LegacyGT.com

Legacy GT test drive - areas for improvement

Went for a test drive two weeks ago in the GT and overall had a favorable impression. Car was smooth (engine and shifting), easy to drive, comfortable, and fun. Acceleration was decent as was handling. In the end, however, it falls short. The suspension is much too soft and cornering suffers. No real complaints about acceleration but it's no neck-snapper. Styling is markedly improved over past Subarus but is still rather sedate and ordinary. I would like a new snow-capable car with a real back seat that can fit four adults. Subaru's Boxer layout and AWD are ideal. But I can't justify spending ~28k and giving up performance and styling in the process. If Subaru is listening, bring out the Legacy STi. As respectable as the GT is (and better than any of its competitors), I'd much rather spend 35k on a more aggressive and performance-oriented Legacy. Until then, I'll keep what I got.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hmmmmm..... you have to remember that the new legacy is geared towards those seeking out luxury over performance. the gt is subarus answer to cries like yours, but if that performance isn't enough for you, maybe what you are really looking for it not a leg gt. if u want pure speed, get a sti, if u want a compromise between speed and luxury, get the leg gt.

It is enough for me. Like the fact you can get a GT under 26K to boot, not sure how much longer you'll be able to get such a capable car that does so much well for so little. I'm getting in when the getting is good, and when I get bored, the aftermarket shall provide. Just about ideal really. -B

[quote name='IwantaLGTsti']Went for a test drive two weeks ago in the GT and overall had a favorable impression. Car was smooth (engine and shifting), easy to drive, comfortable, and fun. Acceleration was decent as was handling. In the end, however, it falls short. The suspension is much too soft and cornering suffers. No real complaints about acceleration but it's no neck-snapper. Styling is markedly improved over past Subarus but is still rather sedate and ordinary. I would like a new snow-capable car with a real back seat that can fit four adults. Subaru's Boxer layout and AWD are ideal. But [b]I can't justify spending ~28k and giving up performance and styling in the process[/b]. If Subaru is listening, bring out the Legacy STi. As respectable as the GT is (and better than any of its competitors), I'd much rather spend 35k on a more aggressive and performance-oriented Legacy. Until then, I'll keep what I got.[/quote] Have I got a car for you! It's a bit smaller, so I'm not sure how comfortable two of those four adults will be, but for only $17,000. more than a Legacy GT you can buy an S4. Enjoy.

I will agree with the suspension....could use some stiffening for my tastes....but I don't think Subaru's plan was to make the GT as rigid as the STI. Remember that if you don't like the handling you can change it and still come in under the STI. And thats with a good set of Coilovers and some sways. The precedent I am using is my Rx-8?? hehe
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

Local road conditions have a lot to do with suspension choices. As nice as better handling car would be, it's just too impractical. This is of course unless it isn't your daily driver. If you've seen the roads in japan you can understand why they get a stiffer suspension.

[quote name='mmanus88']hmmmmm..... if u want pure speed, get a sti, if u want a compromise between speed and luxury, get the leg gt.[/quote] No, my buddy has an Impreza STi and I've driven it on multiple occasions for extended distances. It is rather wicked and "stupid fast". I now know what that term means. However, it's way too high strung, the steering is unforgiving, and it gets squirrely when lifting off the throttle around a corner (maybe they fixed that on the 2005?). Not to mention the ride is a bit harsh, the interior is spartan, and there is not even a ski pass-thru! In fact, I think he would prefer my car for normal driving. I want STi performance and Legacy sophistication and I know it can be done. An electronic height-adjustable suspension with sport and tour modes would be nice ;) Short of ECS, bridge the gap halfway between the Impreza STi and the LGT. [quote name='jk']Have I got a car for you! It's a bit smaller, so I'm not sure how comfortable two of those four adults will be, but for only $17,000. more than a Legacy GT you can buy an S4. Enjoy.[/quote] I've actually considered a used S4. Too expensive new as you point out. [quote name='il collaudatore']What other cars have you driven/owned that have better handling than the Legacy? Just wondering what cars, if any have set your benchmark for handling.[/quote] I own a 3000GT VR4 and have driven the Impreza STi and a 911. So yeah, it's a pretty high benchmark for a family sedan. But I don't think Subaru is marketing it as just an ordinary family sedan.

unfortunately you are looking for a perfect car; trust me, they don't exist. consumners will always have qualms even if the complaints are negligable, about naything. that is what 3rd party parts are for. buy whichever car you desire, and fix whatever problems it has by modding it. you have to understand, car companies could make perfect cars that would satisfy people in every way, but then both the car companies and 3rd party companied would go bankrupt.

