LegacyGT.com

Putting one new tire on an AWD...

AWDpower

Does anyone know what the acceptable variance between tires are on our cars? One of my "new" BFG KDW's was ruined by a road hazzard today. The tires are only a few months old, with about 10,000 miles on them. They measured 8/32's of tread depth. BFG lists the tire as 10/32's new. I'll measure the new one before it's installed. The tire guy said that it is just inside the acceptable range for an AWD. A temporary road work sign was secured impoperly, and fell into the roadway screw side up. It punctured both driver's side tires, and one is repairable. I shouldn't have any trouble getting the city to pay for one tire. I'll push for all four if I'm forced to replace them all.

Jason K.

Does anyone know what the acceptable variance between tires are on our cars? One of my "new" BFG KDW's was ruined by a road hazzard today. The tires are only a few months old, with about 10,000 miles on them. They measured 8/32's of tread depth. BFG lists the tire as 10/32's new. I'll measure the new one before it's installed. The tire guy said that it is just inside the acceptable range for an AWD. A temporary road work sign was secured impoperly, and fell into the roadway screw side up. It punctured both driver's side tires, and one is repairable. I shouldn't have any trouble getting the city to pay for one tire. I'll push for all four if I'm forced to replace them all.

Jason K.

I think you are right on the line in regards to if it is acceptable. If I was you, I would keep the repaired tire as a spare in the shed/garage and have 2 new ones installed. I never trust repaired tires....

-S

I think the owner's manual lists the acceptable difference in tread depth.

It is not based on tread depth. It is based on circumference(distance around tire), as long as new tire is within 1/4" circumference of the average of three other tires you are fine.

Within 1/4" circumference would rule out almost any used tire! It's 1/4" diameter. So 1/4"=8/32" approx. so divide that by 2 and you have 4/32= 1/8". As long as your exisiting tires have 6/32" tread left(Assuming new tire tread depth of 10/32"), you will be fine.

Within 1/4" circumference would rule out almost any used tire! It's 1/4" diameter. So 1/4"=8/32" approx. so divide that by 2 and you have 4/32= 1/8". As long as your exisiting tires have 6/32" tread left(Assuming new tire tread depth of 10/32"), you will be fine.

Here is the skinny, circumference not diameter

On All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, it is extremely important that the rolling or outer circumferences of the tires be within 1/4 inch of each other. This means that you must physically measure the size of the tire. This is best done with the weight of the vehicle off the tire and at the tread centerline. Also be certain that the tires are properly inflated since this can affect your readings.

If you need to replace just one tire, the same holds true. The measured difference in circumference between the replacement tire and the other tires on the vehicle cannot exceed 1/4 inch.

Depending on the vehicle mileage, it might be better to replace all four tires.

If the vehicle mileage is low and the tires have been rotated and driven at the proper inflation pressures, then you may be within the allowable 1/4-inch difference in circumference.

If the difference between the new/replacement tire and the current tires is within this 1/4-nch maximum, then the tire should be compatible. If it is not, then other tires will need to be replaced to conform to the 1/4-inch rule.

Exceeding this 1/4-inch difference in tire circumference can place unnecessary wear on drivetrain components, possibly causing them to wear out prematurely.

Here is the skinny, circumference not diameter

On All-Wheel Drive (AWD) vehicles, it is extremely important that the rolling or outer circumferences of the tires be within 1/4 inch of each other. This means that you must physically measure the size of the tire. This is best done with the weight of the vehicle off the tire and at the tread centerline. Also be certain that the tires are properly inflated since this can affect your readings.

If you need to replace just one tire, the same holds true. The measured difference in circumference between the replacement tire and the other tires on the vehicle cannot exceed 1/4 inch.

Depending on the vehicle mileage, it might be better to replace all four tires.

If the vehicle mileage is low and the tires have been rotated and driven at the proper inflation pressures, then you may be within the allowable 1/4-inch difference in circumference.

If the difference between the new/replacement tire and the current tires is within this 1/4-nch maximum, then the tire should be compatible. If it is not, then other tires will need to be replaced to conform to the 1/4-inch rule.

Exceeding this 1/4-inch difference in tire circumference can place unnecessary wear on drivetrain components, possibly causing them to wear out prematurely.

I don't know about that. 1/4" circumference works out to only 1/32" of treadwear. So basically, if you have driven on the tire for a few months, it would be unsuitable to just replace it, and you would then need to replace all of them? That just does not make logical sense.

As for differences in tire circumference, they are valid, just not at a 1/4" diff. It would need to be something closer to 3/4" to make any appreciable difference, which would put you right at my 6/32 tread left opinion.

I just replaced all four due to one non-repairable flat. Fortunately I had 27k miles on the old ones.

The spare is designed to be 'close' in tolerance to the stock tire, but not perfect. Thus the 50mph restriction. I think you're still ok w/ 18s under those circumstances. I'm running the same size and noted no problems when running the spare (~80 miles total).

As speeds increase, that difference in circumference will cause increasing differences in wheel rpm, which puts a lot of stress on the driveline components. It's asking for trouble....

I also had to shave a single tire down to the depth I needed so I could just replace one tire. Tirerack.com will do it for you for $20 (on a new tire you buy from them) if you measure your existing tires and tell them the depth you need. Worked great for me...

All of the tires on your AWD Subaru must be within 1/4 of an inch of rolling circumference (part that touches the road). This is because of our All Wheel Drive System

sounds like it might also be an issue of weight... that extra bit of rubber, when the wheel is spinning at speed, will have more angular momentum than the smaller ones.

i guess i could see how in theory this would be a problem one wheel responding differently to power than all the others could make the car tweak, but unless the tire was flly treaded and the others were very low tread, i cant really imagine it beaing a problem as fas as grip on the road. definately not like driving with a donut on.

"i like my women the way i like terrorists...

...screaming gods name and ready to explode."

http://img255.imageshack.us/img255/5479/troy3nu5.jpg

1/4-inch difference at stock size is approximately 1%. At 60mph, this translates to about 8rpm difference. That means your differential is "turning" at 8rpm constantly while cruising down the highway.

Is that a problem? Will that kind of speed differential wear out a viscous-coupled LSD?

Is this more a problem with clutch-type center "differentials" (aka "active" AWD)? I could see how this could potential result in binding or more wear on the clutches.

I'm curious. I would be surprised if this would be as big an issue with say the 5MT. I guess if you have to do it, put the odd-sized tire on the front with the open differential.

--Lee

Archived