LegacyGT.com

Kartboy STS noises

RabidMonk

well i put my stock shifter back in and it sounds A LOT quieter. However Going from 3rd to 2nd is still noticable. Im just wondering if this was like this before or not. Gonna call Subaru tommorow and see what they say....

well i put my stock shifter back in and it sounds A LOT quieter. However Going from 3rd to 2nd is still noticable. Im just wondering if this was like this before or not. Gonna call Subaru tommorow and see what they say....

That's what I would do. Just play dumb.:icon_wink

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

When I removed my shifter and chopped it I noticed that there was a noise comming from below the shifter similar to the sound that you guys are talking about. I took the shifter back out and filled the mounting hole with grease and the sound went away.. maybe just my car though.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, I would like to know what type of grease too. Everyone seems to "reuse" the old grease. Seems ghetto to me. I would really like to know what kind of grease is good... otherwise, I might use the grease that I use for my battery posts.

BTW, did you guys compare the cobb STS ball to the stock ball. The cobb WRX STS has a smaller ball size.

I did something similar, and just packed the cup full of wheel bearing grease (its all I had laying around). Noise went away and everything felt great.

Only now, I'm starting to get a clunk on first and second when starting with the tranny under slight load (like starting at a stoplight that is on an upward hill). You can feel it hit through the shifter as well as hear it.

• 8 months later...

Did this get resolved with just grease? I did the KartBoy short shifter too about 2 weeks ago and love it, it feels like a real performance car now...

BUUTTTT, last night coming home, on moderate acceleration shifts, I get an occasional "buzz" between gears.. not a whine, not transmission noise, the shifter buzzing pretty much...

When I initially did the shifter I reused the old grease, I don't think that was enough.. I pulled it out today, cleaned all the grease off, and repacked it with a ton of white lithium grease... I think for the shifter, the thicker grease you can use the better.... it was so intermittent I'll have to see if that solved it...

Did this get resolved with just grease? I did the KartBoy short shifter too about 2 weeks ago and love it, it feels like a real performance car now...

BUUTTTT, last night coming home, on moderate acceleration shifts, I get an occasional "buzz" between gears.. not a whine, not transmission noise, the shifter buzzing pretty much...

When I initially did the shifter I reused the old grease, I don't think that was enough.. I pulled it out today, cleaned all the grease off, and repacked it with a ton of white lithium grease... I think for the shifter, the thicker grease you can use the better.... it was so intermittent I'll have to see if that solved it...

DId you install the Kartboy rear bushing? If so that maybe causing the buzz. Go back to stock and see what happens. The stock will go back in easier if you put alittle dish soap on it.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

DId you install the Kartboy rear bushing? If so that maybe causing the buzz. Go back to stock and see what happens. The stock will go back in easier if you put alittle dish soap on it.

I have just the shifter installed...

I have this same exact problem. Just have the shifter installed as well. Was fine for the first year the shifter was installed, and just over the past 3 months, the same exact sound mentioned here is heard. I too, thought it may have been the shift nob, so I drove the car without the nob attached to the gear lever, and still heard the problem. Brought the car into the dealer for them to check it out, and they thought it was a tranny problem. They basically gave me a whole new tranny under warranty, and the sound still exists. They tried to put some sound deadening material around the shifter, but the sound is still present. They assured me that the tranny was fine and everything is working correctly, so I'm living with it. Sometimes it's worse than others. Seems like the sound is dependant upon RPM's. I shift faster now in and out of 4th and 5th so I don't have to hear it. I sort of chalked it up to NVH.

I noticed this as well about a week after the cobb STS install. Only seems to make a noise when shifting between 1st and 2nd. Being paranoid about my tranny I brought this to the dealer and they said they could hear it a little as well but said everything looked normal... they kind of hinted to the fact that I had an aftermarket sts in there and i got the feeling that if something went wrong with my tranny they'd use that card to get out of replacing it under warranty. Did you get the new tranny with that sts installed or did you take it out and put the stock in before bringing it to the dealer? I still have mine so I could do that, but it's a pain in the butt if i don't have to. I've had the sts installed now for about 5 months and i can maybe say the noise has gotten a little louder. It sounds kind of like the synchros to me, but I'm no expert. My biggest concern was that I'm stressing the synchros and one day they're going to just wear out.

Archived