LegacyGT.com

How much can the plastic intake manfold handle???

what

I am looking at upgrading.. a pretty good bit. I am looking to get over 350 hp at the wheels and wondering if anyone knows how much the plastic intake manifold can handle.. either HP or boost??

I don't know how much it can handle max, but Jarrad of PDXTuning is running it on his rotated mount gt30R setup. To the tune of 400whp! I believe a customer of Harman Motive is also using the plastic manifold on an STI, and it also is a rotated setup with I believe a gt35R. So you can rest easy knowing that this plastic manifold is able to support some big number's....

BOXRPWR hit 380whp with 100 octane using the stock LGT manifold. My friend's STi hit 380whp on 91 octane with his GT30'd STi that uses a flipped LGT manifold.. 100 octane tune on that car is pending.
"some say, his arms are made of coiled adamantium fibers. And that he tops his cereal with nuts and bolts. All we know is, he's called the Jose."

you should be fine. if you look at the new '06 wrx's, they have plastic attached directly to the turbos. the first time i saw it, it blew my mind. i would have thought the turbo would melt the plastic, but i guess it's made to resist the heat. go for it, and like peterjmc said, just keep some money handy in case of emergency.

If you do keep the stock TMIC, I would keep some cash ready to spend incase of emergency. There have been posts where the tabs started to break or become loose on some modded leggys.
People would upgrade there cars to this much power and have no cash available to fix a TMIC? uh-huh.. so sad..

I was talking with a friend when I was considering an STI swap, he suggested I actually stick with plastic manifold. He believes the plastic resists heatsoak with its low thermal conductivity and is in no danger of blowing out. Noting that the japanese craftmanship with such plastic components is top rate and that the amount of boost psi most people are willing to put through a stock bottom is no threat to it at all. I really do trust his opinion, I'm going to stick with it.

I was talking with a friend when I was considering an STI swap, he suggested I actually stick with plastic manifold. He believes the plastic resists heatsoak with its low thermal conductivity and is in no danger of blowing out. Noting that the japanese craftmanship with such plastic components is top rate and that the amount of boost psi most people are willing to put through a stock bottom is no threat to it at all. I really do trust his opinion, I'm going to stick with it.

sounds sound :icon_tong

As long as you are tuned nicely, you should be fine. Detonation will be the IM's enemy. But you should be good, unless you are gonna make a 800whp beast, lol. I dont know how much it can handle though. 800whp would be nice, especially with the stock turbo...

Mine was way crappier on my civic. I boosted 10-13psi on it, which is a LOT on a stock civic motor. It never had a prob. I even had to shave some of it down to fit my oil return line. It got a little hole in it, and we j-b welded it back shut, haha. It never had a prob though. Unless thats why my idle was up and down, up and down when I sold the car, hahahaha. probably....

Archived