LegacyGT.com

Drag Racing 101

ChruiSSer

For all those guys who don't know, I'm posting this for 2 reasons.

1) Drag racing basics, Do's and Don'ts

2) Tips I've learned...the not so hard way

1) Instead of writing it all out, the basics can be found here... http://www.greerdragway.com/drag101.htm Most of us know the basics, but this is for those who don't.

2) Just some pointers that I've found to help at the track!

a) With our cars and having the intercooler located on the top of the motor, most have found that we tend to get "heat soak". This is when the car runs like crap because the intercooler is superheated, defeating the purpose of the intercooler itself. It acts as a reverse intercooler, HEATING the incoming air rather than COOLING it. It KILLS our cars. The best thing to do is let your car cool down between runs.

COOLING

OPEN the hood and let the car cool down.

You can also run the heat on 85 with the A/C on to run the fans and take the heat out of the system. Make sure the car is not running, but in the ON position. This will take the heat out of the system. You'll notice that the air will start out warm, then go cold. Because the car isn't running, you aren't circulating coolant through the heater core.

The FASTEST way to cool the car down is to open the hood, run the heat, and once it cools down, start the car for about 15 seconds, then shut it off and let the air run cold. Then repeat it over and over till the temp guage is as low as it'll go.

Launching

As far as launching, there are several ways to go about it. The easiest, least harmful way is to just slip the clutch. You'll get a respectable 60', keep your clutch happy, and not break anything. Keep the rpms at 3,000rpm, and on the last yellow light before the green, start slipping it and getting on the gas a little bit more.

LAUNCHING! -

If you have no fear and want to go balls out, launch it hard! Rev the car up to about 5,000rpm. To build boost, you can "blip" the throttle quickly to build and maintain some boost to help you on the launch. I personally blip it between 5500 and 6000. Then on the last yellow, bring the clutch out quickly while flooring it. You'll need to let the clutch out at the exact same time you floor it to maximize the effect. I've been pulling consistent 1.7x 60' with this technique.

Good luck! let me know if there's anything I've missed.

One more tip.....

If heatsoak is an issue (long staging )purchase some dry ice & take it to the track.

Place it on the intercooler when you are 5-6 cars out from running. A whole lot less messy than a bag of ice;)

One tip....do not use your bare hands..(Loss of flesh)..Gloves!

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

What we have down here in sunny FL is another story.....

Many times even in the dead of winter;)

65-70* Temps.....

Staging lanes with 10-15 cars in each lane......I have seen guys go through 3 bags of ice cooling down just to be turned around for leaking fluid:lol:

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

a) With our cars and having the intercooler located on the top of the motor, most have found that we tend to get "heat soak". This is when the car runs like crap because the intercooler is superheated, defeating the purpose of the intercooler itself. It acts as a reverse intercooler, HEATING the incoming air rather than COOLING it. It KILLS our cars. The best thing to do is let your car cool down between runs.

COOLING

OPEN the hood and let the car cool down.

You can also run the heat on 85 with the A/C on to run the fans and take the heat out of the system. Make sure the car is not running, but in the ON position. This will take the heat out of the system. You'll notice that the air will start out warm, then go cold. Because the car isn't running, you aren't circulating coolant through the heater core.

The FASTEST way to cool the car down is to open the hood, run the heat, and once it cools down, start the car for about 15 seconds, then shut it off and let the air run cold. Then repeat it over and over till the temp guage is as low as it'll go.

I found that I get the best times when I hot lap. I run once and then jump right back and go again almost immediately, kinda hard to do on a busy day. The intercooler has been cooled from the first run and is more efficient on the second run. If there is going to be some time between runs, then I do practice the method you described above

Archived