LegacyGT.com

Butt dyno LGT vs. 2.5i

Took my car in for 30K service today and got a 2.5i rental. My butt dyno concluded that the 2.5i may have the edge on the LGT until you hit 1500 rpm. It feels like there's a tad more torque from idle to 1500. From then on, NOTHING. I'm so glad I bought a LGT.

I also have had a 2.5i loaner for the past couple of days ('06 Forester).

I also noticed that it had more part-throttle, low-rpm torque than I expected. Not something that I would buy, but for most folks who are not into performance, that engine would be acceptable for normal driving with a 4EAT or 5EAT. Of course, once you poke it, it will then wheeze up to redline.

In looking under the hood, I was a bit surprised to see plug wires. I guess the COP (coil-on-plug) is just for the turbo 2.5.

Ron

the 2.5i is still much peppier than my old Acura 4-slinger and my wife's KA24 powered Altima.

Plus my in-law's have 2 Outbacks powered by the 2.5. They are fun cars, just not as frantic as the GT.

My 06 Leg is plenty peppy for me. And I have had 200+ hp cars. The boxer has character at low speeds, I like that ;) It cruises at 80-90mph just fine for hours at a time.

Just wish it shifted below 3k in first gear.

the 2.5i is still much peppier than ... my wife's KA24 powered Altima.

automatic, and what year? specs wise, I thought the 1st gen altima was significantly faster than the current 2.5i cars, even the imprezas, primarily with weight advantage.

I had an 06 2.5i as a loaner for a day and I was impressed with it as well. It's nowhere near the performance of the turbo, particularly if you drive the turbo right but it'll get off the line quick enough and it's certainly capable of getting the car around in a respectable manner.

Good little engine!

Yeah I think the 2.5i is pretty peppy when you comepare it to the competition. I find the 06 honda civic positivly doggy off the line with an auto. Try an accord with a 4banger, you'll apperciate that 175hp. But I know what you guys mean, floor an 06 foster at 80mph, and your like noise? Where's the power.

Everythings relative. Different strokes for different folks.

Of course, I guess I mean that coming from 1.8T's, Honda V6's, and BMW I-6's, while the 2.5i isn't a rocket, I don't feel scared like I would in most other 4 cylinders.

I have also never driven a Forester. Maybe at speed they feel more sluggish because of weight issues and aero issues? Who knows....the 2.5i Legacy sedan is a tidy little car for the price though :)

Of course, I guess I mean that coming from 1.8T's, Honda V6's, and BMW I-6's, while the 2.5i isn't a rocket, I don't feel scared like I would in most other 4 cylinders.

I have also never driven a Forester. Maybe at speed they feel more sluggish because of weight issues and aero issues? Who knows....the 2.5i Legacy sedan is a tidy little car for the price though :)

Actually, being based on the Impreza, the Forester is relatively light. before I saw the new LGT a few years ago, a Forester XT 2.5 5-speed was my choice. And C&D got a 13.8 out of it in their 8/2003 test.

FWIW, my wife's car is a '95 Del Sol Si automatic that we bought new. Off the line, power is anemic, but once it gets rolling out to the 7k shift point it runs pretty well.

Ron

When I got my LGT last month, I bought my wife a new Impreza 2.5i automatic.....I hate to admit it, but that thing is great fun to drive. It is not a 1/4 mile bandit but it is a ball on back roads. I used to drive a modded 2002 RS and the new Imp is just about as quick. I put the 17" LGT wheels and tires on it...(RE92's and a bigger insurance policy on her??:) )...it is a cool car for the $$$$:icon_lol:

When I got my LGT last month, I bought my wife a new Impreza 2.5i automatic.....I hate to admit it, but that thing is great fun to drive. It is not a 1/4 mile bandit but it is a ball on back roads. I used to drive a modded 2002 RS and the new Imp is just about as quick. I put the 17" LGT wheels and tires on it...(RE92's and a bigger insurance policy on her??:) )...it is a cool car for the $$$$:icon_lol:

I did sorta the same just a while latter,,wife loves the 2.5i,,and it IS quicker fr the 1st 1000-2000 rpm or so.

Archived