LegacyGT.com

tips anyone?

UdienTZ

well swaybars a fairly inexpensive, front back around $300, and maybe intake, aftermarket or make your own very simple $8 bucks. do some searchs on this site theres alot of info on upgrades for the older models

Well there isnt much you can do to sigificantly pep up the engine with out spending some serious $$$, but here's some of what I've done so far on my '97 GT.

Intake kit, you can find some hither ---> http://rallitek.com/catalog.asp?VEH_ID=24

Strut Tower bars, hither ---> http://www.boxer4racing.com/

I've got a few other things, but thats a good start and you can see some of the parts you have access to. Word of advice, dont get the Cusco Rear Underbar, I have one, its really nice and firmed the car up a bit more, but it was the biggest PITA to put in, but if you had access to a lift then it would be easier, I think I was under the car for 2 mebe 3 hours getting that baby on and modifying it to fit right....

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with under-drive pully kits?

I have a 05 Legacy GT 2.5 5eat Limited wagon that I've added Unorthodox Racing Pulleys to.....noticeable difference. I had a 2000 Impreza RS 2.5 that I added the Unorthodox Crankshaft pulley only.....noticeable difference as well. So yes, it's a mod that I've had good experience with. If you have automatic get a trigger to hookup to battery and starter solenoid, foul a breaker bar or big ratchet against frame on driver side, bump trigger to easily break the crankshaft bolt loose, manual transmission, just put in 5th gear and have someone hold brake, should break rather easy on manual. I recommend torquing to specs specified with paperwork that comes with crankshaft, also the use of some good anti-seize on shafts and I.D. of pulleys so that if you ever need to remove, hopefully it will be easy and prevent damage to the soft aluminum pulleys.

AP Stage II, Crucial Racing Uppipe(ordered), Stromung DP, Unorthodox Racing Pulleys, Piaa FR-S Wheels, Nitto Neo-Gens.

well swaybars a fairly inexpensive, front back around $300, and maybe intake, aftermarket or make your own very simple $8 bucks. do some searchs on this site theres alot of info on upgrades for the older models

I picked up an Outback rear sway bar for $40. Its 2mm larger than stock GT. (stiffness goes to the thickness cubed) very good $:perf ratio.

Looking for fairly easy low $$ tips on how to pep up the engine on my new (to me) 97 Legacy GT.

thanks in advance for any suggestions made!

:)

Start by making sure it's well tuned. NGK plugs, air filter. Plug wires. Techron injector cleaner. How many miles on it?

Under drive not good on Suby engines, go light weight...

http://rallitek.com/products.asp?ID=570&PP=Y&HB=&ACC=&SP=

All that mildly underdriven pulleys do is slow down power-steering pump and alternator a tiny bit, now some of the racing pulleys out there go to extreme, but it's free horsepower. My stock crankshaft and p/s pulley's weighed 6.35lbs, my Unorthodox Pulleys only weighed 1.35lbs. Approximately 2.7HP for every pound you shave off of crank so there was 5 * 2.7 = 13.5HP, plus the fact that I'm underdriving a little, that's a very cost effective mod, probably around 15HP that was just being wasted driving heavy ass steel pulleys, if anything the loss of teh rotating mass will prolong the life of bearings in motor, p/s pump. I can't see how mild underdriving is "BAD". Enlighten me.......:icon_bigg

All that mildly underdriven pulleys do is slow down power-steering pump and alternator a tiny bit, now some of the racing pulleys out there go to extreme, but it's free horsepower. My stock crankshaft and p/s pulley's weighed 6.35lbs, my Unorthodox Pulleys only weighed 1.35lbs. Approximately 2.7HP for every pound you shave off of crank so there was 5 * 2.7 = 13.5HP, plus the fact that I'm underdriving a little, that's a very cost effective mod, probably around 15HP that was just being wasted driving heavy ass steel pulleys, if anything the loss of teh rotating mass will prolong the life of bearings in motor, p/s pump. I can't see how mild underdriving is "BAD". Enlighten me.......:icon_bigg
Mild is fine, just dont go to wild with underdriven pulleys

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

It just turned to 88,000 miles.

PS, I paid $5500 for it. Did I get a good deal? (I'm very happy so regardless you are not going to bum me out saying I paid 1000 too much :p )

That is a good deal. I think I had even better luck $ 2,000 for my GT. They thought it needed an engine. I ended up fixing it and I spent $ 60 dollars. :icon_lol:

It just turned to 88,000 miles.

PS, I paid $5500 for it. Did I get a good deal? (I'm very happy so regardless you are not going to bum me out saying I paid 1000 too much :p )

Good price I got mine with 64K on it last year for $6,800 (then I blew the head gaskets, oops)

Edit whoa, I've almost had it for 2 years now, wow, time flies when you are having fun in a good car!

JDM'd All to hell

RIP Coxx & Thanks

That is a good deal. I think I had even better luck $ 2,000 for my GT. They thought it needed an engine. I ended up fixing it and I spent $ 60 dollars. :icon_lol:

Yeah but you are a subaru tech. so thats not really a fair deal:icon_tong

Archived