Maybe you might want to take a look at the Volvo S60R, it may be a bit more to your liking. Remember what this car costs in comparison to the others with similar hardware but perhaps maybe a little more interior features. Like mmanus said, there is no 'perfect' car.

didn't some dude is trying to sell his VR4 or was it a dodge stealth for an LGT? Uhm... the 911 and the STi are different cars compared to the GT. I've driven them too quite a bit and I would not expect the GT to provide the aural sensation of a 911 nor the point and shoot capabilities of the STi. Instead my expectation of the GT should be in line with that of a 330i which it is and more. I believe a used M5 would fit your bill in your case.

[quote name='IwantaLGTsti']No real complaints about acceleration but it's no neck-snapper. Styling is markedly improved over past Subarus but is still rather sedate and ordinary. [/quote] Was the car near new? It takes a while to loosen. Mine didn't show its real strength until after about 5k. I agreee about the styling. Could have been better.

I think I am "that dude". My [url=http://moojohn.com/stealth]Stealth[/url] is for sale and it will hopefully have a new home in the next day or two. I *may* be able to buy a new Legacy this weekend - if not, very soon thereafter. I am buying the LGT not only for what it is, but for what it can easily become with the right mods. It's a great platform to start with - certainly a better choice than the standard issue soccer mom cars that seem to sell themselves. Is the Legacy as fast as a stock twin turbo 3kGT? Actually, pretty close! It's maybe 1-2 tenths and 1-2 mph slower at the most, which isn't bad considering it's a 4 door family car. My Stealth runs 12.5 @ 109 using stock turbos, cat-back, and fuel pump, all with a weight of 4070 lbs with me (280) in it. The Subaru is 600 lbs lighter and only half a liter less engine. That's a good recipe for fun! Does the Legacy handle like my Stealth? Nope. I didn't expect it too either. I've got 275 width tires and electronic suspension. No matter what negative things you may have heard about the Stealth/3kGT's weight and "poor" handling, it's mostly just rumor and conjecture. Magazine tests show it to be very competitive with cars in its class even through the late 90s. Check out this [url=http://www.stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p16.jpg]skidpad test[/url] from 1997. It also [url=http://www.stealth316.com/images/mt_5-97-p17.jpg]out slalom'ed[/url] the C5. I've considered a used A6 2.7t but decided why get used car with ~ 30k miles on it when I can get a brand new LGT Limited for the same price? Plus, when it's time to upgrade, it's always cheaper with one turbo. That, and the aftermarket community is very strong for the STi drivetrain. In my test-drive, I found the Legacy's suspension to be exactly what I wanted: comfortable in normal driving and still able to have fun when I want to. There will be plenty of upgrades on the market for anyone wishing for a more bone-jarring ride. For nearly $30k, I could buy a lot of cars. I've owned a half-dozen Eclipses, a Galant VR4, a Mirage turbo, and two Stealths. I've decided on a Legacy, and I cant' wait to get started!

I really don't know how much better of a performance touring car you could get for less then what subaru is selling the Legacy GT for. Actually as people brought up on the boards, Car and Driver is doing a show this month on cars in the GT's class/price range, some audi's/volvo's and stuff will be in it. But personally I know for a fact none will be faster then a GT. The speed of the GT is very deceptive, you don't feel it, but after running against my friends WRX stage 2, STI 2005, and another WRX Stage 4 I can say it runs very well and both I and each of them were surprised how well I kept up. As for the handling, I think with a decent set of tires (as the re-92s are worth crap) it will be a lot better. I am starting to learn the suspension myself just now after about 1600 miles, starting to learn where it will break loose in the rear and when I am approaching its limits, but I still have learning to do. But as I thought with the WRX, I think with the LGT, their isn't anything better thats in the same price range for a new Touring car. The LGT really is one of the few cars deserving the GT name on the back now.

[quote name='IwantaLGTsti']Went for a test drive two weeks ago in the GT and overall had a favorable impression. Car was smooth (engine and shifting), easy to drive, comfortable, and fun. Acceleration was decent as was handling. In the end, however, it falls short. The suspension is much too soft and cornering suffers. No real complaints about acceleration but it's no neck-snapper. Styling is markedly improved over past Subarus but is still rather sedate and ordinary. I would like a new snow-capable car with a real back seat that can fit four adults. Subaru's Boxer layout and AWD are ideal. But I can't justify spending ~28k and giving up performance and styling in the process. If Subaru is listening, bring out the Legacy STi. As respectable as the GT is (and better than any of its competitors), I'd much rather spend 35k on a more aggressive and performance-oriented Legacy. Until then, I'll keep what I got.[/quote] I feel the exact same way you do. However, I have not ruled out this car as I am holding out for someone to develop some nice power and handling modifications for it. Like someone else mentioned, the new Leg. GT is a nice base to start with. I'd like to bump it up to 300 hp or so and increase handling a bit more. I'd also like to throw on some 18" wheels with summer tires. The exhaust note could be improved as well.

