LegacyGT.com

MT/Front Diff oil level ...

JoeGT

Anybody else had the chance to check their manual transmission/front differential oil level yet? Following the string of low power steering fluid vehicles, I checked all my fluid levels. I had to take the large plastic cover off to get to the dipstick. The dipstick was barely wet with gear oil, right around the low mark. My driveway is very slightly tilted, so that may explain part of the lower oil level. Not low enough to be a concern, but still, I'm going to add just a few ounces of gear oil to get it more comfortably in the middle of the low/full mark.

Mine was on the low mark as well, and I topped it off with about 1/4 qts to reach the full dot, and man, did it ever totally smooth out the shifting! I mean before it was pretty good, but after it was noticeably better, like a hot knife thru butter!!!

[quote name='Deer Killer']my engine oil was probably a half quart too full.[/quote] BTW, my engine oil was a too high as well. That was the reason I did an oil change at ~ 550 miles. I plan to add just a small amount of MT fluid (I checked the fluid level in my garage which is very close to level - not perfect but close enought not to make it read almost lower than the L mark).

• 1 month later...
Had my 5MT get the 3K mile service this past weekend at the Subie dealer. When I lifted the hood before leaving, I noticed (for the first time) that the PS fluid was WAY LOW! I asked the service manager if I could get some added and he said sure. I asked him if it was unusual for a car that's only 6 weeks old to be nearly out of PS fluid. He said it was probably filled too low from the "factory." I was unaware of a general low PS fluid issue with the LGT. Is there some basic flaw or real problem with the PS system in this car? I sure hope not. I really love my LGT. I plan to return to the dealer tomorrow with a printout of this thread and ask the service dept to check all the car's fluids....esp. the front diff.

Archived