LegacyGT.com

My two cents on winter driving

AWD_Rules3830

Well after reading and researching about the RE92's and such ... i've come to some conclusions :).

I'm currently debating weather to replace my stock treads with most likely Pirelli PZero Nero M+S. I have yet to drive my stocks in snow and probably won't for the rest of the season, however we might get some more snow in Nebraska. I do plan to drive them for the rest of the summer and see how it goes in the first snow next season. My conclusions however ...

It seems to be that the people who get into wreck in the winter, many a times below 20 mph, just from reading their discriptions from what happen seem to have no idea how to drive in the snow. I also think many a times they are guilty of understating how fast they were going as well. It's pretty easy for someone to drive an AWD car and get great start out on the line, get really confident and think they can take a corner like Mario Andretti, they can't. AWD, in addition to a 250 hp engine won't help you in the corners.

Many people on the forum i believe have kept there stock tires and have been fine in the winter. Why are they fine in the winter, because they know how to drive in the winter.

I started driving on RWD based 4WD Fords that didnt have much hp (160 hp 220 ib-ft in my last explorer, which was my car, and my mom's expedition that had 260 hp and about 300 something lb-ft of torque) but nice ammounts of torque ... so my cars oversteered alot ... i learned how to control oversteer in the snow quickly and learned how to have fun within the limits.

Well just have to see how things turn out, i didn't have some heavy rain downpour today and the car was fine. That was during the day; at night the car started to feel alot more finicky. If anyone has a good answer to that, my best guess it how warm the tires are, but i don't know. :iam:

I love my car ... basically.

Alaska snow is mostly powder that gets pressed nicely into our roads and forms uneven surfaces, glare ice and variable wet/dry spots.

The RE92s can't hold lateral grip in dry situations let alone the one I described. Use and abuse the RE92s for the summer and get yourself a good set of nearly anything to improve your driving experience.

I've been driving on the RE92A's for a month and I have to say I don't find them anywhere nearly as bad in dry or wet as others here do. They have significant cornering grip. I haven't tried them in standing water yet so hydroplaning may be poor, just don't know for myself.

I plan to drive them this season as I couldn't sell them ($30 each in new condition!). I'll put about 15,000 miles on them so they won't owe me anything at that point.

I was pleased that the Nokian RSI's didn't wear much in nearly 5,000 miles on mostly dry roads.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

I too think they're at worst average for a stock tire in the wet and dry. They're pretty bad compared to the really good tires you can buy aftermarket, but not really very many cars come stock with good high performance tires, especially good high performance all seasons.

In the snow is another story.

You're right.

I think a lot of the people have the assumption that because it says symetrical AWD it means stability control too. Wrong! The rear viscous limited slip doesnt react fast enough for stability control. You will get into trouble pretty quickly especially if you are used to computers in other cars making you look good.

I don't find the re92s difficult to drive on in the snow at all. I had some hardcore summer stickies on my A4, and that was a PITA. Tapping the brakes would turn the car into a tobogan. :) The re92s do "ok" for me. But then I've literally never owned a pair of snow tires - just all seaons.

+1

As long as one keeps well within the narrow performance confines of the RE92s, even in snow, I totally think they'll be just fine (and remember to check tire pressures!).

Unless I'm specifically out to have fun, I tend to drive like a pussycat in the slick stuff. And honestly, neither my RE92s nor my wife's, on her Rex, were much of a hinderance at all during our typical NE-Ohio winter's icy/snowy precip.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

hmmm ... we just a 12+in. plus snow storm, but the snow it gone by now and we are back to 50 to 60 degree days. This was the only significate snow lincoln got all season. I was skiing in Colorado with friends so i didnt get to drive in the snow; i kinda wish i did get a chance to.

We get about ... usually ... three to four storms that bring 4" to 8" snow per year. About every 4 to 8 years we will get a 12" + storm. This year was noticeably warmer and we only got one major snow.

i think im just going to drive the hell out of the RE92's this summer and just get some Pirelli's next fall. Will these tires void the warranty?? do i need to get some after market rims as well and switch them everytime i go to the dealer haha

Could someone answer this, why do i get better traction during the day with more rain and worse traction with less rain at night?? tire temp?

I love my car ... basically.

Archived