[quote name='kanoswrx']I really don't know how much better of a performance touring car you could get for less then what subaru is selling the Legacy GT for. Actually as people brought up on the boards, Car and Driver is doing a show this month on cars in the GT's class/price range, some audi's/volvo's and stuff will be in it. But personally I know for a fact none will be faster then a GT. The speed of the GT is very deceptive, you don't feel it, but after running against my friends WRX stage 2, STI 2005, and another WRX Stage 4 I can say it runs very well and both I and each of them were surprised how well I kept up. As for the handling, I think with a decent set of tires (as the re-92s are worth crap) it will be a lot better. I am starting to learn the suspension myself just now after about 1600 miles, starting to learn where it will break loose in the rear and when I am approaching its limits, but I still have learning to do. But as I thought with the WRX, I think with the LGT, their isn't anything better thats in the same price range for a new Touring car. The LGT really is one of the few cars deserving the GT name on the back now.[/quote] As Kanoswrx said, change the tires and you will get a whole different experience. Just go and see in the tire board for more info.

[quote name='wunderkind']didn't some dude is trying to sell his VR4 or was it a dodge stealth for an LGT? Uhm... the 911 and the STi are different cars compared to the GT. I've driven them too quite a bit and I would not expect the GT to provide the aural sensation of a 911 nor the point and shoot capabilities of the STi. Instead my expectation of the GT should be in line with that of a 330i which it is and more. I believe a used M5 would fit your bill in your case.[/quote] I'm sorry, but the GT is no 330i. And if you slap on BMW's performance package on the 330i, it will distance itself even further from GT. But, the GT also doesn't cost $35-40K either. You get what you pay for most of the time. If the two cars were priced the same, I would take a 330i over the GT in a heartbeat.

[quote name='Mono'][quote name='wunderkind']didn't some dude is trying to sell his VR4 or was it a dodge stealth for an LGT? Uhm... the 911 and the STi are different cars compared to the GT. I've driven them too quite a bit and I would not expect the GT to provide the aural sensation of a 911 nor the point and shoot capabilities of the STi. Instead my expectation of the GT should be in line with that of a 330i which it is and more. I believe a used M5 would fit your bill in your case.[/quote] I'm sorry, but the GT is no 330i. And if you slap on BMW's performance package on the 330i, it will distance itself even further from GT. But, the GT also doesn't cost $35-40K either. You get what you pay for most of the time. If the two cars were priced the same, I would take a 330i over the GT in a heartbeat.[/quote] If the GT and 330i were priced the same I still might not take the 330i, its not as fast, nor does it have AWD (granted they have a 330xi, but their awd isn't as good as subarus), plus its gonna be less reliable and when you do have to fix something its gonna cost a arm and a leg to fix the BMW. The only reason people really buy the BMW's are so they can say they own a BMW. Granted they do make some nice cars that are true performers, I would love a M3, I really love that car. But the 330's, although they have good performance, and handle nice, they just aren't worth the money I dont think. That extra 15-20k dollars really just buys you a name. If it were me and I had 40k to spend, I would get the LGT and buy a Ducati bike :) now thats a high profile name which will run circles around a BMW, and still would save money over buying the BMW :)

[quote]I'm sorry, but the GT is no 330i. And if you slap on BMW's performance package on the 330i, it will distance itself even further from GT. But, the GT also doesn't cost $35-40K either. You get what you pay for most of the time. If the two cars were priced the same, I would take a 330i over the GT in a heartbeat.[/quote] You're forgiven. I'll just pretend I didn't read it. ;) As mentioned as above, since my folks has a 01 330ci I can make comparison amongst these two knowledgeably. The GT soundly trounces the 3-er. But hey, can never convince a badge whore right? Hence the premium over a plastic piece that's smaller than your palm.

[quote name='Mono'][quote name='IwantaLGTsti']Went for a test drive two weeks ago in the GT and overall had a favorable impression. Car was smooth (engine and shifting), easy to drive, comfortable, and fun. Acceleration was decent as was handling. In the end, however, it falls short. The suspension is much too soft and cornering suffers. No real complaints about acceleration but it's no neck-snapper. Styling is markedly improved over past Subarus but is still rather sedate and ordinary. I would like a new snow-capable car with a real back seat that can fit four adults. Subaru's Boxer layout and AWD are ideal. But I can't justify spending ~28k and giving up performance and styling in the process. If Subaru is listening, bring out the Legacy STi. As respectable as the GT is (and better than any of its competitors), I'd much rather spend 35k on a more aggressive and performance-oriented Legacy. Until then, I'll keep what I got.[/quote] I feel the exact same way you do. However, I have not ruled out this car as I am holding out for someone to develop some nice power and handling modifications for it. Like someone else mentioned, the new Leg. GT is a nice base to start with. I'd like to bump it up to 300 hp or so and increase handling a bit more. I'd also like to throw on some 18" wheels with summer tires. The exhaust note could be improved as well.[/quote] If the GT came stock with 350hp and 19" wheels, there would still be people complaining that it is not enough. Accept the car for what it is, and go to the aftermarket to satisfy your needs.

Archived