself is very notchy and even more extra effort is needed with the STS...

I posted somewhere about a STS mod to reduce NVH.

Go to a local Car Audio shop and ask if they have a scrap piece of Dynamat (or similar selfadhering acoustic dampening material).

Wrap the shaft of the shifter from below the knob to the first pivot point.

Apply any extra more toward the base of the shaft.

Its basic acoustic principle. If you alter the mass and resonant properties, you will decrease sympathetic harmonics from being audible.

Cheap, easy, and works with most shifter and knobs.

I've got no NvH with the Kartboy billet knob.

Hope this helps

Vir Est Fatum Ut Perficio Concepta Suus Progenies. - Man is destined to fulfill the capacity of his lineage (i.e. Darwinism):rolleyes:

So this is normal STS NVH instead of synchros problem? I was worried that the STS exposes symptoms of other machnical problem (synchros or whatever). The stock transmission is quite notchy even with stock shifter that's why I am a little paranoid...

If this is normal then I'll do some deadening work as highlander suggested. Hopefully that'll fix it. Thanks!:)

If your tranny is making noise with the shifter and bushing and it did'nt before. That's a bad thing. I would say take out the hardend bushing and put stock back in. That's what I did. Now it shifts much smoother and is easier to put in gear. That hum is from the tranny being stressed(bearings and syncos) because the shifter is not properly alinged. It like in the (WRX and I think our) manual that says not to rest your hand on the shifter because it can damage the tranny. Also make sure to trim around shifter.
Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

• 5 weeks later...

GTDom,

FWIW, I read every post I could find about STS noise. I tried attaching damping material to the STS as several recommended. It provided no benefit. I also tried thread tape, bushing swaps, repacking the shifter cup with extra grease, and additional foam sound insulation. Nothing helped. I wasted weeks on that stupid buzz.

In my case, the culprit was the shift knob - not the STS. The alignment of the Subaru MOMO knob was bad. The plane of the internal threads was not aligned with the plane of the socket inside the shift knob. The bottom of the knob, where the shift boot attached, would rest against the STS shaft. On those specific shifts, the pressure I applied to the shift knob would lift it slightly from the STS shaft and allow it to make a chirping noise. If I rotated the shift knob, I could make it occur on other shifts as well.

Try removing your shift knob and see if the noise goes away. If it does, either replace the shift knob or dremmel the interior area that contacts the STS so that the two cannot touch.

If my experience doesn't help (you may have a different issue with similar symptoms), I hope you figure it out soon. That noise was annoying.

Best of luck.

My KB STS install went fine, but I definately had some "issues" after. I Dremeled away the metal surround by 1st Gear to give it some clearance and have had no problems since.

I hope you get it figured out!

• 2 weeks later...

sorry to raise a dead thread but to confirm:

I was about to post the same question about Cobb STS. I notice the exact same issue with my Cobb STS and Cobb front bushing. In my case, not just 4th to 5th has this noise, but from 1st to 2nd as well. There is a "sssseeeesss" sound in between neutral and in gear. I can reproduce this sound when the car is in motion and keep the shifter at a position between neutral and 2nd. I have my clutch padel all the way in so this is not gear grinding sound. (I know how bad that sounds... :icon_tong )
Its just a NVH problem and wont hurt the car at all correct? mine was pretty bad but then i changed the throw, seems to be better but still does it. seems to be speed dependant.

sorry to raise a dead thread but to confirm:

Its just a NVH problem and wont hurt the car at all correct? mine was pretty bad but then i changed the throw, seems to be better but still does it. seems to be speed dependant.

No, it is hurting your tranny. Your tranny shouldn't make more noise when you add a shifter. Did you trim the plate to make sure the rod is not touching? Did you install the hardend rear Bushing ? If, you added the bushing take it out and put back in the stock one and see if the sound goes away.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

no didnt installed any bushing. I'm not sure if it is comming from the tranny or not. Im going to have to take everything apart and see if it does it without the "guts" inside.

yeah the plate is trimmed.

I have the cobb sts adjustable btw not the kartboy

There is a "sssseeeesss" sound in between neutral and in gear. I can reproduce this sound when the car is in motion and keep the shifter at a position between neutral and 2nd. I have my clutch padel all the way in so this is not gear grinding sound. (I know how bad that sounds... :icon_tong )

Im having that exact problem. After i adjusted it, it seemed to go away on the drive home. But as I was a block away from my house i seemed to notice it again. wasnt as loud but it was still there.

So you said when you adjusted throws the sound got less? I would try to adjust untill the sound went away. And see if you still live like how long the throws are. I have a Kartboy and no extra noise after the install.

A quick update, I didn't do any noise deadening work on the shifter. However, to troubleshoot, I've tried to drive car with only the Cobb STS, without shift knob (I am using the stock knob, BTW), and even without shifter cover (I was shifting the shifter directly). The noise was there but not particularly louder thou. The plate is not trimmed but it is not touching either.

I've also tried changing to various different throw length and didn't help.

The noise seem to come from directly underneath the shifter. When I have time to do more diagnostic, I'll put the the stock bushing back in.

I am getting used to this noise now and am shifting faster to avoid it. But downshifting from 3rd to 2nd is still very noticeable.

• 2 weeks later...
wow was just driving on the highway and when i was going from 4th to 5th a high pitched whining noise came from outta no where. im going to have to put it back to stock and take it to the dealer if it is still there.

Archived