LegacyGT.com

Autocross Junkies: Nitpicking the rules regarding stock solo and shock replacement

intercede007

Section 13.5 of the SCCA Stock Solo rules state that you can change the shocks on the car as long as a few conditions are met.

They do not have more than 2 adjustment controls.

Suspension geometry and alignment capability cannot be changed.

Shock travel must be within one inch plus or minus of the stock part.

And lastly, that the mounting hardware should be of the original type.

Apparently, the Bilstein parts require a new upper strut mount because of the differant orientation of the shock absorber. By the SCCA rules, are those shocks illegal?

Technically, the mount is not of the original type for the Legacy GT, but it is for the Spec-B and the Japan market Legacy and Liberties.

The Legacy GT is in the D-Stock class, and the competition is going to be tight enough that I wouldn't want the car thrown out of the class because of a rule violation. Any insight or experience anybody might have would be appreciated!

Jon

Bilsteins should still be ok since you are still using the stock mounting points on all parts of the car.. the shocks dont lower the car and the shocks are within the +/- 1" suspension travel. The top mount still uses the 3 holes that bolts up to the chassis (no change there) and it still connects to the stock hub assembly (no change in there either). The car wont have an alignment capable setup (ie camber plates) and no more than 2 adjustment controls (for those people that spend the $$$ on Motons and Ohlins 2-way bound-rebound shocks). And last I remember, I dont think that you have to use a Spec B top mount for the Spec Bs to work (because you are still using the stock springs as well). Besides, it's not like you changing from a McPherson strut to a Double-wishbone suspension.. so long as you are still maintaining the "original [McPherson] type", you are ok.

You are fine, just slap on an aftermarket larger sway (which is legal for Stock class) and just put some Hoosiers or R-compounds that fit on the stock rims and you are good to go. Good luck against the WRXs.. you're already over 200 lbs from the competition.

I wouldnt even worry about such things unless you are winning right off the bat. Normally, people dont care unless you are running in a regional or national level and that you are winning at least the top 5 spots..

Keefe

what about Bilsteins and Spec B springs then? Not lower, but stiffer.

I'll have to look into it some more, because this is the same case with the M3 vs M3 Lightweights.... (since the Lightweights have the M3 under-X-brace and many non-lightweight owners want that brace, but they cant because it goes against the rules of having "additional support braces that the trim model does not have such parts as optional or standard from the factory and that are not mentioned in the rule book as legal")..

According to the rule on that by some of the ammendments "part of the particular trim level must have all the parts installed from factory spec to be deemed as a legal model" or something jazzy like that.

Basically, if there is something on the Spec B that the normal GT doesnt have and you are adding parts onto the GT that ONLY the Spec B has, you have to add ALL the Spec B parts onto the GT to make it so that your GT is a Spec B packaged car. It's a bit confusing, but when it comes down to it, (such as if one wanted to use Spec B wheels on your GT) then the owner must buy aluminum control arms, NAVI, Shocks, Springs, and leather package to make it so that the GT would be a Spec B car.

BUT because of the 13.5 rule in the rulebook that specify JUST the replacement of shocks, it's ok to JUST get shocks to replace the GT (even if it is the Bilsteins). If there were a set of KYBs or Konis, you can use those too.

Keefe

what about Bilsteins and Spec B springs then? Not lower, but stiffer.

Definitions

12.4 Standard Part

An item of standard or optional equipment that could have been ordered with the car, installed on the factory production line, and delivered through a dealer in the United States. Dealer-installed options or deletions (except as required by factory directives), no matter how common or what their origin, are not included in this definition. This definition does not allow the updating or backdating of parts.

I can't put the Spec-B springs on the car. I'd go with other shocks if another company made a part for our cars, but as far as I can tell, the best bet for better shocks for the Legacy is the Bilstein parts. I'd love to go with pinks. But it's agains the rules.

I was under the impression that the US Spec B used the same wet noodle springs as the GT.

Really? That's great!

Now I just have to get the SCCA to allow me to change the lower control arms in D-Stock and I'll be all set for a Spec-B wagon.... :D

Take your springs to a good metal shop. Have them heated and collaped an inch or so. Easy stock lowering trick. A really good shop can temper them to be stiffer. Cubic bucks always win!
"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

you really dont want to do that anyways, it's pointless, you're not gaining spring rate by doing that.

Fact is that there is a difference in the Spec B arms. Unless there are some drivers that can prove a Spec B is out-right faster than a GT by isolating the car's suspension by using same tires and tire size and the same driver on the same day on the same course..

but hey, what fun is in that anyways? Just go have fun.

Keefe

Take your springs to a good metal shop. Have them heated and collaped an inch or so. Easy stock lowering trick. A really good shop can temper them to be stiffer. Cubic bucks always win!

That would be against the SCCA Solo rules.

Got my membership to the SCCA, paid my dues to the Wiregrass region, and I'll be out killing "puppies" on April 9th. Fitted my helmet, and my Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's get mounted tomorrow, so hopefully I can put some heat into them so that excessive wear won't be too much of an issue that soon out of the box.

Can't wait to get bit by the bug :D

well, i came back this weekend from the "test and tune" with the 1999 RS in STS.. and man, for a stock car with just wheels and tires, this car is hauling major butt!

http://solo.wdcr-scca.org/results/20060326.php

I cant wait to put on the rest of the "secret weapons" on for the car. I swear this car is way faster than my GT as-is!

I am going to catch these National Drivers soon! Nationals, here I come!

Keefe

So would a stock XT also run D-stock, or does it fall into a different class owing to it's increased height?

Depends. I know around here, they wouldn't let a guy run his Explorer SportTrac. He lowered the car darn near to the ground before they'd let him take it out.

Talk to the local SCCA chapter officials, depending on their rules they may or may not let you run :(

So would a stock XT also run D-stock, or does it fall into a different class owing to it's increased height?

you have to look into the rule book to see if your car is specified in the class (I know the 2005 GT is).

As for the height difference, i dont think that matters. I have even autoxed my gf's Turbo 2.5L Baja in H-Stock:

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Baja/img_011469.sized.jpg

here's 04turbogurl (my gf) autoxing the GT:

http://www.rapidimagephotography.com/gallery/albums/Baja/Img_7483edit.sized.jpg

Keefe

I've looked at the classifications, but don't see anything concerning the Outback. I guess my point is, if I were to lower the OB to the same ride height as the GT, that would require spring replacement so I'd no longer be in the stock class. If I remain stock, I'll be sitting 2.5 inches higher than the GT which would seem to be a definite disadvantage in D-stock. I guess there's not enough people running OBs that it has become an issue yet.

"Tempering" or heat treating a spring in any way will not make it stiffer or softer. It can change the yield point, toughness etc. of the steel, but not the stiffness.

If anything, decreasing the coil angle will make the spring softer.

Archived