LegacyGT.com

Scosche FM-MOD01 Modulator

Mui01

Dudes, I just brought the Scosche FM-MOD01, from crutchfield.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-xTBJGRCyaYp/cgi-bin/ProdView.asp?i=142FMMOD01&id=morephotos&a=&s=0&cc=01&g=251550#morephotos

It’s a stereo FM modulator with selectable FM frequencies and adjustable output level. It allows the addition of an auxiliary audio source (XM radio, DVD player, MP3 player, etc) to any FM radio. You will need to buy a special antenna adapter for my 2005 Legacy GT wagon. I had brought another FM modulator from XM Radio, thinking it would work.

I should get this item by next week, I’ll keep you posted after the install.

go to your local circuit city and get items: MET-40SB10 and MET-40SB20.

those are the antenna adapters you need, from stock plug to aftermarket, then from aftermarket to stock plug...

Damn, I had order them all ready.:(

go to your local circuit city and get items: MET-40SB10 and MET-40SB20.

those are the antenna adapters you need, from stock plug to aftermarket, then from aftermarket to stock plug...

Wow, I had checked Circuit City there are about $24.99 each adapters! I got them for $26.00 for both adapters.

Does wiring an FM modulator directly into the antenna feed provide a noticably better sound than having it done via one of the regular stand alone adapters?
You probably couldn't find a more biased source of info, but since no one else is chiming in, I'll offer up my opinion - A hardwired FM mod will prevent all forms of inteference and give you a very clean modulated signal, but it will not (in my experience) provide a significantly better audio signal. So, if you're getting a lot of interference with a wireless FM mod, then yea, it will improve the overall sound quality, but if you're using one and not getting much static or interference, then no, not much.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

You probably couldn't find a more biased source of info, but since no one else is chiming in, I'll offer up my opinion - A hardwired FM mod will prevent all forms of inteference and give you a very clean modulated signal, but it will not (in my experience) provide a significantly better audio signal. So, if you're getting a lot of interference with a wireless FM mod, then yea, it will improve the overall sound quality, but if you're using one and not getting much static or interference, then no, not much.

Ahh...

So given the same equally clear channel, both solutions will sound about the same?

I'm moving closer and closer to your product ;)

Jazzy's being a little modest here, but if you're going to go through the trouble of taking apart your center console and putting in a hardwired FM modulator, you should click on the link at the bottom of his posts and order one of his magic boards.

An FM modulator, hardwired or not, will only deliver FM-quality sound at best. Your XM, iPod or any other audio device is capable of CD-quality sound. You will definetly hear the difference.

My recommendation is to return the modulator and connector and install one of Jazzy's boards. It's only a few more steps beyond what you would do with an FM modulator, but it's cheaper and gives you FAR better sound quality.

Ken

(One of Jazzy's early customers and fully satisfied)

Jazzy's being a little modest here, but if you're going to go through the trouble of taking apart your center console and putting in a hardwired FM modulator, you should click on the link at the bottom of his posts and order one of his magic boards.

An FM modulator, hardwired or not, will only deliver FM-quality sound at best. Your XM, iPod or any other audio device is capable of CD-quality sound. You will definetly hear the difference.

My recommendation is to return the modulator and connector and install one of Jazzy's boards. It's only a few more steps beyond what you would do with an FM modulator, but it's cheaper and gives you FAR better sound quality.

Ken

(One of Jazzy's early customers and fully satisfied)

I was going to do that mod. But the notion of using a blank cd, and playing it all time dosen't thrill me.

I was going to do that mod. But the notion of using a blank cd, and playing it all time dosen't thrill me.
+1 Yup. That part is pretty lame, I will be the first to agree with you 100% on that. Given the alternatives however, it was the still option I preferred. Several owners are happy with FM modulators though. I hope you are too. In the end, whatever floats your boat is all that matters.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

Just to voice my opinion... I have a hardwired FM modulator for my car computer and just bought Jazzy's board. I'm content with the audio quality of the FM transmission, but I prefer the ability to switch seamlessly between my computer's audio and radio stations.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived